IC2 Phoning Home...?

• High Orbit Nuke Cannons :evil:

Anyways, the cape thing I'm okay with, but I agree, there needs to be a configuration for the people with crappy internet.

If you don't have the Internet to download a 10kb text file, then I doubt you can play on a minecraft server where you have to download millions of blocks/entities.

• Official Post

Minecraft needs 64kBit/sec download (three times as much if you are moving!) and at least 32 kBit/sec Upload, so it needs 100kBit/sec minimum, and 200kBit/sec is the average crappy but still usable Internet Connection. So, 200kBit / 10KByte (80kBit) = 2.5 seconds to load a Textfile. Mojangs Cape-Check is much larger than that, because you have to download all the Capes of all the people you encounter.

• Official Post

Minecraft needs 64kBit/sec download (three times as much if you are moving!) and at least 32 kBit/sec Upload, so it needs 100kBit/sec minimum, and 200kBit/sec is the average crappy but still usable Internet Connection. So, 200kBit / 10KByte (80kBit) = 2.5 seconds to load a Textfile. Mojangs Cape-Check is much larger than that, because you have to download all the Capes of all the people you encounter.

Even if they are the same?

• Official Post

Even if they are the same?

Yes, Mojang has a Folder for every Player. If they add a Cape for a Player they just put a copy of the Cape into the Playerfolder, so that every Player has another Cape-URL, which causes Minecraft to think all Capes are diffrent.

If you have for example 5 Minecon-Attendees on a Server, the Minecon-Cape will be downloaded 5 times (as soon as you encounter those people on the Server)

• My internet connection drops down to 10kb/s sometimes most times almost always, so yeah...

You can never have enough Medli IC2.

Mojangs Cape-Check is much larger than that, because you have to download all the Capes of all the people you encounter.

are you kidding, there is completely no chance to encounter 5 mojang cape holders at once on 99.9914159265359% of servers.

unlike modpack banlist such "additional" functionality is malicious (violate privacy), you shoud think about it.

• Official Post

are you kidding, there is completely no chance to encounter 5 mojang cape holders at once on 99.9914159265359% of servers.

unlike modpack banlist such "additional" functionality is malicious (violate privacy), you shoud think about it.

Okay, how is giving people a Cape malicious? Please explain how it violates privacy, if people decided to be public?

• Official Post

Well you see greg, Giving someone a cape is malicious because it annoys whiny babies who dont have a cape, and it violates privacy becuase those people complain and get themself alot of hate. Yeah.
    Also: I MADE A MEME :D

• I'm fine with mod authors doing online version checking and getting a cape list off the internet, but if you do it in the main thread, and you don't ffer a way to disable it, you are terrible. Imagine if every mod did this. That's 2.5 seconds of extra startup time for each mod you add. In a heavily modded game, this could mean several minutes spent waiting for mods to grab files off the internet. It already takes FML about 3 minutes to finish loading all the mods I have installed, I don't need that time made even longer because some mod developer wants to give himself a cape.

TL;DR Put an option to disable online version checking/grabbing the cape file.

• Official Post

I'm fine with mod authors doing online version checking and getting a cape list off the internet, but if you do it in the main thread, and you don't ffer a way to disable it, you are terrible. Imagine if every mod did this. That's 2.5 seconds of extra startup time for each mod you add. In a heavily modded game, this could mean several minutes spent waiting for mods to grab files off the internet. It already takes FML about 3 minutes to finish loading all the mods I have installed, I don't need that time made even longer because some mod developer wants to give himself a cape.

I think the Devs should always be hardcoded into the Mod, without needing an Online List, because which Dev would ever play with a seriously outdated Version of his own Mod? Online Lists are only for people who irregularyly join the Capelist. Funny is that cpw and other ForgeDevs are on the same List, instead of just hardcoding it into Forge itself.

TL;DR Put an option to disable online version checking/grabbing the cape file.

I have such Option in my Config, just to clear that up once again...

• Official Post

It already takes FML about 3 minutes to finish loading all the mods I have installed, I don't need that time made even longer because some mod developer wants to give himself a cape.

How many mods? It takes me 1 min and 15 secs to load minecraft with 93 mods.

• Official Post

I think the Devs should always be hardcoded into the Mod, without needing an Online List, because which Dev would ever play with a seriously outdated Version of his own Mod? Online Lists are only for people who irregularyly join the Capelist. Funny is that cpw and other ForgeDevs are on the same List, instead of just hardcoding it into Forge itself.

Capelist for all players can't be hardcoded? Why mod makers decide using online list?

Okay, how is giving people a Cape malicious? Please explain how it violates privacy, if people decided to be public?

Well you see greg, Giving someone a cape is malicious because it annoys whiny babies who dont have a cape, and it violates privacy becuase those people complain and get themself alot of hate. Yeah.

People that have cape deserves them for their "efforts" in my opinion. If you want a cape , you can get one if you either donate or have enough influence to make a mod maker to get one for you.

• Official Post

Capelist for all players can't be hardcoded? Why mod makers decide using online list?

People that have cape deserves them for their "efforts" in my opinion. If you want a cape , you can get one if you either donate or have enough influence to make a mod maker to get one for you.

Exactly, alot of people complain that "Why cant you let me D: YOU ARE SELFISH" instead of "Ok, he donated and i didnt."
    It isnt a punishment for you, its a reward for others.
    Damn whiney babies :3

• How many mods? It takes me 1 min and 15 secs to load minecraft with 93 mods.

92 mods according to FML. It probably doesn't help that a lot of these mods are doing online version checking already without providing a way to disable it.

I have such Option in my Config, just to clear that up once again...

I know, and it's one of the things I like about you. You provide some of the most extensive configs I've ever seen.

• Official Post

92 mods according to FML. It probably doesn't help that a lot of these mods are doing online version checking already without providing a way to disable it.

I know, and it's one of the things I like about you. You provide some of the most extensive configs I've ever seen.

Takes me about 2 minutes to load 125 mods, all depends on your pc.