IC2 Phoning Home...?

• Exactly, alot of people complain that "Why cant you let me D: YOU ARE SELFISH" instead of "Ok, he donated and i didnt."
    It isnt a punishment for you, its a reward for others.
    Damn whiney babies :3

So... what I'm seeing in this discussion is a divide between people with the technical knowledge to get what the problem is here and people that are more concerned with defending the modders and calling names.

If you had read the thread, Sirus, you'd see it's not a question of rewards. If I want a cape all I'd have to do is add another mod, personally- I just edited the minecraft code to use custom capes and skins on my server. If you look at the list of users in the IC2 list you'd see that none(?) of them are for donors. All the names on that list are... in short all this does is add a bunch of IC2 capes to the ForgeCraft server, as someone else said... ePeen.

As far as security... Connecting to a server gives the server admin your IP, Java is an exploitable platform, and the coders are (seriously- no offense... not intended as an insult) amateurs that for the most part are current students of the language. If you are doubtful of a text-file's ability to deliver a payload then you need to do some research on exlpoits before you profess an opinion. Might I suggest starting with how SQL-Injection attacks start?

Finally... time. Death by a thousand paper-cuts. What was the figure mentioned...? That in theory a 10KB file could take up to 2.5s? Which might sound like a lot, but once you factor in network routing and server negotiation that number will likely go up. ...but for the sake of argument- it'll work. So, 2.5s, and if say... 2/3rds of mods start using similar features and figure that by... 60 mods? My count is higher, but it's a nice number.

Lets see... 60 mods, reduced by 1/3rds, multiplied by 2.5 seconds... that alone is over a minute and a half. On top of the initialization FML is already doing. What's the range for 'normal' loadings? 1-3 minutes? Under this scenario even the bottom end of that figure would be doubled. That's for all users. Just to see if 1, 2, 3,..7..9...14..17 people get a special cape. And what happens when different mods start conflicting? Be a pretty stupid way to cause crashes methinks... conflicting capes, and no one wants to drop theirs.

It's all theory and potential worst-case scenario's- but as I stated initially... 'benefits' just a few, 'harms' many. It was a change that could affect overall security and it was just slipped in. Forge has 'update check' hooks built-in ( I believe), if 'cape-check' hooks are needed then take it to Forge. At least that way there is reassurance by being open-source and any potential conflicts, I feel, would be handled better there.

As far as the blacklist functionality... What's the point? Sengir blowing up worlds didn't kill Tekkit, what real difference does text at login have? If you're really against unauthorized mod pack usage and you don't want to get the hate Sengir got then just have it so that IC2 disables itself. ...or forces a client crash with a 'not compatible with xxx modpack' message.

..but even then it would have been phoning home with no notification of the change to users. Bad.

Not to mention that it would qualify as a base-class edit, right? Something modders are typically warned away from 'unless absolutely necessary'?

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Edited 3 times, last by Saul_Goode: closed underline tag ().

• Also:

it annoys whiny babies who dont have a cape

Damn whiney babies :3

You're repeating yourself. I mean, as far as name-calling goes- that's a pretty weak rut to get stuck in. 'Whiney babies'... show some creativity, man... some originality. Unless you're 12... then it makes sense.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

• Official Post

You're repeating yourself. I mean, as far as name-calling goes- that's a pretty weak rut to get stuck in. 'Whiney babies'... show some creativity, man... some originality. Unless you're 12... then it makes sense.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is that old.

• SirusKing is a 12-year old Spambot with an AI?

And Saul_Goode, the question is why? We have so much unused timespace in our lives, what does 2 minutes maybe 2 or 3 times a day matter?

You can never have enough Medli IC2.

if you still want it, no problem, make it optional and disable by default, everyone who want it will enable and enjoy (basically only owners of hats)

I think this is all what we're trying to get at. IC2 could also just put the file into a class...

Also, people saying that other people with terrible internet can't play MC-you're factoring out SSP. I really have absolutely NO need to check for little fancy capes if all I'm going to play on is my little private world.

• wait, hold on a second.
    why do any of you haters think you have any right to be complaining about what the ic2 devs are doing?
    are you the ones that are putting hundreds of hours into making something to give away free? no
    do devs get paid for this? no
    do they owe you anything? no
    could they stop working on the mod at any time because they are sick of haters like you? yes

funny that you are complaining about having to wait another 3 seconds for your game to load.
    do any of you even have any idea how long it takes to make a mod of this size? HUNDREDS OF HOURS
    they spend hundreds of hours to make a mod to give away free, and they get hate for making something to make them look cooler

3 seconds is a small price to pay for getting the mod for free

• Actually, yes, I do know how much time goes into making making a mod, because I'm making one right now. And here's the thing, it's not just three seconds. As Greg already said, if the downlod servers have a bad connection, the game will just hang at the Mojang screen, waiting for the servers to repsond. So even if my connection is good (which it isn't) if the download servers that these files are hosted on ae bad, I won't be able to play at all.

• wait, hold on a second.
    why do any of you haters think you have any right to be complaining about what the ic2 devs are doing?
    funny that you are complaining about having to wait another 3 seconds for your game to load.
    do any of you even have any idea how long it takes to make a mod of this size? HUNDREDS OF HOURS
    they spend hundreds of hours to make a mod to give away free, and they get hate for making something to make them look cooler

Since you missed it the first time... here it is again...

...a divide between people with the technical knowledge to get what the problem is here and people that are more concerned with defending the modders and calling names.

I think it's funny how it is literally impossible to say absolutely anything critical about a mod\developer without someone charging in with nothing but an air of righteous indignation and that defense... It's like you're too busy being offended on behalf of the developer to be bothered with thinking about the meaning. The added load time is of trivial concern for me. The part that bothers me is that a developer that has been trusted with the work of another (keep in mind RichardG (who I'm assuming implemented this) didn't code IC2... he has maintained it and added to it...) and implemented , what I feel to be, a sloppy solution for something that, as you said 'makes the devs look cooler'. Want a better solution? A separate mod that the users that actually play on those servers can individually install. The people that will actually SEE the capes, instead of slopping up the init and load of the people that won't.

• no actually, I didn't miss it, I don't agree with it.
    unless someone has made a huge mod without asking people to pay for it, they have no right to flame devs, period.
    and no I don't agree with you, a separate mod would be useless because each user would need to install it to see the cape, which would make it pointless

• no I don't agree with you, a separate mod would be useless because each user would need to install it to see the cape, which would make it pointless

This. Who is going to download a mod that has the sole purpose of giving a cape to people 99% of Minecrafters will never see on a server?

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• You're proving my points for me here...

It's like you're too busy being offended on behalf of the developer to be bothered with thinking about the meaning.

and no I don't agree with you, a separate mod would be useless because each user would need to install it to see the cape, which would make it pointless

This. Who is going to download a mod that has the sole purpose of giving a cape to people 99% of Minecrafters will never see on a server?

That's the point. It's the OPPOSITE of 'useless'. Who would install the separate mod? Well, let's see...

1) The 17 people with their name on that list.
    2) Server Admins that have one (or more) of those players actually playing on their server.
    3) Other players on the servers that have those players playing on them.

That was the point of it. To keep it from affecting the people that will never see the effect. If server admins want players to see capes on those few players then they can include it in their mod pack.

/add: tl;dr- Who would install it? People with a use for it. Who wouldn't install it? People with no use for it.
    ...so since the people who don't have any use for it whatsoever won't install it, let's shoehorn it into something they will download and install?

As much of a joke as that was meant to be, it makes me wonder if it might be closer to the truth than I intended. I seem to recall a certain annoyance when people would ask about the cape in Direwolfs videos... makes me think it might have been added into IC2 as a way to force a troll onto some specific people.

Edited once, last by Saul_Goode: new goal... preview before post. fixing quotes. ().

• I don't think this will be going away any time soon. Why? Because the same file that has the cape list also has a list of anti-Technic checks to perform. And we all know how much mod developers hate Technic.

Edit: The link was removed. Decompile PlatformClient.java for it.

Disappointed with the bugs and nerfedness of AtomicStryker Corp's Advanced Machines, and the unupdatedness of Snyke's Enterprises?
    Need low-lag renewable power?
    Come to ImmTech Intragalactical this thread for free UUM!

Note: UUM may stand for Unnerfed Unbuggy Updated Machines and may not be actual UUM. The extra U was lost due to a bit error.
    Battery snot included.

Edited 3 times, last by immibis ().