IC2 Phoning Home...?

• obviously, you just don't get it,
    the sole reason that he added capes in in the first place is so that other people can see the capes

if their was a separate mod to add a cape to someone else, only the people with the would bother installing it,
    so it would be useless, as I said

so instead, he added it into the file that already has to be downloaded, so it would be visible for everyone

• obviously, you just don't get it,
    the sole reason that he added capes in in the first place is so that other people can see the capes

if their was a separate mod to add a cape to someone else, only the people with the would bother installing it,
    so it would be useless, as I said

so instead, he added it into the file that already has to be downloaded, so it would be visible for everyone

What he meant was that since almost nobody would want to install the mod, it would be useless. And why bother include a useless feature?

• Seeing as capes are a useless feature meant only to stroke egos and has no impact on the game itself.... I just dont understand why they added capes other than to stroke the egos of the devs and those deemed worthy (or those who sent a bribe)

• because in the vast majority of cases, it won't effect people who don't see the feature

Jesus effing Christ... you can't be serious , can you? Did God send you to test me? Is the problem that you aren't thinking or that you aren't reading? I find it greatly amusing when indignation gets in the way of intelligent thought... :(

The whole point of this thread is how this affects the people that AREN'T on that list. And it DOES affect the people that aren't on the list. It affects them because a developer has introduced remote access to an external server using a very exploitable platform. It affects all users by introducing a base-edit that could introduce the potential for conflicts. It affects all users by making ALL users wait (albeit, just a little, but when multiplied by several client restarts over the course of days, weeks and months), cumulatively across all users this adds up to HOURS off our lives just so a couple of people can get a cape. This was a poor choice of feature to implement. It has absolutely no benefit for the vast majority of users, adds a vanity feature for <1% of users and introduces weaknesses and flaws for all users.

Even though you refuse (yes, refuse. For the good of my faith in humanity I am choosing to believe it's a conscious decision on your part.) to see the validity in it, the better course of action would have been to introduce this functionality as a secondary-mod that could be installed by the few people it would have an effect for.

I don't think this will be going away any time soon. Why? Because the same file that has the cape list also has a list of anti-Technic checks to perform. And we all know how much mod developers hate Technic.

Which is what makes this so funny for me. The blacklist functionality for Tekkit. After everything that's been done, you really think a login message is going to get people to stop using Tekkit? Bukkit is dead, Tekkit is stuck on 1.2.5 and Forge-like support is finally getting to where it should have been all along. If you don't want IC2 being used, then do it in a way that might have effect. Crash the client with a message similar to the Multiplayer Mod Incompatibility check... but that's beside the point.

The fact that capes outnumber blacklists by better than 2:1 shows what the important part of that list was.

This is a bad-practice for an aspiring programmer to be getting into. The blacklist and the cape functionalities both could have been added without online checks. Blacklist, Playerlist and Cape Art all could have been hardcoded at the loss of instant updates.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

• Which is what makes this so funny for me. The blacklist functionality for Tekkit. After everything that's been done, you really think a login message is going to get people to stop using Tekkit? Bukkit is dead, Tekkit is stuck on 1.2.5 and Forge-like support is finally getting to where it should have been all along. If you don't want IC2 being used, then do it in a way that might have effect. Crash the client with a message similar to the Multiplayer Mod Incompatibility check... but that's beside the point.

The fact that capes outnumber blacklists by better than 2:1 shows what the important part of that list was.

This is a bad-practice for an aspiring programmer to be getting into. The blacklist and the cape functionalities both could have been added without online checks. Blacklist, Playerlist and Cape Art all could have been hardcoded at the loss of instant updates.

The point of the blacklist is to make it so that packs do not grab a version of IC2 that does not have them blacklisted and simply use that without permission, so if it already retrieves a text file for a blacklist, why not just stick a cape list on there too? Sure, the capes certainly do not need to update in real time, but the blacklist does, and the text file gets retrieved no matter what, so it basically costs no additional time to have it there.

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• The point of the blacklist is to make it so that packs do not grab a version of IC2 that does not have them blacklisted and simply use that without permission, so if it already retrieves a text file for a blacklist, why not just stick a cape list on there too? Sure, the capes certainly do not need to update in real time, but the blacklist does, and the text file gets retrieved no matter what, so it basically costs no additional time to have it there.

I get that, and I get that it's not just Tekkit, but considering the ModPackTerms... It would take some doing to get to 'blacklist' status, and the blacklist should be used as a last resort. I imagine that most minor infractions could be cleared up with communication if attempted first.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

• So you are worried.. about a {tiny} feature... in a video game.. that can be used to hack your computer?

I honestly don't see any reason for the IC2 devs to change their policies to ease your paranoia...

(And if you do have a valid reason to be that paranoid, then don't use the same computer for your 'recreational' usage with your 'business' usage)

Of course, I'm betting it's a 'cover argument' for someone trying to get the elimination the DRM that IC2 has in order to distribute IC2 in a much more cracked way than intended. Btw, don't insult our intelligence in getting us to believe Technic is still at 1.2.5. It has been updated to 1.4 at least

(Also funny that they are actively supporting Plus+ as well, lol)

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Saul_Goode:
    wait you're accusing me of not reading? yet you still think getting a txt file is a security issue?
    perhaps you didn't read this:

if the ic2 devs wanted to hack people's computers, there would be hundreds of ways that are much simpler and don't even require internet

he could quite easily add in a method to the code that would delete every file on someone's c drive and most computer securities wouldn't even catch it

as for time wasted, for the average internet connection (13 Mbits/sec), it would take 1/1267th of a second to download that file
    assuming you have abysmal internet (10 Kbits/sec), it would still take less than a second to download the file
    so not, it will not be wasting your time

and apparently, you can't seem to grasp the concept that a separate mod would be as bad as eliminating the feature.
    why? because the entire point is for other people to see the cape, and if it is a separate mod, 99.99% of the people wouldn't install the mod!

• @Magus Union

I like how you think this is about removing DRM from IC2. If you had checked, you would see that that DRM doesn't even affect those packs, as they force the user to install the pack to a different directory, meaning that RichardG's check for the file path is completely ineffective. This isn't about removing DRM, this is about removing a pointless feature that makes it impossible for some people to even play IC2 because they can't get the text file from the server (not because they have a bad connection, but because the server does.) I'd even be okay with RichardG adding a config option to turn it off. But forcing online version checking and cape checks on users, especially when it's done in the main thread, is a terrible idea.

• No, that's not true. Refer back to Greg's post earlier. Some users may be able to connect to the server fine, but others won't.

• No, that's not true. Refer back to Greg's post earlier. Some users may be able to connect to the server fine, but others won't.

I'm not exactly seeing a barrage of Support requests from China about how the loading screen takes forever to load.

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• yes actually, that comfirms that you have no idea what you are talking about, the kind of delay that greg was discussing is due
    to a bad connection between the server and client (aka they are far away), which is due to distance apart, not the server's bad connection

• I'm not exactly seeing a barrage of Support requests from China about how the loading screen takes forever to load.

Doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I can say for a fact that without IC2 installed, about 30 seconds are shaved off of my FML setup time.

• Doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I can say for a fact that without IC2 installed, about 30 seconds are shaved off of my FML setup time.

Unless you decompile IC2, rip out the cape code, and then test them side by side, I'm inclined to believe the 30 seconds is just normal IC2 loading time.

• Using Greg's method of turning off my internet after logging in, with IC2 still installed, it shaved about 10 seconds off my FML startup time. That means that it takes 10 seconds for it to grab a file, that is used to give people capes.

Doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I can say for a fact that without IC2 installed, about 30 seconds are shaved off of my FML setup time.

Lack of evidence is not proof of evidence. And while not having IC2 improved your load time, doesn't mean it'll always improve everyone elses...

And b34st is correct, we are arguing over SECONDS of load time. SECONDS. There is no god out their that can help you if you have so much impatience that waiting for that little amount of time annoys you. It's absurd that mod policy should change under that minor of an inconvenience...

Which leads to the possibility that there is a much more logical ploy at work that does not wish to be revealed. Again, you insult our intelligence (or rather, our critical thinking skills)...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.