Your opinion of new nuclear system

• Hi all IC2 fans!
    ==================================
    I apologize if it was already discussed in another thread.(which i didnt find)
    This topic is not to be taken as disgraceful/disregard of new nuclear rework. I am looking for other players opinions about reactor cooling process not about functionality, efficiency, cost, new more options for designs but possibilities to make cooling process cool.
    So generally less important thing to talk but meh i want to know and i care.
    Please excuse my bad English if possible.
    ==================================

Hopefully most of you will understand my point of view and give me some new thoughts instead of yelling and calling me crazy(which can be true).
    Generally there are 3 things which bother me in new "nuclear revolution"

1. [External cooling]
    2. [Internal water cooling]
    3. [Internal ice cooling]

First of all i am not any kind of "nuclear reactor nerd", i didnt invent hundreds of amazing nuclear designs and didnt even test most of them. So i am most likely just big "Nuclear stuff fan" which love to play around safety RP reactor devices/R overflow/nuclear control/R security etc. I started working on my huge project which was just ordinary nuclear powerplant(400x600) and recently end up as whole jungle island with underground evil base complex@HIVE AND nuclear powerplant. I like to organize machines/factories/control rooms/farms in less mainstream style(not like many players copy everything DW20 do)- fancy and many times even useless but more cooler... 1 of my most original (at least for me) ideas for final reactor was adding RP pumps to physically flow water around reactors from tanks, cooling and circulate in different related systems. Even when i heard about disabling this feature i had no worries to keep and use this system. But taking away water/ice cooling really harmed my plans to make lot of cool complicated systems as support for reactor. I am not talking about timer>BB>snowman device in corner of the room but huge halls full of pipes, ccsenzors, touchscreen displays and machine walls covered with RP signal lamps and microblocks like Mauricio Matosdid HERE . I know you can make the similar build "reactor components factory" but its not the same for me. Constantly feeding and controlling reactor cooling systems is for me more fancy (again i am not comparing new version possibilities or practicality) and i cant see any way to make similar system with new version.

Call me "old-fashioned" but i didn't sad those "cooling changes" are bad. I keep open mind to listen "both sides" and dont judge until i played enough with both. Maybe is every1 happy and its just me? Share your opinion if you have some experiences and understand my point of view on these changes i will be grateful.

MasterZH
    :thumbup:

• The internal cooling via ice and water system was removed due to it being extremely exploitable.
    There are 3 ways to get around it and still have the fancy water cycling and recycling thing:

• Use Condensators. They are heat sinks that need to be "refilled" once in a while. RSH-Condensators can take up to 20k heat and once they reach there, they simply stay in an "inactive" state, so they cannot be destroyed. Add redstone dust to reduce stored heat by 10k. LZH-Condensators can take up to 100k heat and have the same "inactive" state. Add redstone dust to reduce by 5k and lapis lazuli to reduce by 40k.
    • Use DDoS (Decentralized Distribution of Steam) systems. Transport damaged Coolant Cells from a energy-generating reactor to a reactor to cool down these coolant cells (also known as "Cooldown Towers").
    • Use HVC (Heat Vent Cycle) systems. A spinoff of DDoS but using Overclocked Heat Vents.

Finally, there is a "steam mode" you can turn on in the reactor configuration file. Reactors will output Railcraft steam instead of energy and those have to be fed into a Railcraft Steam Boiler to produce energy. However, to transport the steam I recommend getting Thermal Expansion for the Liquiducts to transport steam. (They are Buildcraft Golden Pipes which have improved capacity especially for liquids that IRL flow faster, such as steam. They are also much less laggy. Plus you can run liquiducts side-by-side. Join them with a Buildcraft Wrench-right-click (that includes any BC wrench, such as RC Crowbar, TE Crescent Hammer)).

The internal cooling via ice and water system was removed due to it being extremely exploitable.

Indeed. I would not count on ANY type of discussion on the matter to find a way to have that feature restored. Your best bet is to create a Nuclear spin-off add-on for IC2 that allows that. CASUC's aren't coming back (I hope)...

And I'm still laughing that people are draining the Nether, I predicted that was going to happen once I saw the introduction of lava/water cells....

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• The nuclear system is certainly a lot more interesting now. It just needs a little balancing and refinement. for example, overclocked heat vents are too powerful, and total reactor output is too low for their cost.

• I honestly like close to everything about the nuclear revolution. There are however two minor things I do miss, though. The external cooling was, well, kinda cool. I'd like to see it come back, even if its only minor.

the second thing is cooling cells - they are both ridiculously pricey and they are not remotely useful. under normal circumstances no design uses them, which is a shame.

• I honestly like close to everything about the nuclear revolution. There are however two minor things I do miss, though. The external cooling was, well, kinda cool. I'd like to see it come back, even if its only minor.

the second thing is cooling cells - they are both ridiculously pricey and they are not remotely useful. under normal circumstances no design uses them, which is a shame.

You're forgetting DDOS, which certainly are useful - 720 eu/t with efficiency 6 and low startup costs? You get far more power out of your uranium/plutonium that way.

• I would agree with that. heat exchangers need to be buffed, and the capacity of coolant cells has to be substantially increased.

• I would agree with that. heat exchangers need to be buffed, and the capacity of coolant cells has to be substantially increased.

Either that or the heat to EU ratio needs to be re-adjusted.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the capacity of coolant cells increasing would help much, all it would do really is delay the problem. Case in point: when using GregTeck's NaK/He 360k Cooling Cells, it doesn't really change any of the important numbers, it just means fewer micro-cycles per cycle.

• The external cooling was, well, kinda cool. I'd like to see it come back, even if its only minor.

Disagreed.

Agreed. Why not making steam to water (RC) cooling down coolants cells ? Something like 6Heat/tick would be nice, with a 20H/t absorption, so they'd be useful, Nuclear would be less UP and RC would worth it, even while consuming steel :D

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Official Post

Disagreed.

Agreed. Why not making steam to water (RC) cooling down coolants cells ? Something like 6Heat/tick would be nice, with a 20H/t absorption, so they'd be useful, Nuclear would be less UP and RC would worth it, even while consuming steel :D

I Liked the External cooling, although if the reactors heat actually removed the water blocks, it would give RP2 Pumps a use instead of just flooding areas to make badass Dam's.

• I Liked the External cooling, although if the reactors heat actually removed the water blocks, it would give RP2 Pumps a use instead of just flooding areas to make badass Dam's.

1) RP2 pumps are a bit laggy. Making these puming one source every 2 sec ...
    2) External cooling was quite useless to me, as it was just annoying to setup (especially with breeders reaching more than the temperature needed to make water to evaporate lol) and wasn't relaed at all with any engineering challenge (unlike the internal system). SO it'd be better directly making reactor cooled down of the max number of water sources, right ?

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• The thing I don't like is putting in Redstone or Lapis to cool a cell. It doesn't make any sense to me. It would make more sense to send them into a cell chiller, which consumes a bucket of water for every 5k heat or so.

• The thing I don't like is putting in Redstone or Lapis to cool a cell. It doesn't make any sense to me. It would make more sense to send them into a cell chiller, which consumes a bucket of water for every 5k heat or so.

If you haven't noticed, this thread is nearly 9 months old.