[Question] Now that 1.8 Pre-Release is out...

• ...are you going to work on the upgrades before the Release is coming?
    So far I heard that many modders are working on updates and even Notch said that now would be the time to find bugs and upgrade Mods for the 1.8 -Final Release.

If you don't know what I'm talking about:
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/…-pre-release/page__st__40

Regards,
    HypnotoadProductions

Click the Banner to get to my channel!

• It wouldn't be good to fix everything and then have notch change it all would it!

As stated by Notch, except for some bugfixes, no new changes are going to be added.
    He also requested Modders to take the chance now. But hey, if the IC² devs want to wait and then update with pretty much the same version that's fine with me.

• Those "bug fixes" might involve significant changes in the base code. For instance, the current leak has some huge memory leaking problems. There are several SMP bugs, including AI for Endermen. Some dev features were not cut out (like the F6/F7 to advance time). In short, until a stable release comes out, it's pointless to adapt IC2 to it.

• There was also the tweet Jeb that 1.9 is going to further change the biome code, so starting fresh again after 1.8. Since 1.8 is some sort of half-update (no NPC villagers) till 1.9 I'm not so keen on switching just yet. The new features in 1.8 are pretty killer (the lighting is fantastic) but the mods I've grown to love are better.

I'd much rather have 1.7.3 SMP IC2 before 1.8 IC2 SSP

• Official Post

MCP-based mods aren't going to be able to do any 1.8 development until MCP can deobfuscate it. I don't see Notch mentioning anything about modders updating to 1.8 anywhere. Unless he's releasing his own source, I don't know how they could. (Given, I'm fresh on the Minecraft mod scene, so I could be missing something.)

• To state this officially:

IC² will be updated to 1.8 after all of these requirements are met:
    - The MCvanilla release is stable and free of severe bugs
    - MCP, ModLoader, ModLoaderMP, MCForge are all updated and stable

Alrighty,
    yeah I talked with Spacetoad about BC and Forge already, as I'm trying to adapt the Forge as well (as well as my need for BC as a prequisite for the Let's Play / Oil)

• Why didn't they put 1.8 and 1.9 together if theres almost no delay between them? Thats just extra work for all modders.
    A little bit silly imo.

Or am i missing something?

When you get presents for Christmas, what would you prefer: A single expensive one or several cheaper?

Many patches make the kids happy ;)

• Why didn't they put 1.8 and 1.9 together if theres almost no delay between them? Thats just extra work for all modders.
    A little bit silly imo.

Or am i missing something?

Yes, you do! Mojang is producing a computer game so consumers are the main target group and modding is a side-product that will happen anyway! So you can be 98% sure that Mojang does not substancially care for the needs of modders, besides they will "support" modders (read: "a part of the consumer group with special needs") with their "API" aka unobfuscated code..