[AddOn v1.90] Charging Bench v1.90-1

• Update incoming tonight. :D

ive also been waiting

It's the idea of playing with atomic power, I am not perfect, same as any other human. Therefor, human = mistakes, mistakes = bad things, bad things + atomic fusion = very bad things. :cursing: :Nuke TNT: :cursing:

GO GREEN!

• Thanks for teh update

It's the idea of playing with atomic power, I am not perfect, same as any other human. Therefor, human = mistakes, mistakes = bad things, bad things + atomic fusion = very bad things. :cursing: :Nuke TNT: :cursing:

GO GREEN!

• Official Post

any sneak peeks at the new ideas?

Sure. The first one is earl's induction charger idea above (I'm thinking of naming it the 'Charging Pad' or some such) - I had much the same thought, unequipping and moving an entire array of tools, weapons, and armor is terribly inconvenient. It'd be nice to just have a block you can step onto for a full charge-up. And it should (optionally) emit a toaster-like 'ding' sound when it finishes, for no other reason than that I think it would be a funny way to tell the player they can step off the pad.

The second is a matter refabricating bench. Like a charging bench, but for items that are marked repairable in Forge, like standard vanilla tools and such. At its simplest, it would have a base cost per damage point that would balance repairing a diamond tool / armor piece evenly against using UUM to create a new one. I'm sure that would make repairing cheaper items completely impractical, so I'd probably also include a list of items and their relative repair costs, and a way to configure it for other mods' items. Ideally, it would either be able to be boosted with scrap like the mass fab, or simply run on already-created UUM and a relatively low EU input.

Standard disclaimer applies, of course. They're just ideas so far, and I can't I'll have time to add them. :P

Oh, and mostly unrelated, I just realized I forgot to include a change in the version history - when I updated to 1.64, I also took off the transfer limits to items on the bench. The charging benches will still blow up if you feed them more than their respective max voltages (LV, MV, HV), but now they use the same flag used by the batpack/lappack to charge items as fast as they receive power. Ever so slightly unbalanced, since they can now charge a single item faster than their respective energy storage blocks, but damn it's convenient. Plus, it cuts down on the annoying flickering the charge meter always did. :thumbup:

• induction charger
    It'd be nice to just have a block you can step onto for a full charge-up. And it should (optionally) emit a toaster-like 'ding' sound when it finishes, for no other reason than that I think it would be a funny way to tell the player they can step off the pad.

great idea, i hate un-equipping and re-equipping all my gear to charge it, a simple charger pad would be epic, but im not sure of how it would work (code wise)

as for the tool repairal, i dont much see a use for it, i mean, im always using the rechargable tools over the breakable ones... so a charger pad would be more use to me, also a way to teleport back to a teleport pad, with a linked device... that could be cool... (it would only work if the tele-pad had enough energy, and the remote was fully charged, only has 1 use in its battery [if there is already this item, it could be useful to point it out to me :)] )

• Howdy,

I love the charging bench idea and have one in my workshop. I'd like to suggest a few tweaks from having used it for a few weeks now. I haven't tried the 1.64 update yet as my world is still 1.0 so if my issues have been addressed, then I'll shut up :)

1. Shift-click sends your items to the crystal slot rather than the charging area
    2. Internal charge buffer seems tiny. The red "zap" symbol flashes erratically when I put in a depleted item which gives the impression that it is constantly seeking new EU packets from the attached MFSU
    3. I'd like to see a higher charge rate.
    4. Can items charge concurrently? At the moment they charge sequentially.

Perhaps there's room for an advanced charging bench that's built with several lapotrons that holds several million EU and will quick-charge several items concurrently?

Again, I love your work and very much appreciate the effort you put into this mod!
    Xeno

GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment or chain letter? This is left as an exercise for the reader.

Efficiency 3, 50% duty cycle. SMP friendly. Alternate two of them slowly with an rp2 sequencer for a steady 120 EU/t.
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1j10101001501521s1r11r10

• Official Post

#1 annoys the crap out of me too, didn't get fixed with the 1.64 update, but I definitely intend to. Addressing the other three actually is all sort of interlinked. Previously (in the version you're using now), items *could* charge concurrently if the bench had more energy stored than one item could accept - for example, a stack of batteries on a tier 3 bench - although the bench would always try to push in as much per tick as each item's transfer limit would allow. In the current version, the transfer limit has been removed, but my plan is to put it back but integrate with the new upgrade system. They'd work about like one would expect:
    - Overclocker upgrades will allow it to attempt multiple transfers to each item per tick. (I'll probably simplify it to one extra transfer per overclocker, instead of the approximately 50% boost that other machines receive.)
    - Energy storage upgrades will let it gather a huge buffer. In combination with enough overclockers, this'll allow burst charging of items.
    - Transformer upgrades will, as usual, increase the acceptable input voltage - but they won't increase the tier of item that can be charged. Not very practical for upgrading between tiers, but could be handy if you want to feed EV directly into your Mk3.
    Between the three, in high enough quantities, it should be possible to create an extremely powerful burst charging bench.

Like the charging pad idea, of course, these are all just hand waving until I can sit down and code. But if I do, now you know what I'll be coding. :D

• You've got some great concepts for use of upgrades in your bench - they'll increase its usefulness immensely! I look forward to seeing them in action.

• Just a question for the current version- If you have 5 MFSU's all hooked up to the bench, separately, will it charge 5 times as fast?

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• Dang. I wanted to hook up enough MFSU's to it to charge entire suits in less then a few seconds.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• Thanks for the informative reply, Drashian! Take your time :)

Raa, just make two suits of armour and keep one on charge all the time!

GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment or chain letter? This is left as an exercise for the reader.

Efficiency 3, 50% duty cycle. SMP friendly. Alternate two of them slowly with an rp2 sequencer for a steady 120 EU/t.
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1j10101001501521s1r11r10

• Any ideas what this could be caused by? Everything works as it is supposed to when I remove Charging Bench. I use IC 1.64.

• Official Post

Any ideas what this could be caused by? Everything works as it is supposed to when I remove Charging Bench. I use IC 1.64.

Looks like Charging Bench is loading before IC2. I cheated a little bit and extended a non-API IC2 class, so it's picky about that kind of thing. I think you can resolve it in most cases by renaming the Charging Bench zip file to something that comes alphabetically after the IC2 jar file. I've heard that doesn't always work in Linux-ish systems, but I haven't run into that problem myself (probably because all my Minecraft stuff is stored on an NTFS filesystem), so I don't have much experience.