Nargon's Reactors: Mark I, Mark II, Mark III, Mark IV, Breeder

• I seem to have the opposite problem.

I used the heating configuration on the breeder, to get it to 9000 degrees. Then i swapped over to the breeding configuration, where there should be no added nor removed heat. But even with an additional cooling cell in the setup, the heat keeps slowly increasing. :?:
    This is using IC2v1.15

The design is assuming a full submersion in water. It needs 25 water blocks.

• Hey there, well i just finished building my second reactor, which will be a breeder one, and then i copied the one you posted here, i managed to get it to 9500 heat but i dont know why when i put the breeding configuration it starts cooling itself i dont understand please help me!!

I also have the same problem. Do you see progress within a few minutes? Even still, the reactor won't stay hot :(

Edit: can anyone help me with breeder issues? i followed Nargon's perfect breed design "mark X" built the chamber with 20 waterblock cooling and everythomg. I heat up the reactor using the heating config, then get it to about 9100 heat. Remove all but one uranium cell and 4 depleted cells. my problem is 1. i dont see any progress of the refurbished cells and the reactor keeps cooling down below 9000. what am i doing wrong?

• I also have the same problem. Do you see progress within a few minutes? Even still, the reactor won't stay hot :(

Edit: can anyone help me with breeder issues? i followed Nargon's perfect breed design "mark X" built the chamber with 20 waterblock cooling and everythomg. I heat up the reactor using the heating config, then get it to about 9100 heat. Remove all but one uranium cell and 4 depleted cells. my problem is 1. i dont see any progress of the refurbished cells and the reactor keeps cooling down below 9000. what am i doing wrong?

Are you sure there is no lit redstone to the reactor? :!: Lit redstone sets the reactor to off (sorry for the trivial question, but It's often something silly ^^)

• Are you sure there is no lit redstone to the reactor? :!: Lit redstone sets the reactor to off (sorry for the trivial question, but It's often something silly ^^)

Yep the reactor has redstone but it was off meaning the reactor was on, i setup redstone torches for on/off indicators :). Anything else that might be an issue?

• Heya. I love the improved perfect breeder design, and also rather enjoy the Mark II-1 B. Anyway, this seems to be the place to post good reactors, so I'll submit mine here and try to follow your format.

Mark III/IV EB (1000s/1250s), Efficiency 3.60, 10 uranium cells, 180 EU/t

Very good efficiency, higher effective EU/t (energy generated divided by run time + cooldown) than Nargon's Mark IV B (625s), and can run for a little over a tenth of a cycle without losing components.
    Great reactor for those looking for high efficiency, without making a Mark V (they're scary).

Materials:
    18x Integrated heat dispensers
    26x Cooling cells

Colour coded! :D

U = Uranium cell
    C = Cooling cell
    D = Integrated heat dispenser

D C C C C C C C D
    C C D D D D D C C
    C D U U U U U D C
    C D U U U U U D C
    C C D D D D D C C
    D C C C C C C C D

Heating:
    6x uranium cells, 4 pulses, 1 cooler slot (10 heat each)
    4x uranium cells, 3 pulses, 2 cooler slot (4 heat each)
    6x4x1x10 + 4x3x2x4 = 336 h/s

Cooling:
    1 Reactor, 6 chambers, 20 water blocks, 26 cooling cells
    1 + 2x6 + 20 + 26 = 59 h/s

Heat balance:
    336 - 59 = +277 h/s

Heat distribution:
    1 reactor, 18 heat dispensers, 26 cooling cells
    1 + 18 + 26 = 45, each can accumulate 10k heat
    450000/277 = max 1624s of non-stop running, if you don't mind losing components. Max 1101s of non-stop running without losing components.
    1624s, greater than 1/10 of a cycle, with loss of components => Mark IV.
    1101s, greater than 1/10 of a cycle, without loss of components => Mark III.

A good time for this is 1000s of non-stop running, because that'll let you get ten cycles of the same length before the uranium is depleted.
    WARNING! Make sure you use special water construction (see Nargon's Perfect Breeder for details).

Cooldown:
    After 1000s accumulated heat is 1000x277 = 277000h
    277000/59 = 4695s = 1h 18.25m

Energy:
    6x Uranium cells, 4 pulses
    4x Uranium cells, 3 pulses
    6x4x5 + 4x3x5 = 180 EU/t
    Total EU after 1000s:
    180x20x1000 = 3.6M EU.

If anyone can improve upon this design, please post below. And once again, great work Nargon.

EDIT:

I posted a tutorial on making a self-regulating nuclear reactor.

http://forum.industrial-craft.…ad&postID=25247#post25247

• I dont get it, so when my breeder hits 9000 heat i have to do what ? Turn it off get out the uranium ? Im kinda new to breeders, never used them before :)

• if you are using the perfect breeder, that is when you reconfigure it from heating to standard config to maintain it's heat level. The point of breeders is the isotopes gain energy faster if the reactor hull is hotter. You heat it up to get more efficiency, then run it hot in a way that neither gains nor loses heat. After the depleted isotopes bar fills it turns into re-enriched uranium. It has the same properties as depleted istopes, so it doesn't change the way the reactor works except one thing, there is no bar to fill, it is finished. Because you gain nothing by leaving it there, where you would gain something with a depleted isotope in its place, you want to switch out the re-enriched uranium with a depleted isotope to continue to breed (charge up more uranium). You also want to be there when the uranium fuel runs out, as that is when all the work that went into heating it starts to get undone. Your options then are replace the fuel to continue breeding hot, if you have a lot of spare parts, pull the hot parts and store them hot to save work heating them up next time, or just let it all cool. Re-enriched uranium turns to normal fuel when you add a coal dust to it.

Thanks for Giving drill access to miners!

• I'll be upgrading to the Mark II-1 B at some point (probably soon). I just don't feel the NEED to play a risky game with anything higher.

I've got a small solar farm (5x 13 solar flowers), and a pretty nice Geothermal generator room that is really only optional.

Until there are more machines to use energy on, I just don't need any more than I've already got stored in my MFSUs.

i used your tutorial with that config to help set up my reactor, thanks firewolf, and of course nargon for the help :thumbup:

• I'm a little confused here and maybe someone can help straighten me out. I built the Mk X Breeder in the heating config so as to get temp up to 9k or so, as I'm led to believe is necessary for a breeder. I put in the coolant, IHD and reactor plating first, then the 8 depleted cells. Temp goes up to 3 or so. Then I put in the 4 uranium cells and within a few seconds the depleted cells turn into re-enriched cells. I can take them out and put in more depleted cells and those too change to re-enriched cells within a few seconds. Is this the way it's supposed to work? If so, why go through the risk of meltdown at 9k heat?

• I'm a little confused here and maybe someone can help straighten me out. I built the Mk X Breeder in the heating config so as to get temp up to 9k or so, as I'm led to believe is necessary for a breeder. I put in the coolant, IHD and reactor plating first, then the 8 depleted cells. Temp goes up to 3 or so. Then I put in the 4 uranium cells and within a few seconds the depleted cells turn into re-enriched cells. I can take them out and put in more depleted cells and those too change to re-enriched cells within a few seconds. Is this the way it's supposed to work? If so, why go through the risk of meltdown at 9k heat?

You propably NEI'd/TMI'd the depleted cells. If so, they are already charged, even if it doesn't show that they are. You need to craft the depleted cells from uranium and cells in order to test it properly.
    The cost/efficiency of the breeder can also be improved by using a "modern" design, using way less heat dispersers and thus lowering the cost a lot.
    For example:http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/reactorplanner.html?hixndzru87iiiqyp1sbehwdvl8iw5udu6oxgm90q919ywfzuo

• Yep, that would explain it. I was just doing some testing on a Creative world in SSP. Thanks for the info, I'll give it another shot.

• here's my reactor design
    It's a Mark 1 - I, and can run infinitely (or near infinitely)

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…3p6hkbtlocelyiuve0gbquhq8

It can run forever, but it's got terrible efficiency. Only 1.
    Also, it's got more cooling than it needs: 26.3 excess AND it's not taking advantage of the environmental cooling (another potential 20 cooling).
    Hell, replace one of those reactor platings with another uranium cell and surround the whole thing with water. http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…kq0i8ww07vxqwt5k6y033ccw0
    2.33 efficiency and still mark 1.

Here's the design I've been using on SMP http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…ylrqyfxpo59vz002n22cxz0u8
    Mark I-O-CASUC with 3 efficiency.

• Thanks for the designs, I'm using your Breeder. But here is a reactor design I found, fiddling around, for a Mark I-O EC reactor. It requires 2 reactor chambers, like yours, but must be completely immersed in water (which shouldn't be hard to do). Efficiency 2.33, Output 70 EU/t.

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1p10101001501521s1r11r10]

I dunno, I just prefer my reactors to have as much cooling as possible. Frees up room for more efficiency and output!