IC2 Expermental Feature Discussion

• It's called "semifluid" because the fuels in question are viscous and/or not even in the liquid phase in the first place. Ever seen crude oil? Not anywhere near as liquid as water. IRL you can also have things that are technically solids but can be pumped around as if they were liquids, for example because they are a very fine powder, or for reasons even weirder.

Granted, it doesn't make sense for gasoline (BC fuel) and ethanol, which are not the least bit viscous. But I suppose they wanted to avoid making a block that only burns one single thing (crude oil) that has better uses elsewhere (refining). Game design trumps realism in some cases.

• The battery recipe seems to be broken I think, been trying

[][insulated copperwire][]
    [tin item casing] redstone[tin item casing]
    [tin item casing] redstone[tin item casing]

but it doesn't work. Is it broken or has the recipe been changed?

• Looking at latest change, "add SemifluidGenerator can use: BC Oil,BC Fuel, forestry Biomass, forestry ethanol"
    Why not rename it into just a "fluid generator" or something like that? "Semi" hints that there are some other generator out there that burns "actual" fluids for power :)

Thanks for the CF info!!!

Semifluid means something that is not entirely fluid, but isn't solid either. Half-fluid... Like - oil, or tar...
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/semifluid

For the battery recipe, put tin wire.

• Official Post

It's insulated tin wire instead of copper now. Or at least it was.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Just got done building them and set them up. So far my scanner is reading items and storing the pattern in the storage device. Beside that I have my replicator which sees the pattern, now on to the fun part for now I set the mass fab on top of the replicator to see if it will transfer the liquid UU matter or if I will have to set up a bump and pipes to draw it out and send it into the replicator. Any one have a set up that is running or could compare notes? will update as I can may not be till tomorrow night though wish me luck!!!

quick update placing mass fab on top of the replicator was a no go.

placed a buildcraft pump on top of mass fab (same type i was using on ore washer made from mining well) powered it with a redstone engine and ran the pipe to the top of the replicator no go.

I do have the replicator working by using universal cells to drain the mass fab and then I carry it over to the replicator dump it in, pain in the ass but it's working for me till i figure out how to pump the uu matter over!!

• ? on the canner? click the bar on the bottom of the gui after you open the machine. Or did you mean on the wrenches or something else?

• Version 193 (from today) appears to have added this. Your comments matter!

Awesome. Time to CF ALL THE THINGS! :D

As for the new semifluid generator, has anyone tried it out yet? What's the output rate and how much EU does a bucket of <insert fuel type here> make? Won't be able to test it myself until late tomorrow, probably...

• placed a buildcraft pump on top of mass fab (same type i was using on ore washer made from mining well) powered it with a redstone engine and ran the pipe to the top of the replicator no go.

I do have the replicator working by using universal cells to drain the mass fab and then I carry it over to the replicator dump it in, pain in the ass but it's working for me till i figure out how to pump the uu matter over!!

Have you tried the normal liquid transfer method? i.e. wooden fluid pipe with redstone engine on the mass fab?

The pump is made to suck up liquids from the world. In order to transfer liquid between inventories, you don't need a pump, just a wooden fluid pipe. Buildcraft has worked this way since ancient times... ;)

• Have you tried the normal liquid transfer method? i.e. wooden fluid pipe with redstone engine on the mass fab?

The pump is made to suck up liquids from the world. In order to transfer liquid between inventories, you don't need a pump, just a wooden fluid pipe. Buildcraft has worked this way since ancient times... ;)

I tried golden liquid transfer pipe with a redstone engine forgot to try the wooden ones will give it a try!!

Yep I forgot about the wooden transport pipe. But what's odd is I have the wooden transport pipe on top of the mass fab that then hooks into golden transport pipe (all water proofed) going to the replicator't top, with a redstone engine on the wooden transport pipe it transferred it WITHOUT the redstone engine as if the mass has an internal pump to push the uu matter ( or a glitch? or is it that i am using golden transport instead of say water proofed cobblestone?)

• That is quite odd. If it output by itself, it should output into all kinds of fluid pipes (like the pump does, or steam boilers), not only wooden ones.

Does the auto-output into the wooden pipe work only on the top side of the mass fab, or on all sides?

• after about three cycles it stopped working. So I switched on the redstone engine and it started working again so I turned it off as soon as it had pumped out the uu matter. With the redstone engine off it pumped two more loads of the uu matter then stopped again until I turned on the redstone engine again. If I leave the engine running it seems to always work just odd I never heard anything about a redstone engine holding power like a batbox or something.

• You're right, the redstone engines don't buffer power (anymore). They used to in order to heat themselves up, but in Buildcraft 4 the mechanics changed to make the engine output at it's fully heated up rate right from the start (1 MJ/s, 0.05 MJ/t). And, even back when it was buffering energy to heat itself up, that energy served no other purpose and was never accessible or possible to output.

However, wooden pipes do buffer energy. Item pipes don't really need to - they simply pull the next item. Fluid pipes can't immediately pull the next bucket, they need to wait for the current one to flow through first, so they buffer a very small amount. Kinesis pipes (formerly conductive ones) buffer major amounts, up to 1500 MJ per wooden pipe, in order to smooth out the bursty behavior of Buildcraft engines and transmit power through narrow pipes over multiple ticks.

But well, at least we know now that the mass fab works like a perfectly normal fluid inventory that Buildcraft can interact with using the standard methods.

• If I remember right this new mass fab has a input limit of 512. I know the old mass fab would blow up like a nuke if you over powered it (beyond 2048?) So to get uu matter faster I will have to build additional mass fabs? (besides the chest pumping junk into the recycler for scrap which I will have to play with to see if I can pump into the mass to automate the whole thing later tonight) will be neat to get the mass running with scrap piping in and uu matter pumping out.

• not to nitpick, but oil's viscosity depends on its contents, crude oil ranges from light to heavy
    light crude will flow like water, heavy crude will not readily flow

• Official Post

What do the two slots on the left of the water bar on the ore washing plant do?

The top one is for water containers like buckets. No idea what the bottom one is for.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.