IC2 Expermental Feature Discussion

• Could anybody describe how exactly new UUM system works?
    How do we get iridium? How do we craft stuff with UUM?

I personally have not played with it, but you have to get iridium ore as chest loot, then run it through a scanner, the purpose of the scanner is to scan items and get their pattern, you have to have an adjacent pattern storage, then hit a button in one of them to transfer the pattern to the pattern storage, then you somehow get a pattern into a replicator, and pump in liquid uu-matter and energy to replicate the item.

• I will file a bug report but, don't put a CF Sprayer in a canning machine when its on "Fill cell from tank" mode, it crashes the client and makes the world unplayable.

• The top one is for water containers like buckets. No idea what the bottom one is for.

>
    Alright, thanks. Another off the wall question, When i have a miner and a pump together with a chest touching them, lava/water cells dont get put into the chest. Also, any redstone mined goes into the power slot of the pump instead of in the chest. The machines are powered from a cable. Is any of this behavior intentional?

• >
    Alright, thanks. Another off the wall question, When i have a miner and a pump together with a chest touching them, lava/water cells dont get put into the chest. Also, any redstone mined goes into the power slot of the pump instead of in the chest. The machines are powered from a cable. Is any of this behavior intentional?

I'm not sure about the cells not going into the chest, but the redstone going into the pump is intentional, because redstone can be used as an energy source when put into the battery slot of machines, my recommendation would be to put an empty battery in the battery slot and keep it connected to the cable, or you can just power it with a battery, and that should be enough for at least one run with the miner.

• I'm not sure about the cells not going into the chest, but the redstone going into the pump is intentional, because redstone can be used as an energy source when put into the battery slot of machines, my recommendation would be to put an empty battery in the battery slot and keep it connected to the cable, or you can just power it with a battery, and that should be enough for at least one run with the miner.

Ok, yeah i thought the redstone thing made sense but ill try tossing a battery in there to test.

• Can anyone here tell me what the difference between an empty cell (as extruded from the metal forming machine) versus a "universal fluid cell" (as assembled with tin plating and a glass pane)? Besides the obvious difference in tin efficiency, of course.

• I will file a bug report but, don't put a CF Sprayer in a canning machine when its on "Fill cell from tank" mode, it crashes the client and makes the world unplayable.

You can always MCEdit the block out.

• I basically figured out you put items you want to replicate into the scanner, I am just wondering why some items come up error? I mean vanilla blocks like oak wood etc. Is there any way to add other blocks so that they can be replicated?

• Official Post

I basically figured out you put items you want to replicate into the scanner, I am just wondering why some items come up error? I mean vanilla blocks like oak wood etc. Is there any way to add other blocks so that they can be replicated?

Currently only dirt, cobble, iridium and the things you mine in the ground (diamonds, redstone ect) can be made. Eventually more things will be craftable but when that is done, a Config option that lets you set Item Name ID, Amount of Liquid UU and power to make it would be good.

• Putting an empty RE battery in the slot makes the redstone go to the chest. I havent hit any lava on the last few though so idk about lava cells.

EDIT: What's the maximum input voltage of the ore washing plant?

• Official Post

Currently only dirt, cobble, iridium and the things you mine in the ground (diamonds, redstone ect) can be made. Eventually more things will be craftable but when that is done, a Config option that lets you set Item Name ID, Amount of Liquid UU and power to make it would be good.

Who wants to make cobble out of UU? 1600000EU for 1 UU (or what ever it is now) turned into cobble is a waste. Dirt I'm fine about though.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• EDIT: What's the maximum input voltage of the ore washing plant?

Medium Voltage (128 EU/t). Almost all machines, including the basic electric furnace/macerator/etc, now accept MV per default. The thermal centrifuge and the four UU-matter related machines are fine on a HV line (512 EU/t). I have yet to find anything aside from a batbox that blows up on a MV line, but maybe things like luminators are LV only.

In completely unrelated news, I've been playing with the semifluid generator and I'm... honestly torn. On one hand, it's fairly affordable (just upgrade a geothermal generator with effectively 2 iron, 2 tin and 4 glass panes), and running on Buildcraft fuel it's the single most powerful pre-nuclear generator that IC2 experimental offers. And with the significantly increased power consumption in the experimental branch compared to classic IC2, that's a very welcome thing.

On the other hand, it just feels incredibly wasteful. 16,000 EU for one bucket of oil, where a combustion engine would yield 60,000 MJ; or 128,000 EU for a bucket of fuel, with the combustion engine offering 600,000 MJ. A size 1 Railcraft boiler feeding into a steam turbine will yield over 1.5 million EU for the same fuel bucket, and a size 36 boiler over 2.7 million. My inborn German OCD is screaming out in agony over such inefficiency! :P

Of course, the boiler/turbine combo is far, far more expensive and involved to set up. As such, I can't really fault the cheap and tiny semifluid generator for not matching them - if it was even half as efficient as a steam turbine's worst-case scenario, it would be overpowered. But I'm not sure either that the values need to be this low. Maybe consider a straight doubling of the runtime per bucket, for 32k/256k EU at identical EU/t?

I did not test biomass or ethanol performance, as I haven't gone into Forestry yet in my 1.6.2 world. Ethanol tends to be around 1/3rd as good as refined fuel in most cases, though: 32k HU vs. 96k HU in Railcraft, or 240k MJ vs 600k MJ in Buildcraft. This results in another good reason to raise the total energy output of the semifluid generator: Forestry's own bio generator already offers 128k EU per bucket of ethanol, which is identical to the current semifluid generator's performance with refined fuel. That in return means that 1.) the performance of the semifluid generator with ethanol likely is significantly less than what Forestry offers natively; and 2.) IC2 currently undervalues oil and fuel compared to other mods that use it.

• On the other hand, it just feels incredibly wasteful.

BC engines are simply WAY too OP ;)
    Steam is sort of balanced by requiring water. Though I don't really like how little water generators take compared to BC combustion engine. IIRC it spends nearly 500 buckets of water per bucket of fuel while you'll need just 20 buckets of water per 1-block boiler in boiler.

• Medium Voltage (128 EU/t). Almost all machines, including the basic electric furnace/macerator/etc, now accept MV per default. The thermal centrifuge and the four UU-matter related machines are fine on a HV line (512 EU/t). I have yet to find anything aside from a batbox that blows up on a MV line, but maybe things like luminators are LV only.

A miner and LV transformer also blow up. I also blew up my ore washing plants once, somehow. Not really sure how that worked.

It seems if i accidentally make strange loops of machines i get a random explosion. Not the mods fault, moreso mine for my shoddily ran wiring.

• A miner and LV transformer also blow up.

I've had miner run off from 128 EU line just fine. Debug scanner said it can accept up to 512 EU/t.

It seems if i accidentally make strange loops of machines i get a random explosion. Not the mods fault, moreso mine for my shoddily ran wiring.

Are you using Gregtech? If so then its machines are able to output EU to e-net and can therefore make it have higheher EU than you'd have if they didn't output.