IC2 Expermental Feature Discussion

• I want to build a breeder... how do i get the depleted fuel rods working now?

Uranium breeding was taken out. In its place you now have a 100% chance to get a depleted fuel rod, which you run through a thermal centrifuge to get 4 U238 per fuel rod, as well as 1 small plutonium per fuel rod. You can use 3 large piles of plutonium and 6 U238 for MOX fuel rods, which have half the life time of Uranium rods, but produce more energy (and not more heat) the hotter the reactor is, up to 5x at 100% heat. When you thermal centrifuge the depleted MOX you will get 3 plutonium per rod, and 1 small pile of plutonium per rod. Since you get 3 plutonium back MOX does not actually use any plutonium while running, instead it is more of a catalyst to cause the U238 to react. The plutonium that you get from centrifuging the MOX can be used for more MOX, or used in an RTG for small amounts of energy continuously, forever.

Edit: Partially ninja'd by Omicron.

• I just read all 7 pages of this post, and glad I did, it's been extremely helpful, I too had cf sprayer troubles, and could not make uranium cells, hard to imagine I've gone all this time without a canning machine, I just thought it was for food and never bother to build one, well, guess I know what I'll be getting to next. As more recipes are updated in NEI it will become more clear to those who don't know I think, the way the metal former now has NEI and you can figure out how to make what you need.

I also wanted to add, that I have a tier upgrade put onto my thermal centrifuge so it is running directly off 512 from a mfe now. Why? well, when I have power to spare I just add a few overclockers and I can get what I want in a hurry. If not, I run normally with two geo-thermal gens hooked up to the mfe.

• Okay, I have an electric boat, I made a tier 1 bat pack, and a tier 2 adv. bat pack, wore both of them and neither powered the boat. Am I missing something? Is there a key I need to be pressing? :S

• I just read all 7 pages of this post, and glad I did, it's been extremely helpful, I too had cf sprayer troubles, and could not make uranium cells, hard to imagine I've gone all this time without a canning machine, I just thought it was for food and never bother to build one, well, guess I know what I'll be getting to next. As more recipes are updated in NEI it will become more clear to those who don't know I think, the way the metal former now has NEI and you can figure out how to make what you need.

I also wanted to add, that I have a tier upgrade put onto my thermal centrifuge so it is running directly off 512 from a mfe now. Why? well, when I have power to spare I just add a few overclockers and I can get what I want in a hurry. If not, I run normally with two geo-thermal gens hooked up to the mfe.

I have a bank of 32 geogens running 12 mass fabricators and the replicator. :D

• So I've macerated, washed and centrifuged my uranium ore and have these interesting wads of 235U and 238U. I've built myself a canning machine, fabricated the fuel rods in the metal former and done everything else that looks like it needs to be done.

The canning machine accepts the empty fuel rods in the first, upper left slot but will not accept the 235U in any location. Yes, I'm using the large 235U wads made from 9 small ones. I've tried the small ones on the off chance that they were the correct component but they didn't work any better. MOX fuel in the second slot of the canning machine quite happily gets turned into MOX fuel cells but the 235U just won't go there.

Needless to say, my inability to craft fuel rods is hampering my nuclear program. What am I doing wrong?

Problem occurred under .216-experimental but upgrading to .253-experimental hasn't helped.

-S

• You don't put U-235 into fuel rods, in either form. You need to use some U-235 and some U-238 to craft "enriched uranium fuel" (or something similar, can't check right now). The recipe is the same as MOX fuel, just replace the plutonium with small U-235 parts.

• basically only U-235 is reactor fuel, everything else is catalyst and extracted back from rods in centrifuge.

canner recipes will be added to NEI one day, currently you shoud run game in creative and experement with stuff.

• I have a question:
    I am in 1.4.7 (still waiting on a few mods to update to 1.6.4) and I have a set of recyclers being powered by an MFSU. Each recycler has 2 transformer upgrades so I can power them directly with the MFSU. Since the MFSU is getting bumped up in power output, will I have to do something to this rig when I update or will it be fine?

• I have a question:
    I am in 1.4.7 (still waiting on a few mods to update to 1.6.4) and I have a set of recyclers being powered by an MFSU. Each recycler has 2 transformer upgrades so I can power them directly with the MFSU. Since the MFSU is getting bumped up in power output, will I have to do something to this rig when I update or will it be fine?

I think there was something about the basic machines accepting 128 by default, if that's true you should be good, but to be safe I would add another transformer upgrade.

• All my machines are running on a 512 EU/t line with just one transformer upgrade, including the recyclers. The new thermal centrifuge doesn't even need one, it can do HV by default. :)

However, I would still disconnect all cables, because you are probably going to blow up the cables and/or machines simply by virtue of the e-net behavior changing. Right now, you can have 20 goethermal generators all feeding into one batbox, since the batbox can take packets sized 32 EU and the geothermals output packets sized 20 EU. But the new e-net doesn't allow for an infinite number of packets anymore. It simply adds up all packets that would be transmitted in each tick into one. So those 20 geothermals are now trying to insert one 400 EU packet into your batbox each tick. Kaboom! Heck, even two geothermals at once will overload it. Six geothermals will be okay on a basic machine (120 out of 128 EU/t), but seven won't.

Pretty much every setup in classic IC2 includes situations where you have parallel inputs into single cables - heck, I think every single player ever will eventually build a bank of MFSUs that all output into the same line. This will absolutely kill anything you hook up under the new e-net rules, even if the cable can manage it (and even mighty glass fiber of 8192 EU/t will melt if you have more than four MFSUs).

• You don't put U-235 into fuel rods, in either form. You need to use some U-235 and some U-238 to craft "enriched uranium fuel" (or something similar, can't check right now). The recipe is the same as MOX fuel, just replace the plutonium with small U-235 parts.

Thanx. That did it.

• So... yeah. Can I complain about this awful endgame?

99% of MC players don't have the patience required to fully enjoy an endgame that requires 40 diamonds for an MFSU and 3.520 billion EU for the simplest piece of iridium equipment. I have 2 full reactors and a 64-panel solar going and I've produced 2 pieces of iridium ore in the last 2 days, and I'm just about bored with minecraft. I will never even see an Iridium drill.
    You can say "well make a scrapgen" but first, that's kind of exploitative, so that shouldn't be a demand. But I don't really care, so I would if I could, but I couldn't figure out a good way to make an infinite scrapgen using the mix of mods we're running. No redpower breakers, so I'm using chicken eggs. Not ideal to say the least.
    Second, scrap boost didn't scale with the 10 million Eu matter nerf, so you need about 30 stacks of scrap for one matter, or 1320 stacks for an iridium.
    That's completely useless. Not even a large quarry could be expected to produce the scrap required for one of the minimum 8 pieces of ore you'd need for a piece of iridium equipment.

So now the guy who went around and killed all the dungeons in the area has full quantum gear and everyone else has nothing. It's true we could go spelunking too, but I'd rather do it with science - even if it's harder. As it is now, it's not harder. It's impossible.

The 4 diamond = crystal thing is being dealt with with a dispenser that gives energium dust for a single diamond. Hardly ideal either. Murdering that recipe after it's been unchanged since early versions of IC1 is... not brilliant.

I don't fault ya'all for spending enough time with minecraft and IC that EU requirements in the billions makes sense. It's a fun game. But not all of us can play that long.

Can we roll that back before the "experimental" prefix goes away, please?

• I've been thinking for a few days on with how best to make a post about the UU-matter situation. Done some math - you need to recycle about 4.5 million blocks to make a full quantum suit, which is roughly equal to 20 max sized quarries... provided you even have Buildcraft installed. Classic IC2 required 75,000 blocks recycled. And hey, be happy that you have made 2 iridium in 2 days, and that someone was able to find iridium in dungeons... I've been playing with IC2 experimental in singleplayer/LAN mode, not on a 24/7 server, so it took me 1.5 months RL time for 3 pieces of iridium ore (out of 4 to make a plate, or out of 40 to make a quantum suit). And during all that time, I've been unable to find even one piece in dungeon loot (I gave up trying after looting ca. 60 chests). I can only produce it because I cheated some in to scan.

Balancing the mod for 24/7 servers = bad idea
    Balancing the mod so it requires specific other mods = bad idea
    Content gating by random number generator = bad idea

Now I just need a constructive suggestion of how to do it better...

• with new iridium game turn into korean MMORPG, player MUST grind for ages in order to get what he want...

also new diamond dust make all items that used diamonds cost 4x more for no good reason, single diamond shoud give at least 4 dusts, not only one.

• Official Post

Now I just need a constructive suggestion of how to do it better...

Make scrap better

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Official Post

What part of "scrap is useless now" do you seem to require more time to understand?

The bit that means I need 4 and a half billion scrap for a q-suit.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• Official Post

scrap and energy are still very easy to generate in massive amounts, even for those who doesnt play 24 h per day.
    Use your mind and reactors for quick power, then overclocked recyclers for quick scrap.

With Gregtech though, how do you get 4.5 million blocks that aren't cobble?

I see this too much.

• Official Post

With Gregtech though, how do you get 4.5 million blocks that aren't cobble?

You can even get that from cobble :
    Cobble + Universal macerator = Gravel + Flint (10%)
    Gravel and flint are both recycleable.

[PS: Universal macerator is not that cheap, i know, but thats your problem, i use several of them for my scrap factory.]

People just have to think more and play around with all the mods they have (stupid farms generating junk are another option)