[Addon][1.6.2+] Unidye - Get more awesome for your IC²!

• Unidye

Welcome to Unidye! An addon for IndustrialCraft² which basically adds a lot of conveniences, funny stuff and a lot of new ways to interact with dyes and dyed wool specifically. You can get the dye out of dyed wool, you can dye wool and clay at a better ratio than vanilla in a machine and thus automate your dyeing needs. Also, you can change larger quantities of dyes with Unidye, a wildcard dye which can be crafted into any other dye. The only thing you need is an already existing unit of dye so you cannot craft anything you don't have yet. If you use GT there are also some interactions such as changed recipes, new recipes (especially for the centrifuge) and other things. Try it today!

So, how does it work?

To look up every recipe ingame, use NEI by ChickenBones. It's a really nice mod which displays every vanilla and crafting recipe from mods and, if the mod uses NEI too, from other machines as well. Isn't it convenient to just look at the recipes ingame instead of visiting a wiki for every recipe you are trying to use? I definitely think so.
    I will list vanilla IC² recipes in here, when playing with GT you need NEI. But seriously, how were you going to play GT without that anyways?

Documentation can be found in the second post of this thread, if needed.

What is planned?

In no specific order:
    - add Recipes for GT (Centrifuge and Chemical Reactor)
    - upgraded version of GT Printer
    - doing other stuff with other mods I have to think about.
    - multiblock animal farms
    - electrical fishing station (might release these last two as a separate mod if I ever decide to code them)

Serious suggestions are ALWAYS welcome!

Where can I tell you that this is literally the worst addon ever?

I am always open to constructive feedback and opinions per private message or on this thread. For any beginner trying to get a look into source code, just let me know (even though I am a beginner myself.) I used a lot of forge's tutorial code for the basics of my classes, so huge props to them! I would also gladly appreciate remade textures who might look a bit better than my not-so-well-done 5-minute GIMP accidents. Please report bugs here too, also providing the error message as well as information on your IC2-Version and Forge version.

• Documentation

• Official Post

I think I will add a config file to switch between use of Lapis and Blue Dye (since some other Addons use Lapis in their recipes to dye other stuff, e.g. Iron Tank Walls / Blue Stained Glass). Coming up in the next version then!

A note that almost everything that uses dyes uses dictionary entries, so if you register your blue dye in the dictionary, most recipes will use it without any problem.

• As I mentioned, I am only a beginner myself, so I have only discovered the basics yet, so thanks for the hint. I will look into the dictionary and try to use it. :)

EDIT: Version 1.1.1 is now available for download, with the new "Blue Dye", preventing the gain of Lapis Lazuli. Blue Dye can be used in any Dye Recipe like Lapis Lazuli is (Vanilla and other mods). If the Blue Dye does not work with recipes of a specific mod, the mod is most likely
    not using the OreDictionary, but still let me know about any bugs you encounter.

• If you felt extra-ordinaryly classy, you could try make a little blending action in there. Example four red wool and four yellow would create orange mesh. If they do something like 3 red, 3 blue, 3 green they could get black mesh, etc. It would be a lot of fun to code, all the possibilities and dynamics!

• I am currently planning and learning to do more stuff and include new features, but I might look into providing a 1.6.2 build for the next version as long as the changes aren't too major. No promises though. ;)

• Thank you :)
    Currently planned for the next version are adding Unidye and Wool Meshes as fuel (the use as fuel as well as its value can be configured so I don't have to balance for standard IC2 and the lot of GregTech users, since I am kind of a noob at GregTech stuff) as well as a Centrifuge-like block who processes Wool Meshes to increase the yield of unidye as well as side products..But that will probably take some time. Also planning to provide a 1.6.2 version then.

Noticed just now, but i may be wrong, Battle Bunny Riven from League of Legends as profile avatar? ~ SpwnX
    Oh yes, I am an avid league of legends player and she is one of my favorite characters :P although that's just random fanart not the skin.

EDIT: Version 1.1.2 out now! Use Wool and Unidye's new Items in a Generator or Furnace! 1.6.2 compatible version available now! Would love some feedback if it is working properly.

• Huh, this is probably one of the "better" IC2 add-ons that I've seen. I've been trying to figure out a way to comfortably farm wool and being able to convert the wool to wool meshes and then turn that directly into dye or take an extra step to get slightly more dyes, is brilliant!

A couple of questions though:
    1) Does extracting the Wool Mesh return one or eight dyes of that colour? (I ask as I'm looking at the screenshots that you've provided and the one of the Extractor with 7 meshes in the input and eight orange dyes in the output and its confusing me a bit)
    2) Wouldn't this be considered an exploit to obtain bone meal?

• Huh, this is probably one of the "better" IC2 add-ons that I've seen. I've been trying to figure out a way to comfortably farm wool and being able to convert the wool to wool meshes and then turn that directly into dye or take an extra step to get slightly more dyes, is brilliant!

A couple of questions though:
    1) Does extracting the Wool Mesh return one or eight dyes of that colour? (I ask as I'm looking at the screenshots that you've provided and the one of the Extractor with 7 meshes in the input and eight orange dyes in the output and its confusing me a bit)
    2) Wouldn't this be considered an exploit to obtain bone meal?

1.If you fully read the OP it gives an example that 8 green wool gives 1 green mesh, which gives 1 cactus green when extracted.
    2.Yes, that would be an almost identical exploit to the blue wool-lapis one, so that brings me to this suggestion.

Suggestion: Add a white dye, like the blue dye, as to prevent bone meal exploiting.

• 1.If you fully read the OP it gives an example that 8 green wool gives 1 green mesh, which gives 1 cactus green when extracted.
    2.Yes, that would be an almost identical exploit to the blue wool-lapis one, so that brings me to this suggestion.

Suggestion: Add a white dye, like the blue dye, as to prevent bone meal exploiting.

Not to argue, but I did read it, but my interpretation of the pictures threw me off. It's all good now though.

• Got your first crash report:

Sorry it's in quotations, my browser is being weird. Also, why are you looked for a method in under ItemHoe? (I ask as I know a little about crash reports)

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to mention, I'm in 1.6.4 where the latest experimental IC2 does work, so I assumed this would as well.

• I can add white dye soon, I didn't really think about a Bone Meal exploit (mostly because I use mfr or forestry's fertilisiers or farms) or monster farms to get drops.

The new experimentals of ic2 for 1.6.4 change a lot, so it's most likely an error to do with compatibility. I'll see what I'll have to fix and maybe provide a 1.6.4 version. Also, when exactly did that error occur?

• The previous night (Oct 9) as I was setting up to do a spotlight on this mod, I dropped IC2 and this mod into the mods folder, launched Minecraft with the instance I had created for it and it crashed before I got to the menu screen.

EDIT: Odd thing is, it only crashes with Unidye being the only other mod in the mods folder outside of CodeChickenCore, NEI, and IC2. Otherwise, it works fine. While you take care of things on your end, I'll quickly update my Forge install, see if something broke there.

Update: Okay, I quickly installed build 1.6.4-9.11.1.923 and it's a no-go, still crashes with the same error report.

• I am genuinely confused. That's all I can say. In my developer environment (for 1.6.2 as well as my new one for 1.6.4, they include IC², CCC and NEI), using my 1.6.2 release, I cannot recreate the error, everything starts up normally, etc. But once I put them into an actual minecraft installation, this weird error shows up, calling me out on using a method that does not exist, something to do with ItemHoe.. Which has nothing to do with the constructor of ItemWoolPart nor setting its unlocalizedName. Just...what? I really have no idea how this could even be remotely related. If someone is less confused than me, here's the source code:
    Unidye
    ItemWoolPart

Regarding the exploits: Like I said, these were not really in my mind since you don't really use them too often, at least in the modpacks I play, I will take the exploits out then. Another thing I would be really interested in are your opinions on balancing my mod. On my GregTech Survival World, I gathered some sheep early and used the wool in the generator instead of coal (those went into Coke Ovens) or Wood/Charcoal, which I thought was pretty handy..maybe a little too handy? But that's just GregTech, in normal IC² I doubt wool farming would be a viable early game energy generation.