[1.7.10] Gregtech Hardmode Server (aka Kirara 2.0)

• I think everyone slightly missed the point of TC here. It is an alternative, a fun side project if you will to Gregtech. What we would be doing is nerfing the start so you are forced to progress with GT, then once you get open to full GT power (at which point Thaumcraft loses all purpose as a shortcut), you can fiddle with TC for a bit of fun.

Thaumcraft is well balanced in this setting, as all it provides are items with similar functionality to Gregtech, but a bit prettier, more interesting, and in the case of golems, fun. Gregtech is what we love and will be using for progression but Thaumcraft is one of those things you can decide to pick up as a Technomage ooh what a title. Basically just as a way to have a bit of fun infusing your base with Tech and a hint of magic.

All we have to do is simply nerf the Thaumometer recipe (or something else if someone is violently opposed to that or something) and push TC way back until it is no longer a shortcut.
    --
    @mffs
    I much prefer what Calclavia has done (why would you hate the guy, that makes literally no sense) with his fantastic models and more unified design approach... but I would not like MFFS on the server, as it serves very little purpose in this peaceful setting and it takes much of the challenge out (with cheap quarries and Cloning abilitites and mob removal and such)
    @EE3
    I love what Pahimar has done and what he has planned. However, EE3 is simply not balanced for a hardcore technomagic modpack.
    Minalien
    He posted he was done with MC modding. No more out of him, as with a lot of modders recently.

• If it will affect our movement to the new server (aka redpowering the release) i would -1 for TC. A balanced Ic2 compatable alchemy addon to TC would change my mind (if it does exist) As for gregtech, until chickenbones gets his nei together, no gregtech. So it all is dependent on nei.

Can't agree more. Also, I won't update Unidye recipes until NEI is there. Not worth the effort when NEI will come either way.

• After reading MrRainbow's posts I changed my vote to not include Thaumcraft because I think he has a point. Even though I love that mod, it just doesn't fit the server and causes more troubles than fun.

In that case I'd like to support adding ModularPowerSuites as I find regular IC2 armor quite boring and I think it's a nice addition, being able to progressively upgrade your armor.

Another idea I had was expanding bee breeding, because with just Forestry and Adventure Mode it's very limited. There are two mods that come in mind and those are Gendustry and Magic Bees.
    Now you might think that Magic Bees won't fit the pack because of magic but that's not true, they have actually very little magic in them. What they add are bee species that can produce same stuff IC crops can, that is iron, copper, tin, lead, silver, gold, diamand, emerald and mob drops plus some extra such as nickel, platinum, apatite, wither skulls and dragon egg. The production speed of these bees is I think very well balanced and I suggest it as an alternative of crops.

Gendustry is industrial beekeeping, introducing electrical apiaries (running on EU) and beebreeding/mutating machines. Nice thing about this mod is that you can modify every recipe and energy usage in it with a config file, making it very easy to balance the mod with our needs. You feel like gene altering should be expensive? Make the machine require fusion reactor, 100M EU and an iridium block as a catalyst per cycle.

• As for golems, they caused major lag on my server back in 1.4.7, when you have a large field of wheat automated with golems.

• I still have mixed feelings about TC. I can't argue with some BA's points against Thaumcraft. Alone, however, if wands or thaumometer required stainless, you couldn't use TC to oredouble until the 2000k Blast Furnace. As for SMP making the difference, well, SMP and shops shortcut any tech tree if the player takes advantage of them. I'm all for instituting an honor system ban on sharing materials to breach the artificial gates on Thaumcraft.

Golem AI can be laggy. I propose a ban on golems within .75k of spawntown.

I like the thought of adjusting running costs, but I don't know how that can be done, except, as I suggested earlier, making the only nodes in the game be created via Fusion Reactor. This seriously chokes Vis income until endgame, making wand recipes nearly unavailable except when Vis is earned in tiny quantities from monster slaying.

Now that I think further, Thaumcraft is notoriously hard on server resources: Conditions to spawn the angry zombies and something about the magic trees cause huge resource drain. If that hasn't been resolved, we'll find Thaumcraft to be a huge pain. I suggest an early test-run with Opis to see how TC does when the time comes.

• Another thought: We are all techies. Some of us delve into the forbidden arcane: Anyone caught building a thaumcraft-related thing at spawn is equated to flagging PVP on. Anyone who builds a Thaumcraft outpost should expect it to be destroyed as soon as discovered (so hide it and don't flaunt it!).

That adds a very different kind of cost to electing that tech tree.

• I would enjoy two servers, one pro-pvp, one for recreation and building for the community.

If you have never heard of the Farlands, you're missing out.

The farlands supports GregTech

• I just think that thaumcraft would be a nice distraction from the harsh GT (hey, you need a break from it at some point). Something magic-y, or exploratory or something. Something that isn't JUST tech, but doesn't impose problems when mixing it with Gregtech. A well nerfed twilight forest comes to mind, or something like thaumcraft, or maybe something else. Something that (dare I say it) isn't Gregtech, to counterbalance all the tech (but not ruin the server because of it). That's what I'm looking for from thaumcraft.

At the end of the day, if something came up that fulfilled this requirement for a little side project, then I'd be fine with it.

• If we're keeping TC, I'm +1 for EE3. 8) Just kidding, of course. WTF

On a more serious note: I hereby pledge to help anyone (I don't actively dislike :P) cut through any tech tree if they can trade something I want (hint hint, I always want lapis, redstone and uranium ore). Honor system? Pah!

There is game to be had in building creative rigs and infrastructure, as well as working with other people. And that's where things get way more interesting that predefined tech trees. It's not that it's hard to uphold the mods' tech trees in SMP: It's that they are not something to be upheld.

Sure, the "Technomage" may progress in both trees, but having TC surely there's room for "Mageomages" that buy all their industrial goods and rent fusion reactors to spam nodes (with that preposterous, half baked node idea). In fact, pushing TC too far up the GT tech tree will only serve to ensure that the main means of getting TC gear will be trading and gifts.

The "Technotech" or whatever Linus is planning to be, will of course be shafted, the products of his labors devalued by the existence of the magic shop down the road.

@galacticraft:
    Hehe Invultri we actually agree on GC recipes being changed, albeit for different reasons: GC has a very simple 2 tier tech tree that wasn't by any means inspired to begin with.

TC on the other hand is quite well made, a product of 3 previous iterations on the concept, and (no offence, but especially after reading the specific ideas) I wouldn't trust you guys to tweak it.

Plus, pretty much as you said, we had ways of producing all but a couple of its required materials already and it doesn't really produce anything. So it was not a case of trying to keep it from shifting the balance of our gameplay, but simply slotting it in.

@Bees:
    There is already a mechanic to alter bee genetics in forestry: Breeding. It can lead you to building complex, large scale systems in order to get the genetic traits you want. It may be tempting to substitute the intelligence one would need for the task for a measly 100M EU and an Iridium block, but whatever the cost it removes a complex feature for a simplistic one.

Bees are already way easier and cheaper to automate than crops. And what does adventure mode have to do with it? It does not affect bees at all.

And no, we want no platinum or apatite bees. There are a precious few things that you can't get a steady stream of without digging, and those are the only things that keep having value in the late game.

@Side server idea:
    Now it really comes to invultri's vision and resources, but I don't see any reason for this server (or community) to be the total one-stop MC experience for anyone - I'd love to see a few different mod sets, and a bunch of them wouldn't even be that heavy to begin with: I.e. DivineRPG, Pixelmon, BtW could be fun distractions. A PvP server would be fun too.

I would say some magic pack including TC could fit that idea, but I'm pretty sure a TC server would be heavier than the GT one. Personally at some point I plan to go play on one with all the new casual mods like RotaryCraft and EnderIO and whatnot for a couple of weeks AND I'm happy that this server has nothing to do with them.

In any case though, if the reason for wanting TC was to have a break from the GT progression, I see no reason to have that break on Kirara itself. The main appeal of the server for me has been that there was no break from it: Everything you saw anyone achieve on the previous server has been on GT alone.

Anywayz, I'm being forced to go celebrate my birthday, later.

• If we were like active 8+ people that are interested, pvp would be a viable option (in groups). Also, something like Twilight Forest (with nerfz) that is a pure fun thing that doesnt break anything and is not usable as a shortcut or anything would be amazing.

• If we were like active 8+ people that are interested, pvp would be a viable option (in groups). Also, something like Twilight Forest (with nerfz) that is a pure fun thing that doesnt break anything and is not usable as a shortcut or anything would be amazing.

I was actually reviewing that hardcore ender expansion, that looked like it could fit in to give that extra adventure boost with the additional benefit of having more end to go around.

• I've been wanting to play around with rockets from ICBM. And a modded pvp server would fufill my curiosity. I would be on board with that

• I'm down for PVP. Teams are always fun.

But, if we had PVP, we couldn't have towns or anything.

• Official Post

Neutral towns/territory can always exist.

For example there will be the people which will stabilish in a neutral town (no pvp towards and from it) and others will stabilish in a team town, where pvp is enabled.

We need three names for those towns. Or more if more teams/towns exist.

• Are you thinking it of pvp with safetowns, or war with no base-building safe zones? (war as in all is fair)

• We're really exploring a lot of options here, but I would just like to register that K2 modeled after K1 with no large changes would still be nice. It felt pretty solid.

• Official Post

Are you thinking it of pvp with safetowns, or war with no base-building safe zones? (war as in all is fair)

War between towns with neutral ones, where base building and other creative things is safe.
    So only the ones who wish to pvp will fight.
    Although that would take some time and rules to properly stabilish.

I'm still for TC. I want it. I could agree with physicist thing of "forbidden magics"

• Erm... We were talking about the makeup of a possible side server with war or pvp. But an remote island would come in handy on a semi-pvp server.