Original Iridium resource gathering (With Poll)

• How should Iridium be gathered before you replicate it with UU? 33

1. A Meteorite found rarely in the world with one or two pieces. (15) 45%
    2. Pieces found in dungeons (current). (2) 6%
    3. Memory crystal found in dungeons, which can be used to replicate with UU. (10) 30%
    4. Other (comment). (6) 18%

Original OP:

Cause of the vast amount of energy needed to make one iridium ore it is much easier to search for it in dungeons (however its very rare)
    The idea is: why not place memory crystals with the iridium pattern in dungeons, netherforts etc instead of iridium ore?

• Only if

A. Its rarer then Iridium Ore
    B. Its cheaper (in terms of power) then making Iridium Ore
    C. You can't use it in some Iridium Ore (i.e not Quantum Suits)

• Official Post

IMO, GregTech Iridium Ore generation should be implemented to IC², thus removing the iridium ore from loot chests.

Until then though, I think it would be a good idea to replace the iridium with memory crystals with it implanted on. Gets rid of the "Dungeon -> Quantum suit" thing.

• IMO, GregTech Iridium Ore generation should be implemented to IC², thus removing the iridium ore from loot chests.
    Until then though, I think it would be a good idea to replace the iridium with memory crystals with it implanted on. Gets rid of the "Dungeon -> Quantum suit" thing.

I would rather have crystal memory with information for it instead of an actual ore, which would keep the otherworldly feel of Iridium from pre-Experimental builds of IC2 intact. The material itself cannot be found in the world, only documentation of how it is made.

• I think you should have to craft memory crystals by hand in order to make the Iridium... perhaps instead of a crystal memory copy of it, or an actual piece of it, how about some sort of experimental alloy? Perhaps you'd have to run this alloy through the Thermal Centrifuge to separate out the small Iridium Sample which you could make a Crystal Memory of.

It might help contribute to the lore of IC2 as well (since you're sort of rebuilding civilization with your vast knowledge of physics and engineering). And IC2 I think could really use some sort of background story (that isn't too in your face).

• if I manage to get moving, and figure it out, I'm going to add some bees for forestry that actually give small piles of iridium ore. along with a few bee types.....don't hold out hope for it to come out fast though....I've never modded before so I'll have to learn...and forestry may not be the easiest to start with...though we'll just have to wait and see.

• I choose for the Meteorite with iridium, the should only fall on the blocks that naturarlly appear in the biome the game wants to generate a metoerite(like ars magica 2), but you should also be able to guide those meteorites to hit a specific area for mining iridium. With the way of guiding the meteorite being a multiblock structure with a max guiding range(in which it will guide the meteorite) of 100 blocks.

• Maybe a nugget or something could be (thermal) centrifuged out of about a stack of endstone. Then, that would be used to make a larger piece of iridium, which would be scanned and replicated.

• current implementation is stupid.

why your character able to craft any device (know all recipes) but "must" scan dirt in order to replicate it?
    any logic behind it?

All recipes shoud be allowed right from begining without any scanning, i did fix for this long long ago for my server.

• why your character able to craft any device (know all recipes) but "must" scan dirt in order to replicate it?
    any logic behind it?

Machines don't have the knowledge you have so it has to "read" it from somewhere.

Also if you think people know what stuff dirt is made of you are massively overestimating the average knowledge level of people :)

• Official Post

Who the hell knows precisely what atoms and molecules are in a m^2 of dirt, along with every atom's structure and every molecules structure... off by heart? The scanning machine would be looking at EVERY atom and molecule in the item, otherwise it would not be able to synthesise it from raw energy.

• my character knows (with exact image in memory) how to build reactor.
    how to build matter scanner
    how to build mass fabricator
    remember firmware for all divices and able to load firmware into devices with eyeheld lasers

but can't remember periodic element table?

wtf?

scanning is still bullshit

• Official Post

Building atoms out of pure energy is a little more complicated than just proton, electron and neutron count (since you would need to synthesise different quarks too, and getting the right ones to be created together is going to be rather tricky, along with the whole: "Nearly every particle has a fairly short half life".
    Especially since most of what you learn during science education is a simplified form of reality.
    Besides, Scanning is mainly balance, to stop the whole: "Carry around a bunch of UU and be able to craft anything anywhere". Are you really going to be scanning an item multiple times anyway?

Carry around a bunch of UU and be able to craft anything anywhere

this is final target of purely endgame device that require real days to setup.

after you got UUM production - this is creative mode, korea style grinding in order to get sample very stupid addition.

• I think there should be meteors which generatwith worldgen and are quite rare, and there should be exactly one y-level(because of this), where you can actually find iridium - it is still quite rare, but actually findable if you spend a few hours.

Native language german, please point out mistakes to me. forget it, my english is better than that of a good deal of people on the forums anyway.

IC Related Quotes thread. If you ever need some good puns.

• My opinion: why not give players a choice in how they get it? the whole 'Iridium Anomoly' thing certainly seems like decent RL precedent to argue for the inclusion of iridium as a potential ore, and though I'd guess we don't really get too many iridium-laced micro-meteorites impacting our planet in the modern day, I could see a rare-event iridium micro-meteor, perhaps similar to how Ars Magicka has moonstone meteor impacts, being a neat mechanic alongside iridium ore. perhaps giving you a tiny piece of iridium/iridium nugget when mined.

However these possible mechanics would still need to be balanced with the fact that the QuantumSuit is quite a powerful piece of tech, and while one currently needs 40 pieces of iridium ore to craft it, it makes you, to quote Chocohead, 'immortal'. So the power it gives the player does need to be balanced with how hard it is to make (and thus, the iridium being the main production bottleneck, needing to stay quire rare indeed)

Besides, the whole 'find the ore in a dungeon' always seemed silly to me. Dunno why; it is after all, thought to be an extra-terrestrial metal. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I suck at finding dungeons. :S