Is it possible to play ic2 and GT on a low end PC?

• Im trying to build a pack that my son can play with me on my laptop that has 4gb of RAM and no real video card.

I used to play FTB ultimate on it, and wuold get 30 fps or so as long as I wasn't in my base. then it would drop dramatically.

These days it seems the newer packs from ftb, AT launcher, etc all work a computer much harder, but its hard to find out exactly why. is it how the mods are coded, or just the sheer number of mods?

Right now I installed FTB lite2 on my laptop and it seems to run ok. With a pack like Dw20 and adding GT to it, that laptop would get 2 fps in a brand new world, with no machines built at all. FTB Lite2: 35 fps. Are mods that add world gen the issue (Biomes o plenty, mods adding ores) by making world gen harder on the pc, or is it just that having more mods just creates more overhead, even if there are no mod blocks actually in play and in use?

What Im looking to do is make a very basic pack, buildcraft, railcraft, forestry, ic2 and GT and NEI, nothing more. Any opinions on whether this would run better, worse, or the same as a typical FTB pack? Is GT, just due to its size, hard on resources, and is it just impossible to use a mod that expansive on a 4gb laptop with no video card?

Any help is appreciated. :)

• Official Post

GT doesn't cause any FPS Issues in 1.6.4 at all. If you get FPS Issues, then you might have not enough ALLOCATED RAM, meaning you need to allocate more. 512MB (MC Default) is not enough for any Mod, 1GB for a few Mods, but 2GB are enough for almost every Modpack. Your Modpacks might have other Allocation Settings causing different RAM allocations.

I would recommend using the vanilla MC Launcher and setting the JVM Arguments to allocate 2GB of RAM (-Xmx2G) or in your Case directly to 4GB (-Xmx4G). It wont actually use all of it at once, it just means it is allowed to take that much RAM if needed.

• Ram isn't that much of a problem, the real issue is frame rate lag...

I run a 6gb laptop and still only get 10 fps on a good day, 2-3 on a bad one :(

• Cool, thanks. :) I was going to try ftb lite for my son but he said he 'wanted the one with the solar panels' so i think a very small custom pack with ic2 and GT is in his future. :)

• Concerning World gen, it depends on the specific piece. I know randomly generated structures, Aura nodes, Taint, and some flowing liquids cause severe FPS issues (considering as the most RAM I can dedicate on mine is 1GB (thankyou 32-bit OS...:( ). The other big issue is mobs so I'd watch the amount of mob adding mods you add into this pack. I know IC2 and GT don't add in a lot of these things but it helps when considering other mods.

• Official Post

There is an unofficial optifine patch on the thread to make it work with IC2 at least

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Forgot to reply here, thanks for the other replies. I will stay away from thaumcraft, going with BC ,railcraft, IC2, GT and a couple other addons, forestry... I think thats it. Oooh Chisel and Carpenters blocks. :)

Ill try it with 1.6 for now, my son is going crazy wanting to get started. :)