New 5X5 Ic2 reactor steam - set to generic "steam"?

• Hi guys,

I searched the forum and the googles, but I could not find any way: Iw as looking for a way to make Ic2 reactors output real "steam', not "ic2.steam" or something else, so that it can tie in properly with other mods that already use steam (which is a good few of them). Is there a config, can a config be added, or can I just edit something?

• nonsense its not a Bug.. Reactor create IC2 Stream for good reasons BALANCE... if IC2 Steam is compatible with "default" Steam it would destroy Balance of other Mods líke Railcraft.,... and no i will not at a config option...

• Official Post

Add our steam the ore dictionary, but not have machines accept it. If you put some in, have an error message on the machine saying "steam too dense" or something.

• I can't really think of imbalance issues. The IC2 Steam Generator only accepting IC2 steam is fair, but IC2 steam is harder to get than Railcraft's.

Either way, I think maybe Minetweaker can do this.

Now you see me, now you don't...

• nonsense its not a Bug.. Reactor create IC2 Stream for good reasons BALANCE... if IC2 Steam is compatible with "default" Steam it would destroy Balance of other Mods líke Railcraft.,... and no i will not at a config option...

I don't actually have railcraft installed, but regardless, it does seem like something that could be a config option: If the user wants to do that (default disabled would be sensible, so you need to go actively change it) then they can. Different people play in different ways.

• I can't really think of imbalance issues. The IC2 Steam Generator only accepting IC2 steam is fair, but IC2 steam is harder to get than Railcraft's.

I agree, sir. In the real world, nuclear reactors make steam. I'd love to centralize our power around nuclear reactors making steam, and use that steam primarily for IC2/GT power. I'd also like to use it for MJ and RF power. As it is, we have to use non-GT, non-IC2 methods of generating steam to make RF and MJ power. Not ideal.

I also don't see an imbalance issue with steam coming *from* IC2/GT and being fed *into* other mods like RC.

To prevent RC steam being fed into IC2 Steam Generator, have it accept ic2.steam only, but have the nuclear reactor output either ic2.steam or generic steam.

Edit : My comments are for the hot-coolant-to-steam convertor block, not the reactor proper.

Steam is traditionally a cross-mod integration medium. When mods decide to run their own direction with steam, it is, unfortunately, extremely cross-mod unfriendly and runs contrary to established norms, further limiting the access this mod can have to players.

IC2 Cross-Mod compatibility score impact: -10.

A reasonable argument might be that the steam carries more meta information than typical steam (to differentiate between types of water perhaps). Is this the primary obstacle?

Would like to see someone more clever than myself propose an intelligent solution to this. If t-dark is some sort of developing-genius, he'll likely be interested in ideas that promote streamlining (steam is steam) over further fracturing.

• Official Post

Hate to break it to you, but the nuclear reactor doesn't output steam. At all. Either it outputs EU, or hot coolant. The hot coolant can be turned into IC2 steam, but the nuclear reactor will not do it by itself.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Hate to break it to you, but the nuclear reactor doesn't output steam. At all. Either it outputs EU, or hot coolant. The hot coolant can be turned into IC2 steam, but the nuclear reactor will not do it by itself.

Thanks for that clarification. It's the block that turns hot coolant into IC2 steam that I really care about, then.

• Hate to break it to you, but the nuclear reactor doesn't output steam. At all. Either it outputs EU, or hot coolant. The hot coolant can be turned into IC2 steam, but the nuclear reactor will not do it by itself.

Hiya Choco

I don't think this is particularly relevant, especially if you consider the "reactor" as all its constituent parts, not just the blocks named "reactor." At the end of the day, his "Reactor Building" is still outputting something that would ideally streamline with existing steam.

Whether the dev is interested in or capable of implementing such streamlining is what I and others are curious about.

• Pyure: There is a config to allow the default non 5x5 reactor to output steam instead of EU, I know it used to use Railcraft Steam as priority, not sure if it still works though.

Is there? That would still be off-topic for the thread however. (Although it suggests even more fractured design sadly. I'm a professional software architect, maybe it just bugs me personally)

• It's absolutely true that IC2 steam does not equal Railcraft steam in balance (water:steam fuel:steam steam:energy are all different).

I am curious to know: why the departure from compatibility, rather than trying to design it compatible in the first place?

Can they be made compatible in the eventual future? (Even if it's with a conversion block... let's call it... steam pressure balancer or something.)

• Is there? That would still be off-topic for the thread however. (Although it suggests even more fractured design sadly. I'm a professional software architect, maybe it just bugs me personally)

My understanding is that this output-steam-config-option is deprecated in favor of the new mechanics that replace its intent.

• I'd love to get steam form reactor compatible with railcraft steam. Even for fun purposes - in railcraft steam is lost - there is no calcification etc.. It is not imbalanced imho - it is just dufferent. You would need to constantly input distiled water to produce steam that will be used by railcraft machines, which would be real pain.. but making it incompatible by purpose seems wrong :) I can swallow superheated steam as different medium :)

Inteligence is not everything - wisdom is more than that.
    "Survival is survival dammit.. don't give me this stinky cheated diamonds.. .. or else.." - by unknown hero