The "Greg Way" and "Greg Way Mods" questions

• Hello!
    I am newbie, learning the GregTech mod. So far I am flooded chat with many simple questions, and I decided to move them into the separate thread.
    My modlist contains: appliedenergistics2, buildcraft-6.4.2, forestry_3.4.0.7, gregtech_5.07.07, nuclear control 1.7.10.07, industrialcraft-2-2.2.691, ironchest-6.0.62.742, NotEnoughItems-1.0.4.90, OpenComputers-1.5.2.9, ProjectRed-4.5.14.66.
    I started playing with IC2 and Forestry ore generation turned off, to get more "Greg Way"-ish experience.
    I am in the Bronze Era now, with Coal Boiler and Alloy Smelter. Because of huge steam consumption Alloy Smelter (and lacking the way to see state of its inner buffer), I decided to generate steam, store it somehow and use it later. Firstly, I wanted to use Tanks from Buildcraft, but I did not find a way to make them output the steam in GregTech pipes, and wooden liquid pipe is too slow to feed the Alloy Smelter.
    So I have three questions:

1) Is my idea too "cheaty" for GregTech? Am I supposed to do the turn on/turn off on alloy smelter, or to have multiple boilers per one machine?
    2) Is there a GregTech way to store the liquids, so I am not supposed to use different mods?
    3) What liquid-container-mod is best for use with GregTech?

The Mary Sue is not defined by her power, but by her lack of an even more powerful opponent. ©LessWrong

• 1) Is my idea too "cheaty" for GregTech? Am I supposed to do the turn on/turn off on alloy smelter, or to have multiple boilers per one machine?
    2) Is there a GregTech way to store the liquids, so I am not supposed to use different mods?
    3) What liquid-container-mod is best for use with GregTech?

1) There is nothing "too cheaty" for gregtech except a cheats itself.
    2) No (may be Greg himself knows better).
    3) RailCraft.

Don't forget, that unless this is specially described, any tanks will not auto output fluids in GT pipes, you have to use "pump cover" and set up it with screwdriver.
    Also, i saw "gregtech survival guide" somewhere around. Try to google it.
    EDIT:
    Aha, found it: [WIP] Gregtech Survival Guide [v2, GT5, 1.7.10]

• Don't forget, that unless this is specially described, any tanks will not auto output fluids in GT pipes, you have to use "pump cover" and set up it with screwdriver.
    Also, i saw "gregtech survival guide" somewhere around. Try to google it.
    EDIT:
    Aha, found it: [WIP] Gregtech Survival Guide [v2, GT5, 1.7.10]

So any tanks are not GT-accessible unless I have electricity. Got it, thanks. And thank you for the guide and other answers =-)

The Mary Sue is not defined by her power, but by her lack of an even more powerful opponent. ©LessWrong

• Use Nuclear Control 2.1.2a goddamn it. That older version is buggy.

Help the Official FTB Wiki reach a billion pages! [I had to keep changing it so there ^^]

Someone should fix the gravel texture in the background. It's been years now, come on people.

• Thanks =-)
    My cows are slowly dying without a reason. Is it because of GT changes in breeding?

Edited once, last by StragaSevera ().

• Official Post

Greg added an animal density check to kill animals if there's 3 or more occupying the same block space.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Greg added an animal density check to kill animals if there's 3 or more occupying the same block space.

Thanks. I'll try to enlarge the cow house =-)

• Is there a way to completely disallow vanilla-IC2 blocks? B:AllowIC2Machines=false simply does not work.

• Wow! Answer from GregoruisT! Thank you very much, did not know about replacement =-)
    Another question: is there a way to make TreeCapitator work with GregTech's axe?
    Option:
    gregtech {
    S:axeIDList=4612:6
    M:modID=GregTech
    B:overrideIMC=false
    S:shearsIDList=
    }
    does not work.

• Thanks. Does it work only in 6.x GT or in 5.x too? How to enable it? =-)
    NVM, found B:timber_axe=true.

Edited once, last by StragaSevera ().

• Another question: what is the easiest/quickiest/whatever way to obtain level 3 pickaxe? I want diamonds for my macerator =-)

• I don't think you listed any of the mods that add alternate materials for level 3 pickaxes (e.g. Thaumcraft), so here are some options I can think of, roughly in ascending order of difficulty/time consumption:
    1. Find some diamonds in a chest. (e.g. desert temple, nether fortress, village blacksmith - looking at the Minecraft wiki, I think all of the vanilla generated chests except for the bonus chest have a chance to include some diamonds)
    2. Look for small topaz or small blue topaz ore, such as in the exposed stone of extreme hills, and hope for plain, flawless, or exquisite topazes.
    3. Look for small diamond ore, which by default can only spawn at layers 5-10, so you might want a hazmat suit first to protect yourself from the lava. (and again, hope for plain, flawless, or exquisite)
    4. Use an electric blast furnace to smelt titanium. (a bit crazy to do this before building a macerator, though, since you also need an ore washing plant and centrifuge to get titanium dust at LV tier)

• Cobalt is also a lvl 3 material that can be found within nickel veins.

And the cobaltite ore doesn't require a tier 3 pickaxe to mine it?

Edit: just tried it myself starting from creative mode, and apparently a GT iron pickaxe will work, which surprises me a bit.

• Okay, thanks, will look for it =-)
    Another question. Can "big" ore veins be placed one under another? If I dig to not-needed-now ore, shall I look "under" the deposit?

• I've seen mix veins overlap, but I don't think one can be entirely under another, so I don't bother looking lower once I've found one - I just record the layer and type, and move on to dig at the next location.