[GregTech-5][1.7.10-FORGE-1355+][Unofficial but approved Port][Stable] Even GT5 Experimental is slowly getting stable.

• Has anyone experienced the LHE despawning shortly after being turned on?
    I just finished building my Nuclear Power plant and the LHE controller block aswell as any hatches despawn a few seconds after turning on. Alsmost as if they experienec "Over-Voltage".
    Afterwards I'm left with a chunk of Titanium casings which do me no good.

This also happens in a creative world. The LHE is build in a single chunk.

Any ideas?

Somewhat unfortunate choice of name for the machine, since the abbreviation is ambiguous with the single-block Liquid Heat Exchanger. However, since you mention titanium casings, I presume you mean the Large Heat Exchanger. As far as it exploding, that multiblock doesn't require an energy hatch, so it can't exactly experience over-voltage, but it can explode if it runs out of distilled water while running.

Based on the wiki description of the Large Boiler, I thought it might explode if it ran out of water even without heat input (such as charcoal) unless disabled by soft hammer, and that the Large Heat Exchanger was similar in that regard, but looking at the code, I'm not sure either would explode unless they ran out of (distilled) water while actually running.

• Somewhat unfortunate choice of name for the machine, since the abbreviation is ambiguous with the single-block Liquid Heat Exchanger. However, since you mention titanium casings, I presume you mean the Large Heat Exchanger. As far as it exploding, that multiblock doesn't require an energy hatch, so it can't exactly experience over-voltage, but it can explode if it runs out of distilled water while running.

Based on the wiki description of the Large Boiler, I thought it might explode if it ran out of water even without heat input (such as charcoal) unless disabled by soft hammer, and that the Large Heat Exchanger was similar in that regard, but looking at the code, I'm not sure either would explode unless they ran out of (distilled) water while actually running.

Yes I was talking about the Large Heat Exchanger.
    Its not that the whole thing explodes... its just that the four Input/Output hatches, the maintainance hatch and the cotroller itself just... disappear. Iam pretty sure it was supplied with distilled water although I'll check again.

In a completely unrelated matter... did you know that an exploding 5x5 reactor doesen't care about being submerged under 4 blocks of water and a layer of reinforced stone? It still took out half of the building..

• Official Post

In a completely unrelated matter... did you know that an exploding 5x5 reactor doesen't care about being submerged under 4 blocks of water and a layer of reinforced stone? It still took out half of the building..

With the nerfs to water's blast resistance it won't contribute to stopping a reactor explosion, it would only be the single layer of reinforced stone that would've stopped the entire building being destroyed.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Yes I was talking about the Large Heat Exchanger.
    Its not that the whole thing explodes... its just that the four Input/Output hatches, the maintainance hatch and the cotroller itself just... disappear. Iam pretty sure it was supplied with distilled water although I'll check again.

Okay, that's freaky. I haven't tried a Large Heat Exchanger. Personally, I prefer fluids with better energy density, like biogas - even at 100% effiiciency, superheated steam only carries 1 EU per Liter, whereas biogas can provide 21.7 EU per Liter in an HV gas turbine at GT 5.08 efficiencies (probably a little better with 5.09 efficiencies, since the wiki lists 70% for the HV gas turbine, and the tooltip in-game now says 85%).

http://wiki.industrial-craft.n…29#Vanilla_blocks_changed - IC2 nerfs water's explosion resistance to 30, so it doesn't help as much as one might expect.
    http://wiki.industrial-craft.n…hp?title=Reinforced_Stone - recommends using a double-block wall to contain nuclear explosions, though that's as of IC2v1.9.

• Okay the case of the disappearing Heat exchanger has been solved.
    It was indeed due to a lack of distilled water. But why it only kills the hatches is beyond me.
    The reason for that is that the turbines arent outputting distilled water as I expected. Instead they are outputting normal steam.
    Was it always this way or did something change?

Not that Iam complaining, I can always use additional energy. If thats normal, does anyone know the exact conversion ration for SHS to normal Steam? I cant find anything on the wiki.

As it stands I have four 5x5 reactors each producing 1200 Hot Coolant/s this is fed into a LHE which produces enough SHS to feed 6 HSS-E Turbines. After all I should get 8kEU/t out of this.

I share your preference for Biogas. But what I gain form the higher energy density of Biogas, I loose in the huge footprint I need to produce enough Biomass. I had Biogas setup running but I could barely feed one turbine.
    I assume you were using custom bred IC2 crops? I never got into that and have no idea how that works.

In addition I have huge stockpiles of fissible Material which I need to burn. As a bonus I get lots of plutonium out of this which I can use for out of the way RTG'S.

• When a multi block explodes, the explosion only comes from "hatches" and the controller block.

So possibly for some reason explosions are disabled where your LHE is?

Edit: Bloodasp brought up the good point of the explosion not being powerful enough which is probably more likely

• When a multiblock explodes, all active parts of it(hatches, controller) get removed and explosions get triggered at that space. It seems for some reason the explosions triggered were too weak to destroy other blocks. I have seen other explosions of the LHE and that destroyed quite a lot more.

The conversion ratios of water/steam is: 1L Water = 160L SHSteam = 160L Steam. Superheated Steam needs 2x the heat to be produced and produces 2x the EU as normal steam. It turning into normal steam is the step making it more efficient. You need 2 stages of turbines, but your energy output is 50% more for the same amount of fuel used. That way your 6000EU/t turn into 9000EU/t.

• As it stands I have four 5x5 reactors each producing 1200 Hot Coolant/s this is fed into a LHE which produces enough SHS to feed 6 HSS-E Turbines. After all I should get 8kEU/t out of this.

I share your preference for Biogas. But what I gain form the higher energy density of Biogas, I loose in the huge footprint I need to produce enough Biomass. I had Biogas setup running but I could barely feed one turbine.
    I assume you were using custom bred IC2 crops? I never got into that and have no idea how that works.

8| You have four 5x5 reactors and 6 turbines set up, and yet you're bothered by the huge footprint needed to produce enough biomass?

Anyway, yes, I'm using custom bred IC2 crops - high stat pumpkins to be specific. I use a crop harvester with some GT item pipes leading to a pair of macerators, a pyrolyse oven, and a distillation tower to get biogas.

As for how the crop breeding works, some of the threads in the agriculture engineering thread might help you understand that (I've mostly been using the "large batches" strategy I described here: Crop breeding strategies for better stats - portable scanner vs. large batches? ).

• 8| You have four 5x5 reactors and 6 turbines set up, and yet you're bothered by the huge footprint needed to produce enough biomass?

Well... if you put it that way... I didn't think this setup was that big since I need at least 4000 Hot Coolant/s to get the LHE to produce SHS at max efficiency.
    And I got my biomass from plain old carrots without much growth acceleration. If I want to get serious with Biogas, I would need to start breeding.
    Also... nuclear is way cooler than Biogas.. I mean.. look at that:
    I even put blue lights in there to emulate Cherenkov radiation :D. Please disregard the "natural ventilation" and the missing covers on the pipes.
    This setup will probably only get bigger as I get more Plutonium to use in MOX. This also wont affect my huge thorium supply, and as that isnt as energy dense as Uranium or MOX I will probably expand this in the future.

When a multiblock explodes, all active parts of it(hatches, controller) get removed and explosions get triggered at that space. It seems for some reason the explosions triggered were too weak to destroy other blocks. I have seen other explosions of the LHE and that destroyed quite a lot more.

That sounds about right. But when I tested this in creative I put the LHE on plain dirt and the dirt still wasnt affected by the explosion.

The conversion ratios of water/steam is: 1L Water = 160L SHSteam = 160L Steam. Superheated Steam needs 2x the heat to be produced and produces 2x the EU as normal steam. It turning into normal steam is the step making it more efficient. You need 2 stages of turbines, but your energy output is 50% more for the same amount of fuel used. That way your 6000EU/t turn into 9000EU/t.

Oh boy... here we go again on Blue steel and HSS production. I might need more than 4 EBF's...
    I ninja edited my original post and changed the 6kEU/t to 8kEU/t which means that once iam done, I will produce 12kEU/t. I wonder if that will last me until fusion.
    Probably not.. I was that naive before with my Charcoal setup. and that only produces 4kEU/t.

• Well... if you put it that way... I didn't think this setup was that big since I need at least 4000 Hot Coolant/s to get the LHE to produce SHS at max efficiency.
    And I got my biomass from plain old carrots without much growth acceleration. If I want to get serious with Biogas, I would need to start breeding.
    Also... nuclear is way cooler than Biogas.. I mean.. look at that:
    I even put blue lights in there to emulate Cherenkov radiation :D. Please disregard the "natural ventilation" and the missing covers on the pipes.

Interesting point about nuclear reactors looking cooler than a biogas setup.

About the carrots: if you look at http://ftb.gamepedia.com/Crop_…g_%28IndustrialCraft_2%29 you'll notice that carrots have two minor disadvantages compared to pumpkins: 1. they're 1 tier higher, so they probably grow more slowly even at the same stats; 2. they require light level of at least 9 to grow, so you'd need to provide some artifical light sources such as glowstone or torches to allow them to grow at night. On the other hand, they have the advantage of macerating directly to bio chaff, instead of needing to be macerated twice.

• That is a really nice setup. I never thought about transfering the heat elsewhere to gain on efficiency.
    I might try something like that for my Thorium Core.
    Also, I didnt know that you could make the IC2 multiblocks share a wall. The more you know.

I see you are using HSS-S Turbines, I would like to as well. But so far I didnt have any luck with finding Iridium or Osmium. And I value my Tungsten too much to use it on a Tungstencarbide rotor which has less than halve the durability of HSS-S.
    I also really like your storage for the Coolant(I read that some Power plants use heat sinks like that too). I dont use something like that and just live with a bit of normal steam sneaking through on warm-up. Since I plan on using this for my baseload warm-up shouldnt happen too often.

For now I'm producing materials for 6 new turbines. But I will share my setup once everything is running and I fixed the hole in the wall.
    After the Reactor is running I need to work on automation.. I need something to produce Hydrogen and Centrifuge Redstone aswell as process Ores in huge amounts.

• I did not yet view your latest GT5 video and also never really tried that conversion myself, but following NEI it should be possible.

Galacticraft has two types of Oxygen.

1. Gaseous oxygen that is not a forge compatiple fluid and only works with GC machines and oxygen pipes. This is the one you need to stay alife in space.
    2. Liquid oxygen this is a forge fluid and should be equal and exchangeable with GT oxygen.

There are GC machines that is able to convert beween these two types of oxygens. If i remember right, that should be the Oxygen Decompressor. In the other direction the Gas Liquefier.

• So, there's been discussion previously about how to encourage players to upgrade the single block machines instead of building massive lines of duplicates. These discussions usually have one faction arguing to have all the tiers be the same efficiency, by increasing the speedup from 2x to 4x, which is countered by another faction pointing out that LV recipes would then process at 256 times the basic speed, instead of the 16x it is now, which would be rather ludicrous. The idea of making the power scale at 2x alongside the speed increase is sometimes mentioned, but dismissed as not practical to implement. It's also been suggested that the pollution mechanic can encourage upgrading, by making higher tier machines less susceptible to pollution, but this makes players choose between more power efficiency and convenience rather than actually encouraging upgrading (just spread your thousand LV machines out more, and chunkload a bigger area).

As a server maintainer, I've got a vested interest in encouraging people to upgrade machines, since (ceteris paribus) fewer machines means less server load. The processing array helps with this a lot, since it takes 192 LV centrifuges down to 12 processing arrays, but would only take 1 IV-filled processing array, if it wasn't disastrous to the power usage.

Since I was compiling the latest GT5U anyway, to make some minor changes (tool damage / use), I decided to take a look at the meta tile entity that controls the single-block machines. At first I was thinking of just reducing the power scaling rate (isn't actually hard, just requires a separate variable for tracking the number of times to apply the overclocking multiplier), but then I came up with a different idea that might be of interest.

Instead of increasing exponentially, increase linearly, both by increasing the number of items processed at once and by decreasing the time taken. Also, don't calculate the power requirement based on the number of items being processed, so higher tier machines must be kept full to benefit. Specifically, a 32V 100 tick recipe in a MV machine would draw 128 EU/t for 50 ticks, and produce 2x the output, from 2x the input. This is the same efficiency as an LV machine. The same recipe in an HV machine would draw 256 EU/t for 37 ticks and produce 3x the output. In each of these cases, the energy required is right around 3200 EU (slightly less for HV+ since the number of ticks is rounded down), but if only one item is available to process, it jumps to 9500 EU / item for HV. Then overclocking covers could be added to let a machine work faster and drop the efficiency to stock levels.

Anyway, I'm not done implementing it yet, and I may make adjustments once I see how it actually works, but I think it strikes a decent balance between increasing cost and complexity of the machines and increased output.

• and produce 2x the output, from 2x the input

We already have problem with multiplying input. Processing Array with centrifuges cant process redstone with full efficiency
    because of limitation of stacksize.

Ideal Industrial Assembly (IIA) - my pretty hard industrial modpack based on GT5.09

Идеальная Индустриальная Сборка (ИИС) - довольно сложный сугубо индустриальный модпак, базирующийся на GT5.09

http://sapientmail.wixsite.com/minecraft

• Just used a few hours to remove one mod at a time in a large modpack to figure out which one caused the issues i have.

It seems like its GregTech that does it.
    Using minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/angry-pixel-the-betweenlands-mod together with GregTech, makes the dimension not load.
    Using it just with IC2, GT and Between The Lands, makes the dimension not load.

When using the talisman on a oak sapling, then use the portal in the tree that spawns, makes the screen stay at "Downloading Terrain".

Removing GregTech 5U, makes the dimension loads again.

The bug can be reproduced with just:
    TheBetweenlands-1.0.3-alpha-universal
    gregtech-5.09.21
    industrialcraft-2-2.2.821-experimental

This bug has also been reported to the dev of Between The Lands :)