[GregTech-5][1.7.10-FORGE-1355+][Unofficial but approved Port][Stable] Even GT5 Experimental is slowly getting stable.

• The default chance is 1 Asteroid every 300 chunks. So, did you lower the number to get more asteroids?
    I:AsteroidProbability_300=1 would result in every chunk containing a asteroid.

Ok so lowering the probablity increases the chance of asteroids spawning. Always thought it was the other way round, so when testing ended up having asteroids every 5000 chunks. Thanks!

• I ran into a major difficulty bump, and I want to be sure I understand what's going on.

The Pyrolise Oven requires Kanthal coils. A fair number of metals are gated behind needing Kanthal coils, but my primary concern right now is a ready source of renewable oil, so I don't have to keep making mining runs for Oilsand, and the oven does a wood -> oil conversion.

Kanthal smelting produces a hot ingot. The only way to convert the hot ingot to a usable ingot as a Vacuum Freezer.

The Vacuum Freezer requires processor boards, which in turn needs polytetrafluorethylene (aka teflon), which has a complicated refining process involving LPG, chlorine, and fluorine.

Is that correct? I figured I was pretty close to being ready for Kanthal until I discovered that I needed teflon.

• Yeah, the vacuum freezer is expensive in terms of needing high-tier circuits. Also, the wood to oil recipe takes a lot of EU - 61440 to convert 16 logs to 200 L heavy oil. I haven't done all the calculations, but if you're planning to use that to make diesel or nitro diesel, you might want to make sure you can actually get positive net EU that way.

• 200L heavy oil can be converted to 200L oil, which converts to 250L nitro diesel. The energy cost for doing so isn't that high compared to the EU content of the fuel. I worked it out at one point, but call it about 120,000 EU after processing costs. Net energy surplus is about 60,000 EU.

Now that I'm actually talking about it "out loud" instead of just running it through my head, it's a bad plan. The conversion process takes 16 seconds, which means the net output, all things considered, is about 187 EU/t. I'd be better off building another large boiler, burning the wood in the boiler, converting it to electricity locally to avoid the problems with steam's low energy density, and running wire. A large steel boiler generates 24,000 L of steam per second, which converts to about 400 EU/t, for a lot lower cost overall.

I guess the primary purpose of the pyrolyse oven is mass conversion of wood to charcoal? I enabled the vanilla wood->charcoal recipe when I first started playing, just because I couldn't otherwise figure out how to get torches in the stone age. These days I've got automated vanilla stone furnaces converting wood to charcoal faster than my boiler can use it.

I'm mostly running off nitro diesel at this point. The energy density is ridiculous compared to steam, so distribution's a non-issue. Processing takes a while, but it works out to producing fuel worth about 2,000 EU/t.

I've also got a massive surplus of ethanol now that I need to utilize better. That was an iffy side-product of the tree farm for a long time, but I finally got into breeding better trees. The ones I've got aren't that great ("average" saplings and "low" sappiness), but they're still producing ethanol far, far faster than the demand of the basic electric blast furnace, which is the main consumer.

I guess I should get into oil drilling.

• I've brought this up before. A worthy solution would be to have coil tiering for the Pyrolyse Oven, with Cupronickel coils allowing for ordinary wood to charcoal smelting, Kanthal for the charcoal recipes that use Nitrogen and Nichrome for the wood to heavy oil recipe. For now, I simulate that by producing Cupronickel coils then deleting them and cheating in Kanthal ones to use.

• The config has something about pollution. I played GT5 at the final update Greg made and never noticed anything. Is this missing from the 'what I changed' log, not actually there aside from configs, or just so insignificant it never came up?

• I gather pollution is not really implemented as yet. There's infrastructure for it, but no consequences yet. Which is fine by me, since I find the mod challenging enough as it is without worrying about something that's largely invisible until you build a tricorder, and not readily accessible even then.

Factorio has pollution, but it also has a map overlay that shows you the pollution. No tech requirement for that either. Factorio has an entirely different balance to the pollution anyway, since the consequences are largely increased alien attacks, and that's not something that fits Gregtech at all.

• it's not easy to accidentally produce enough pollution to see those consequences.

I've try it on my test world. 4 Implosion Compressors in one chunk working continuously more than 30 minutes could not make more than 1-1.2 mil of pollution.

Ideal Industrial Assembly (IIA) - my pretty hard industrial modpack based on GT5.09

Идеальная Индустриальная Сборка (ИИС) - довольно сложный сугубо индустриальный модпак, базирующийся на GT5.09

http://sapientmail.wixsite.com/minecraft

• Pollution is more of a machine spam prevention. Spamming dozens of low tier machines to produce EV+ energy is what ends with pollution effects. Upgrading your machines while progressing and not making more of the old stuff will keep you in the save area.

If that's the intent, it makes sense, but it still seems opaque. You could end up with pollution issues and not have any clue what was causing it. Short of running around with a tricorder.

Even then it's problematic. I've got a tricorder, mainly for diagnosing cases where the wrong fluid is in a pipe. I don't have any feel for how much pollution I have, or what's producing it.

• The scaner is meant to get exact values.

The first effect is called smog. I did not yet get that working. It is meant to be a visible filter, like when in thaumcraft there is some eldritch stuff going on. Air becomming brown and muddy. This i meant to start early before any real effects come out.

So far i tried to do the effect for a few hours so far, but i will try it later once again. Coding stuff about visuals is certainly not my strengh.

• Wait a second, where do I get the bronze for the alloy smelter?

I got some copper and tin together, but I can't make it it into dust, and there's no hand-dust recipe in NEI either, only a mixer one.

Edit: needs a better than flint mortar, dust crafts fine after all.

• Bug or very weird decision, burning cactus now produces lapis dust?

Edit: regeneratign configs fixed it, but this recipe had been working on an identical config minus gregtech. Maybe add 'regenerate configs' to the install instructions?

• I've brought this up before. A worthy solution would be to have coil tiering for the Pyrolyse Oven, with Cupronickel coils allowing for ordinary wood to charcoal smelting, Kanthal for the charcoal recipes that use Nitrogen and Nichrome for the wood to heavy oil recipe. For now, I simulate that by producing Cupronickel coils then deleting them and cheating in Kanthal ones to use.

Or just an early game charcoal burning pile. Single use charcoal burners are made form dirt and wood, permanent ones are made of ceramic. The idea of needing electric machines to use bronze age tech is silly.

Railcraft fills the gap of course, but there's no real reason why it should have to.

• Or just an early game charcoal burning pile. Single use charcoal burners are made form dirt and wood, permanent ones are made of ceramic. The idea of needing electric machines to use bronze age tech is silly.

Railcraft fills the gap of course, but there's no real reason why it should have to.

The idea behind me adding the pyro oven was that too many were spamming huge amounts of RC coke ovens. Like 200+ of them. At the same time i did not want to replace them from the beginning, so it is more like: Start with <50 RC coke ovens, then upgrade to pyro oven.
    In steam age there is no automation, so using the manual charcoal pile is the way to go.

Bug or very weird decision, burning cactus now produces lapis dust?

I remember this from a year ago. As long i'm not mistaken, the reason was some other mod adding strange oredict tags, so autogenerated recipes broke. Maybe magic crops ore some mod like that.

• There seems to be something wrong with the 128 volt Regulator.

I've got a couple of them, one feeding a chest buffer connected to a centrifuge, one connected directly to an 128 volt electrolizer.

Both of them have multiple stacks that are over the set stack requirements, and won't move them. They just sit there, doing nothing. Both are enabled and are properly connected to power. The destinations in both cases are empty. No item pipes are involved.

For example, the centrifuge regulator has a stack of 64 redstone (minimum set to 10) and 64 cinnibar (minimum set to 2) and nothing's moving.

They have sometimes worked in the past, but neither one has moved anything for at least 10 minutes.

EDIT: Figured it out. The default "slot 0" configuration in the third grid of the UI was preventing anything from moving. When I changed them to slot 4, everything started moving.

This actually touches on something I've noticed before, which is that many machines have input slots that start at 4, including the chest buffer it appears, and this is not at all intuitive. Nor is "0" a good default if almost everything requires 4.

• I notice that I've accumulated some arsenic from processing cobaltite, and that it has no use at present. Perhaps it could be used in recipes that call for Grin Powder (weed-EX, potion of harming) or to make battery alloy (since that's an actual use in the real world.

There's also gallium arsenide, which is a semiconductor. I'm not sure where it would fit in the chain of electronics. NAND chips are the obvious one, but gallium arsenide would be a lot harder to obtain than the usual red alloy / plastic source.

• I'm having problems prospecting for oil with a Seismic Prospector, and I'm wondering if I don't understand something, or oil is just much, much rarer than the wiki says.

I've prospected 36 sites, each 96 squares from each other, since I understand oil depends on the local 6x6 chunk.

All of them are returning 0. They'll say "light oil," "heavy oil, or "natural gas," but it's always 0L. I thought that was only supposed to happen 28% of the time? The FTB wiki claims I should see 25 usable sites, and roughly 4 of them should be returning 300+ L. Is it the prospector? Or is there really no oil in the world?

I haven't built an oil rig yet to test whether the prospector is lying to me.