[Suggestion] wood processing

• Do you want more wood processing machines and advanced wood ressources? 5

1. i want to build woodcastles in the sky (3) 60%
    2. i like training my karate skills on trees (1) 20%
    3. maybe more wood usage would be nice (1) 20%
    4. whats wood? (0) 0%
    5. don't care (0) 0%

So i've been playing ic and thinking how there really is a lack of later-tier machinery and even MFE units :MFE-Transmitter: are such a pain to get if youre not lucky enough to obtain alot of diamonds :Industrial Diamond: thru mining... and what struck my mind then, was that coal was the essential ressource to create industrial diamonds but to get coal you would have to mine alot of it naturally or roast a freaking forest :Coal Dust: which isnt that hard but still not the perfect thing... so what could solve all that? right! a damn lumbermill sort of thing, i mean hey, when u split log to 4 planks its like doing KARATE-CHOP KYAH! and then luckily gettin 4 even pieces, but wouldnt it be more reasonable to put it in a chainsaw equipped machine? or, for the purpose of diamond production, burn the log in a way that produces 2 coal dust instead of just 1? i'm trying to keep this quite theoretical, so please excuse me for not giving any exact recipes and stuff, but tell me what you think of it! thanks!

• I see what you mean, maybe have a wood-splitting machine that has makes 5 or 6 planks instead of just 4? And im not sure about the coal dust because i have an Equivalent exchange so my 16 glowstone aggregrators give me all the diamonds i need :)

• Official Post

Possible, but there's a slight flaw: When do you even need wood for the planks? Afaik 90% of all chopped wood is used for charcoal either way. And i don't think one would create a machine for the few pieces of wood he wants to craft into planks...

There must be a real, unique use for some sort of sawmill machine, otherwise it's too pointless to implement.

• Possible, but there's a slight flaw: When do you even need wood for the planks? Afaik 90% of all chopped wood is used for charcoal either way. And i don't think one would create a machine for the few pieces of wood he wants to craft into planks...

There must be a real, unique use for some sort of sawmill machine, otherwise it's too pointless to implement.

From wiki on Pyrolysis

A Pyrolysis Chamber could use electricity to burn wood-based items and make charcoal, so Planks, Logs, whatever could be turned into a larger output of Charcoal than basic burning of logs in a furnace. I'm not sure if 2x rate would be too high versus a traditional furnace, but any increased output works.

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• Also,... If we make some other things that use wood, it could be a profitable machine.

Right now, im thinking about multi-passenger boats (with an engine or fuel motor), or also furniture (cause there is no furniture yet).

• Official Post

Also,... If we make some other things that use wood, it could be a profitable machine.

Right now, im thinking about multi-passenger boats (with an engine or fuel motor), or also furniture (cause there is no furniture yet).

@Multi-Passenger Boat, this would be a whole new direction, code-wise, and would thus consume loads of time.
    @Furniture: Not in any relation to IC²

• Well,... there is some multi passenger vehicles mods around. Maybe it could be posible to decompile them and see what they are made of.
    About the furniture,... Yeah, I know that there is nothing made of wood that could need it, and furniture its not in the "IC" spectre. But if only something could need some wood parts (in vehicles you can use many of them, like sits, stairs, chests, and so, for making more parts)...

"Flan" (a modder) have made planes and cars. One of the planes, and the cars, have space for 2 passengers and an own inventory. Maybe a boat with IC pieces could be near, I guess, using that models (and codes) as a base.

• Afaik 90% of all chopped wood is used for charcoal either way. And i don't think one would create a machine for the few pieces of wood he wants to craft into planks...

Unless you want to build a wooden house, fence up a large area, make a stack of ladders for a mine shaft, etc.. I guess it depends on your play style, but sometimes you do need a lot of planks. At least in the early game. (So it would make sense for the sawmill to be a cheap machine, one you could build in the first few days.)

The sawmill could also be used to turn rubber tree wood into resin so you get more rubber out of it than if you just extract it as-is.
    Or turn blocks into slabs (more efficiently). Also maybe something silly like split glass into glass panes, metal into uninsulated cables, TNT into dynamites. :P

• I agree with Rowy. Also,... the wood its the only renovable resource. If you spend all the stone,... In a server made for a long term game, someday you are gonna need to go far for stone, and all below the ground will be a hollow place. Also you destro the beautyness of the map. But with wood, you can build foerever without touching too much the landscape. And 10 wood blocks are in a normal way 40 wooden planks.

In IC you can use matter to create stone or whatever. Anyway, it eats stars in the process.

• I agree with Rowy. Also,... the wood its the only renovable resource. If you spend all the stone,... In a server made for a long term game, someday you are gonna need to go far for stone, and all below the ground will be a hollow place. Also you destro the beautyness of the map. But with wood, you can build foerever without touching too much the landscape. And 10 wood blocks are in a normal way 40 wooden planks.

In IC you can use matter to create stone or whatever. Anyway, it eats stars in the process.

Cobblestone generators (and a furnace if you want smooth stone)? I don't think you'll run out of lava and water(!).

Please, correct my English.

• UH UH got an idea for the use.

After reading this my mind couldn't rest, cause I liked the idea.

I found 2 uses, the sawmill coul chop trees in a certain area around it and place the logs in a chest, and/or could chop planks into sawdust, which could be compressed into compressed plant balls or burned directly in a generator.

• if you could turn a log into 6 wooden planks, you could burn those in a genorator and get more energy than if you burned the logs into charcoal and used that.
    charcoal=4k EU
    1plank=750 EU (6planks=4.5k EU)
    and, when making charcoal, you have to supply your furnace with fuel or EU(electric furnace and induction furnace)

• Alright, sorry i disappeared for a while there but now im back with the masterplan about this. MinecraftNotch
    I feel like wood can be a very interesting and useful ressource in the future, it could be compressed to higher tier wood plank types so its not too easy to have a lot of it, also this would lead to a more versatile gameplay: mining wouldnt be the only thing you have to do in order to get all the machinery. Doing the same thing all the time gets dull after a while MinecraftChicken , so this would bring new light into IC2 i feel.
    Also i kind of liked Bierhamster's idea of automatic wood gathering, only instead of chopping wood in an area i though of something like a plantation-ish machine that accepts saplings as a ressource, takes energy (,maybe light?, maybe water?) and depending on what u want to program it like, alblaka, it could either just output some wood (or rubberwood, if it was that sort of sapling) or actually grow a tree above itself and then actually harvest the tree. i like the first idea better though.
    On another note, to alblakas criticism against the need of larger amounts of wood: in real world usage, wood is a very useful building component and has good insulating properties, i think there is a lot u can adjust with wood ingredients in recipes for balance and new possibilities for wooden machinery are endless.
    I feel like nobody's gonna read this whole lot of text if i continue so im gonna stop here : D

• Alright, sorry i disappeared for a while there but now im back with the masterplan about this. MinecraftNotch
    I feel like wood can be a very interesting and useful ressource in the future, it could be compressed to higher tier wood plank types so its not too easy to have a lot of it, also this would lead to a more versatile gameplay: mining wouldnt be the only thing you have to do in order to get all the machinery. Doing the same thing all the time gets dull after a while MinecraftChicken , so this would bring new light into IC2 i feel.
    Also i kind of liked Bierhamster's idea of automatic wood gathering, only instead of chopping wood in an area i though of something like a plantation-ish machine that accepts saplings as a ressource, takes energy (,maybe light?, maybe water?) and depending on what u want to program it like, alblaka, it could either just output some wood (or rubberwood, if it was that sort of sapling) or actually grow a tree above itself and then actually harvest the tree. i like the first idea better though.
    On another note, to alblakas criticism against the need of larger amounts of wood: in real world usage, wood is a very useful building component and has good insulating properties, i think there is a lot u can adjust with wood ingredients in recipes for balance and new possibilities for wooden machinery are endless.
    I feel like nobody's gonna read this whole lot of text if i continue so im gonna stop here : D

Playing BC/IC2, I can't see the argument that Wood goes unused for the most part.

I am burning through so much lumber it isn't even funny.. Batboxes are a vital part of my hierarchical power storage and its costing me a lot of wood, pistons cost wood, redstone engines cost wood, structures are built from wood, Logs become Charcoal used to power Stone Engines or such.

I mean there's more than enough uses to warrant something that increases lumber output. I'd love to establish proper Sawmills and such.

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• ...right? so all i need is some kind of confirmation for me to start thinking this through and maybe design some recipes and such, can i have all ur guys participation on this one? give me ur aye or nay, ill make this a poll!

• Industrialcraft Lumber Industry Items:

Harvester
    When receiving power will cut down nearby trees automatically around it, spits out Saplings/Logs/Rubber or if a chest is placed next to them will place the stuff in a chest. Effectively a Miner for trees. Could add a scanner of some sort to increase its radius possibly.

Planter
    When powered and recieves a redstone input, will place a sapling from its storage on top of the dirt block above it.

Fertilizer
    Constantly fertilizes around it in an area using Bonemeal stashed inside, requires power and will fertilize when it receives redstone input.

Sawmill
    When logs are inserted into the device and it is powered, will turn every Log into 8 Wood. Effectively a Macerator for Wood. Could also output a second resource called Wood Pulp into a bottom slot, Wood Pulp is turned into Paper at a crafting bench.

Pyrolysis Chamber
    Turns each log into two Charcoal or Wood Pulp into one Charcoal when powered. (Carbon Fibers are made by Pyrolysis too btw)

This would allow properly automated logging systems from tree to production, allowing us to multiply our board and charcoal outputs (similar to how we can multiply our ore outputs) using modern machines. The Harvester/Fertilizer/Planter combo would allow tree farms to be created, autoharvest, and fed into Sawmills/Pyrolysis Chambers for the creation of Charcoal and Lumber for use. It would add a full new industry to Industrialcraft, one that's been relatively untouched by IC so far.