[Addon v1.95]Rocket Science v0.89 - flying autominers, missiles, and nuclear fusion!

• Official Post

Deathbyfire: The most likely culprit looks to be TMI, but I would need a full list of all mods, including the ones in the actual JAR, to be sure.

Tibbs: Depends on my schedule. I'm in grad school and so don't have much free time - I was only able to release it this weekend because I was home sick from the lab. Next release should be before the full version of Minecraft, though.

DarkClown: Extract the JAR file from the attached ZIP. This forum doesn't allow the naked JAR to be uploaded, only zips.

Riffy: SMP support is coming in version 1.0. If there's enough interest, I suppose I could make it SMP-compatible before I finish the moon dimension.

Mensrea: Vanilla IC2's tesla coil can already target players - I don't think my missile defense lasers need to repeat this functionality. (But yes, solar panels will work better on the moon)

• I agree, 32 coal, half a gold ore and a redstone are a little too cheap for them, maybe make them use a diamond, or better yet, diamond dust. Epic mod though, this is so going into my game:D

I Disagree, think about the fact that this is the cost for one cable block. consider how many you would have to place for it to be worth it!

• SMP support even of what you have right now would be amazing, especially with regards to the nuke ICBMs. Also, you mentioned disabling redstone launching of passenger rockets; for SMP wouldn't it make more sense to be able to launch empty passenger rockets, for example if you want to maintain a balance of rockets between spaceports?

• Can you add a config option to disable the fusion reactor and superconducting cable? Because both are, in my opinion, more imba than the quantumsuit. The fusion reactor is CHEAPER than a 6 chamber nuclear reactor, and the superconducting cable is WAAY cheaper than glass fiber cable, and is more energy efficient. Perhaps replace the redstone with an energy crystal, and make it create 3? That way, it won't be super-imba. Or you could have it's max energy carrying capacity be 32 eu/t. Also, for fission reactors, replace the 8 reactor chambers with 8 reactors. Reactors are over 2x as expensive, so it'll make it more balanced.

It has become a little stubbly. Implement facial hair growth in IC²? Vision continuously grows more furry until you shave. (approx once every 2 minecraft days ;P)

Steve shaves with his chainsaw.
    Check out Factorio- A game where you build a factory from scratch.

• Can you add a config option to disable the fusion reactor and superconducting cable? Because both are, in my opinion, more imba than the quantumsuit. The fusion reactor is CHEAPER than a 6 chamber nuclear reactor, and the superconducting cable is WAAY cheaper than glass fiber cable, and is more energy efficient.

Even if it is cheaper than a 6 chamber reactor it only produces 20 eu/t! (Don't even think about a superconductor coil it's ridiculous as it costs 8 full stacks of coal and a full stack of gold!) 20 eu/t! You can easily build a 0 chamber nuclear reactor that outputs 40eu/t and it totally stable! The fact is a 6 chamber reactor is a poor comparison to most things because it's a dramatically ineffecient way of doing things. Consider that this reactor produces only as much a 40 solars while requiring significant maintenance and you should see that it's dramatically underpowered for it's price and complexity. In fact I think most people would be better off with a tree farm and 4 generators. For the superconductor the price is not really much cheaper considering that it requires gold and 8 coal and only produces one cable vs glass fiber requiring a diamond and producing 4. Glass fiber is practically superconducting anyway as losing 1 Eu /20 blocks rarely ever matters.

• I understand :) . Keep up the good work!

• Suggestion : Boost the fusion generator to burn it's fuel at a significantly higher rate. Up it to 60 eu/t with copper and 100 eu/t with superconductor and let it burn though 3 cells at a time (so the burn time is the same). Then building a fusion reactor would be a worthy goal and a worthy T3/4 level generator. To compensate you could make the fusion generator more expensive. Instead of a adv machine at the center maybe have a fusion core that requires iridium maybe something like:
    IAI
    ILI
    IAI

I = iridium
    L = lapatron
    A = Advanced machine block

As it is I don't see any reason that I would build a fusion reactor given it's cost and complexity considering it only outputs as much as 4 basic generators and a simple 0 chamber reactor can produce double it's output.

• No my game doesn´t crash, the content simply doesn´t apear in the game.

Yes this is the same for me.. But it crashed my game so I found the config file in the config folder and changed the IDs, so now it does not load nor it crashes my game.

We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.

• Crazy Amazing! Probably going to feature this in my 'Let's Play' once I can get my PC hooked up and online again. Truly nice work!

A few things:
    1. I'm guessing rockets are 1-time use only? (if not, then what's the means to refuel them?)

2. (Off-topic, since I covered this in class today, lol) what's the reasoning about using heavier Hydrogen for Fusion? Is it the instability of the nucleus to circumvent the Weak/Electromagnetic forces, or something else entirely?

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• 2. (Off-topic, since I covered this in class today, lol) what's the reasoning about using heavier Hydrogen for Fusion? Is it the instability of the nucleus to circumvent the Weak/Electromagnetic forces, or something else entirely?

It has to do with the most efficient fusion pathway, what's referred to as the D-T (Deuterium-Tritium) fuel cycle.
    Deuterium-2 + Tritium-3 ---> Helium-4 +n

Where the 2 neutrons in the deuterium and the 3 in the tritium together constitute the 4 in the resultant helium atom plus a free neutron. It is this free neutron that then reacts with lithium in the D-T design to produce power in the
    n + Lithium-6 ---> Tritium-3 + Helium-4
    pathway.
    When encountering Lithium-7, the
    n + Lithium-7 ---> Tritium-3 + Helium-4 + n
    pathway occurs, which fails to produce energy, but repopulates the reaction with neutrons, thus helping it continue, so a D-T reactor would contain both isotopes of Lithium.

so tl; dr: The number of neutrons is important. You can also less efficiently use Deuterium-2 + Deuterium-2 in the D-D fuel cycle.
    I think there was some fusion pathway that uses vanilla hydrogen to combine with a heavier element to reduce neuton production (because energetic neutrons will cook your face) but I forget.

On topic: This looks fucking awesome, please continue this.

Edit: oooh, I just noticed this is a legit D-D reactor. Very cool.
    Do D-cells stack? I assume not, it seems like kind of a pain in the ass to refuel and reignite the thing every 300k EU.
    But I guess Tritium will fix that yes? Oh but it has fuel storage I see now.
    I'm a schoolgirl with candy up in this bitch! I can't wait to make this Millenaire village smell like victory.

• If you really dont have that much time, then I would strongly advise against Creating a new dimension from scratch
    otherwise this looks awesome And I am looking forward to fleshing out of the features/more features

• My group of 9 players on my server all agree we want this, and will take it in any format you offer. Hell use us to test it if you want, what's the worst we can do to the server right? Mostly the idea of travle by rockets and the reactor are both big draws, I just want to firebomb a village. The moon would be awesome but we can live without it, use these rockets to move stuff and build up in the sky. :thumbup: Be my personal hero :thumbup:

• So when you boost the power output of your reactor with tritium is the amount you lose from the copper coil going to increase? Otherwise I see no reason to trade 8 stacks of coal for 10eu/t.

• Just so your aware, i have the exact same problem as one of the above posters. I put the mod in, modloader loads it. it generates a file. it does NOT show up in my recipe book. Ive tried deleting other mods and changing the block ids to no avail.