[Addon 1.112] BuildCraft-IndustrialCraft Crossover Mod v2.0[SSP/SMP]

• All you need to do to make this run with 1.337 is to change the ID of the engine block in the config... It amazes me that people know how to post detailed bug reports with logs but can't catch the big warning in ModLoader.txt that clearly states

"ID 219 already assigned to BCIC2 crossover engine@luminator" <--- Not exactly that but to my best recollection. Took me 10 seconds to find and another 20 to fix in the BCIC2 crossover config file.

• It amazes me that people know how to post detailed bug reports with logs but can't catch the big warning in ModLoader.txt

It amazes me that you think that everyone would notice that and figure out what that means. There are a lot of things others can do that wouldn't be so easy for you - It "amazes me" that you wouldn't know how to setup a hemodialysis machine, cannulate a patient and provide a treatment. Hell, I've done it thousands of times.

It amazes me that someone can't open a bag of coffee and pick out which beans are from Africa, which ones from Central America and which ones from Asia... I mean, it's so damned simple! :rolleyes:

Though that wasn't necessarily the same issue as I was encountering (if there was an ID conflict, the game wouldn't crash while you're in a world - it simply wouldn't launch!), I'll give it a try - thanks for the advice, but not for the attitude.

[EDIT: Gave it a try and that seemed to work - I can't see how that would account for the NPEs I was getting, but then again I'm not a programmer. If I knew how to make mods, I wouldn't have to ask - but my skills lie elsewhere]

• Official Post

It is something like this: modloader.registerBlock(BlockID), if there is an ID conflict, BlockID is null. That's somewhat simplified, but it's the general idea.

• I don't know whether to call this a bug or not but when drawing power from cables, small electric engines don't go past blue heat but when running off battery I've seen them go up to green.

• Well, it's quite "advanced" stuff to be able to open and copy the text from a text file located in %appdata%\.minecraft named ModLoader.txt which requires you to know what it is and why people need to see it. Posting it on a forum inside both CODE and SPOILER tags instead of just saying "doesn't work".
    It is even more advanced to be able to install Modloader, ModloaderMP and Forge... Followed by Buildcraft, IC2 and this crossover mod as well as tons of other mods. (which is quite common)
    Yet, simple reading skills seems to have slipped them by?
    Sure, what is in ModLoader.txt looks like garbage to most people but problems are still clearly visible and reading over it anyone would (or should) have stumbled over the ID conflict.

I am aware that there are people who isn't as familiar with this stuff as me and i respect that but like i said... It still amazes me that they have gotten far enough to go through all that (modding and posting the error report correctly) and still misses something that is so clearly pointed out in the error report.
    Imagine if all you got in an error report was:

"NPR in aa.class at 0xFFFFE050"

Then i would understand why no-one would know what that means. Lucky for us then that Risu made the ModLoader.txt readable by humans.

• I am aware that there are people who isn't as familiar with this stuff as me and i respect that

That's my issue... you clearly don't "respect" that. I can agree with your frustration - people do need to read more carefully and exercise a little common sense! But we can be cool about it unless it's a chronic case.
    Basically, being a jerk about it doesn't get through to the people you're trying to "help", it only diminishes how others will perceive your contribution. Look at someone like FlowerChild from BTW, for instance - anything relevant he might have to say on issues is clouded by the way he speaks to and treats others.

Common sense is VERY important (and sadly, not very common) - but civility is equally important. I am assuming you are offering advice because you genuinely want to help others, not just to make yourself look important. If that's truly your goal, an attitude that can be seen as condescending and arrogant will actually get in the way of helping. If you turn someone off the matter entirely, they just won't bother - and then you've just wasted your time and effort.

You can be smarter than everyone and still be cool about it, you know. Take it from me. :P

• Official Post

Changed the name back to BCIC2crossover, it's still doing that...

Found the bug, fixed in next release. For now you can just destroy the engine and replace it, and not log off with anything inside the engine.

I don't think the cooling of steam engines has ever really been explained in detail - nothing on it in the Wiki, or even in the guide. Could you please elaborate?

For a steam engine, heat = energy stored in the engine. Thus, if you have something consuming the full output of the engine it does not overheat, if you don't it does overheat.

• Awesome, I'll go watch it! Sour stomach woke me up, this will keep me pleasantly occupied.

I love this add-on, it goes nicely hand-in-hand with PowerCrystals' Power Converters. The two should join forces and become the next D!

• It's looking good.
    Though the previous version was working fine for me in 1.337b, I still appreciate the update!
    (Now, I must see about dressing up the new textures for HD...)

• Official Post

It's looking good.
    Though the previous version was working fine for me in 1.337b, I still appreciate the update!
    (Now, I must see about dressing up the new textures for HD...)

Yeah, this is mostly adding features, only 1 bug fix. Just polishing up the code before I start working on the client side SMP stuff.

On the plus side, it no longer uses the BC texture file. And the oil, fuel, and water for the petro gen uses whatever texture pack you are using at the time. The down side: the petro gen textures are split into a few different files, because of how it renders (which I am still not entirely happy with, there should be bubbles when it is on, and for some reason I cannot get the water to be partially transparent.)

• I like the interesting look for the generator - kind of resembles a portable gasoline generator that one might use in the field or during a power outage. Maybe I'll go take a look at photos of those and see if I can make a texture that looks like that. Right now, it kind of reminds me of Wall-E.