[Idea] [Add-on Idea] Enclosed Wires (another way of looking at cable obfuscation)

• Idea would become obsolete with: Cable Obfuscator

Reason for idea:I like the luminator model for placing on walls/ceilings, but I also want to wire it up.

Description: One or a series of new cables that would function as 4x Refined Iron wires for purposes of capacity and EU-loss.

Recipe

SS = Smooth Stone
    BL = Blank
    4x = 4x Insulated Refined Iron wire

SS BL SS
    BL 4x BL
    SS BL SS

Special Properties

• Texture would be of the Smooth Stone.
    • Each of the six sides would have a wire terminal like a normal cable. Essentially, this block would be a larger 4x wire that looks like stone.
    • Luminators would place as the smaller texture, as if this block were normal smooth-stone.
    • The size of the terminals would be such that a luminator would completely cover it.

Other Notes:

I've seen threads about the cable covers, and it seemed to me to be related to the cable obfuscator. I put this idea forward as another way of looking at it in case the obfuscator is still presenting problems with the new wires. Of course, there could be equivalent wires for wood, cobblestone, perhaps even wool and CF. Or maybe even dirt for that low/high tech juxtaposition!

Thanks for Reading

• I actually have a better idea: Enable CF to have the ability to harden around wires, thus creating a level of 'blending' with the surrounding walls and reduce the level of 'gaps' that they have...

Could be neat, lol...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Official Post

Better if any wire could be inserted inside any block by shift clicking with wire on block.
    If you destroy the block it would drop only wire [or both block and wire]. The hidden wire would have the hardness of the block it is inserted.

And a new item:

Hidden Cable finder:
    It shows all hidden cables YOU placed while you hold it.

• Even better idea- talk to eloraam about making covers able to cover cables.

It has become a little stubbly. Implement facial hair growth in IC²? Vision continuously grows more furry until you shave. (approx once every 2 minecraft days ;P)

Steve shaves with his chainsaw.
    Check out Factorio- A game where you build a factory from scratch.

• Even better idea- talk to eloraam about making covers able to cover cables.

Even better idea - don't do that, because it would make IC2 depend on RedPower Core.

Disappointed with the bugs and nerfedness of AtomicStryker Corp's Advanced Machines, and the unupdatedness of Snyke's Enterprises?
    Need low-lag renewable power?
    Come to ImmTech Intragalactical this thread for free UUM!

Note: UUM may stand for Unnerfed Unbuggy Updated Machines and may not be actual UUM. The extra U was lost due to a bit error.
    Battery snot included.

Even better idea - don't do that, because it would make IC2 depend on RedPower Core.

Wait, they don't?
    Or, erm...You mean on corners or? I am using RP cause of redstone wires, lamps and covers for wires, but they were a good cover for IC wires too.

• Even better idea - don't do that, because it would make IC2 depend on RedPower Core.

No it wouldn't, you could easily just have a sub-addon for RP2 that would do it.

But I agree a base change of some sort would be nice in IC2.

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• No it wouldn't, you could easily just have a sub-addon for RP2 that would do it.

But I agree a base change of some sort would be nice in IC2.

yes it would, it's been stated multiple times it's not doable because it *would* make IC2 dependent on RP2 core. Not to mention the whole Eloraam doesn't want addons for her mod right now.

• yes it would, it's been stated multiple times it's not doable because it *would* make IC2 dependent on RP2 core. Not to mention the whole Eloraam doesn't want addons for her mod right now.

*sighs*

I'm saying if they did an addon for RP2 it would require both cores by default anyway, but unless you built the addon code directly into IC2 it wouldn't. Therefor if IC2 does its own system of cable obfuscation it would be fine, but if it allowed RP2's system it would more than likely require RP2 to run (however there are ways to where you can have the code disabled unless you're running both addons, but such methods are obnoxious and complicated).

Whether or not she wants addons doesn't necessarily mean its impossible to make one regardless. I'm sure the community could make one that allows her cable covers to work with IC2.

Regardless, its off topic, the idea of obfuscating cables is a good one. Implementing RP2 to do such is not. Using CF to cover cables is a very nice starting point.

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• Official Post

Obvious statement, IC cannot and willnot, from OUR side, use the RP Cover system. It's very well possible (and much easier to do) if someone (f.e. even Eloraam) creates some sort of addon which bases on RPs source and provides this feature to IC cables.

Currently i tinker with using the CF-Cable idea, it would require some minor coding effort and another blockID, though.

• Obvious statement, IC cannot and willnot, from OUR side, use the RP Cover system. It's very well possible (and much easier to do) if someone (f.e. even Eloraam) creates some sort of addon which bases on RPs source and provides this feature to IC cables.

Currently i tinker with using the CF-Cable idea, it would require some minor coding effort and another blockID, though.

Well hey now that next patch is compatible with BlockExtender is that such a bad thing ;)

• Obvious statement, IC cannot and willnot, from OUR side, use the RP Cover system. It's very well possible (and much easier to do) if someone (f.e. even Eloraam) creates some sort of addon which bases on RPs source and provides this feature to IC cables.

Wouldn't it require another blockID for each cable+CF combination? Or is there another tag in the NTB compound that could handle the different properties?

Heh, sorry for not making it more obvious that I wasn't suggesting the covers.

I hadn't played with the CF previously, but I've tried it since my original post, and I'm coming to like it. While I still like the idea of enclosing cables in smooth-stone and wood, I can get behind the CF-Cable idea too, although I would like to re-interate an earlier suggestion that the smaller form of the luminator be used when placed on the CF-Cable (the one used if placed on non-cables). I think it might better hide the fact that there is embedded wiring in the walls if it looks the same both ways.

• Just a quick input for the CF idea:

If someone lives inside a mountain or something
    (like I do..), then having the hardened CF blocks all over my ceiling leading to luminators would be pretty obvious because of the stark contrast between that and smooth stone. So use a special painter that paints block textures to paint the hardened CF blocks? Idk..