Information about crops

• I wanted to start learning the IC2 crop systems so i went to the wiki where i usually get my info. Found nothing useful except the recipe for the crop stix. Then i found this thread, good job gathering all this info. I may take this an write a wiki article using it to help people out if that's ok. Unless someone else was planning on doing it.

You are free to do so. However, I am still missing a lot of information I am not keen enough to add now.

• I can confirm terrawart only drops terrawarts, the normal consumable one. It doesnt heal hunger or add an effect.
    It has no special growing conditions, but the one i put down has 3 layers of dirt under it for max effect.
    It also grows very slowly.

I can also say terra wart looks identical to nether wart in its first stage, but its 2nd stage it goes blue and 3rd stage ready for harvesting.

EDIT:
    Since instead of double posting, I just got a really strange anomily with a friend. We was breeding crops, and a combo of a pumpkin+stickreed got a coffee. I thought it worked as the 2 tiers combined to get a tier of the total, or less. But stickreed IV and pumpkin I got tier V.. So how did it get a tier VII (coffee?)

• In 1.95 I kept getting terrawart, until I tried crossbreeding two of it (and when it started growing, I placed a soul sand block under its soil block) and got netherwart. I don't quite remember what stage of growth it was in, but I could have simply gotten lucky. I haven't gotten Terrawart in 1.97 yet.

• What crops should I crossbreed to get hops? I've gotten almost all the other discovered ones and have no idea where to start to get hops. What combinations have you guys found to work?

• Hi good people. I cannot for the life of me successfully crossbreed redwheat. Here is what I have so far:

I built a small hut that is enclosed and lit up with redstone torch. I have 4 sets of 2x2 set up in this way http://i.imgur.com/AImfS.jpg

The hut is enclosed, 6 blocks high). I have tried for ever, and I never ever crossbred redwheat.

I have a few ideas though:

1) I read somewhere on this forum that redwheat *may* need a direct view to the sky. Can someone confirm this?

2) I also read that, by "direct view", it means at least 8 blocks are clear above the redwheat. Also need confirmation.

3) I have tried removing the roof and tried crossbreeding at night. Now the problem with this is, my farm is wayyyy high up in the sky, and even if I remove the roof, the height limit of 256 is still only 7 blocks above the tilled earth, which *may* explain why crossbreeding at night doesn't work either. I'm not sure if this makes sense though.

I can confirm with 100% accuracy that the X blocks have a light level of 7 (the white squares in the image that forms the cross are actually redstone torches)

Any ideas will be immensely appreciated. Hopefully I don't have to tear down everything and move the farm 2 levels down!

• Hi good people. I cannot for the life of me successfully crossbreed redwheat. Here is what I have so far:

I built a small hut that is enclosed and lit up with redstone torch. I have 4 sets of 2x2 set up in this way http://i.imgur.com/AImfS.jpg

The hut is enclosed, 6 blocks high). I have tried for ever, and I never ever crossbred redwheat.

I have a few ideas though:

1) I read somewhere on this forum that redwheat *may* need a direct view to the sky. Can someone confirm this?

2) I also read that, by "direct view", it means at least 8 blocks are clear above the redwheat. Also need confirmation.

3) I have tried removing the roof and tried crossbreeding at night. Now the problem with this is, my farm is wayyyy high up in the sky, and even if I remove the roof, the height limit of 256 is still only 7 blocks above the tilled earth, which *may* explain why crossbreeding at night doesn't work either. I'm not sure if this makes sense though.

I can confirm with 100% accuracy that the X blocks have a light level of 7 (the white squares in the image that forms the cross are actually redstone torches)

Any ideas will be immensely appreciated. Hopefully I don't have to tear down everything and move the farm 2 levels down!

• I just found out that if a crop has Growth 25 (and presumably above), and Resistance is low (like less than 5), then weeds will start sprouting around the crop, and it will sprout even if it won't sprout under normal circumstances. For example, if the crop in question is beside another crop, and there are no other tilled earth or cropstick around, the other crop will turn to weed!!! If it is growing alone, it will turn all tilled earth around it (even those without cropsticks) to dirt with grass growing on it (the kind that drops wheat seeds). It's like the high growth crop is behaving like a weed itself, so be careful.

• I've done recently a lot of agriculture (with a bit of cheating, i.e. Black Hole Band and Swiftwolf from EE) and I found out, that for good GGR values it is best to cross low tier plants and then cross them with high tier plants. Pumpkins and Wheat work OK, Reeds grow fast, but have small seed drop ratio, I'd recommend wheat. Good way is to have low tier crossing next to high tier crossing, with for example one low tier plant common for both cross crops. This way my first Aurelia was 15 15 15, and in three crossing (which took a long time for Aurelia) it grew to 18 20 19 (about equal to pumpkin used in crossing). I haven't done experiments what does this values exactly mean, so I go for a high total ;).

I have also one question. I found out that neither Ferru, nor Aurelia need ores to appear for the first time after crossing, they just don't grow fully. Probably thanks to high GGR values I could harvest seeds. But I couldn't get Redwheat this way. My crossing grounds are well lit, does it prevent Redwheat from appearing, or only from reaching fully grown stage? Also, is it possible that low nutrition value can make high tier plant die? I think it happened to me when I put Aurelia outside of Cropmatron range, but I'm not 100 % sure. If this is true, I have to make automatic Cropmatron feeding system when I will finally stop my supervision (probably after getting 31 31 31 plants ;)).

• Is bugged, Venomilia can't reach it's last stage currently.

Is there a deeper problem than just a missing equal sign?

Code
    public boolean canGrow(TECrop crop)
    {
    return ((crop.size < 4) && (crop.getLightLevel() >= 12)) || (crop.size == 5);
    }

Shouldn't that be crop.size <= 4? Otherwise, at size 4 it is neither less than 4 nor equal to 5.

• Is there a deeper problem than just a missing equal sign?

Code
    public boolean canGrow(TECrop crop)
    {
    return ((crop.size < 4) && (crop.getLightLevel() >= 12)) || (crop.size == 5);
    }

Shouldn't that be crop.size <= 4? Otherwise, at size 4 it is neither less than 4 nor equal to 5.

That is probably it. Downside is will have to wait till 1.3 maybe 1.4 for it because IC does not do hot fixes.

Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Server .:Here:.
    Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Let's Play Series .:Here:.

• Wow this helped me alot thx for posting this...
    May i suggest a coal flower though?
    adn maby a super rare diamond flower with like resistance 0

Im cekropp and I approve this message.

• 1) I read somewhere on this forum that redwheat *may* need a direct view to the sky. Can someone confirm this?

My redwheat is growing perfectly well underground with one layer of air and three layers of dirt above it. Actually it's growing better than my above ground redwheat which only grows at night.

• Ok... well, this was really helpful, and now I'm growing like a pro(sorta), but recently when I crossbred some wheat, I got a plant that matches figure 19 on the second crop picture. Anyone know what it is? I'm afraid to harvest it because I'm not sure what It'll do or if it's even fully grown. Any help would be appreciated :)

• Interesting thing to note about Redwheat. Apparently, if you're really, really lucky, you can get it if your crops are outside. I'm guessing it's an instance of perfect timing with the sunrise/sunset, but I was trying to breed coffee beans outside my house and ended up with Redwheat.

An explosion followed by "uh-oh" is typically a really bad sign.

• This might already be known, but blackthorn can pretty much be bred from any to plants of the right tier. I got 2 wheat and 2 pumpkins to both cross blackthorn, and I imagine you can do that with other plants. I also crossed wheat and pumpkins from sugar cane...I thought that was weird XD.

• Scratch what I just said about Blackthorn (would edit but my post hasn't been approved yet) The flowers looked like Blackthorn (duh, what was I thinking, all flowers look the same in their early stages), but they were actually rose and cyazint. I think it's safe to say that Tier 1 and 2 flowers have a rare chance to be crossed by anything, and higher chance to be crossed by flowers.

• hey, i just bread redwheat from two normal wheats GGR were 3, 9, 1 and 4, 7, 0 in a 3 by 3 by 3 room with 1 water source in the middle and lit by a (normal) torch, guess i'm really lucky but just wanted to say it. I'm currently trying to get it crossbreeded but i'm not sure if it gets destroyed ifchange the current light level from redstone torch to sunlight anyone some information about this?
    greets halloduda

• hey, i just bread redwheat from two normal wheats

As well, lower-tier plants have trouble breeding into anything above their-tier+1

Redwheat - Tier VI
    Wheat - Tier I

Last I checked (Tier I + Tier I)+1 != Tier VI

Either you got extremely lucky, did not actually produce redwheat from two wheats, or we aren't understanding something about the current mechanics of agriculture.

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

Edited once, last by CrafterOfMines57 ().