Suggestion : Industrial Robot Enemies

• Official Post

Name:
    Killer Robots

Describtion:
    Basically a high tech form of enemy for the game. Something more than just creepers and zombies to kill with your new nanosaber or laser. Something that might have a mining laser or even be able to jump with a jet pack.

(this isn't final on what they have, could be overpowered, just giving out ideas)

Recipe:
    No recipe, it would just spawn during the day, kind of like aliens coming from space.

• Industriator III: Judgement Day? I like it. Could make it another game mode, you have a finite number of minecraft days until the day of reckoning. Then waves of highly advanced robots will start spawning. Only way to kill them is using IC² weaponry (tesla coils, nano sabers, mining lasers, etc.). A bit like a combination of M4D and IC.

• Not if you balance it right. I'd say enemies that can jump as high as a nanoboots-equipped person would are pretty scary and challenging, without being overpowered.

• Official Post

Gotta say, I love this idea. You don't have to make them terribly powerful to give a huge amount of extra atmostphere to the mod. If overpowered is an issue, why not add a configurable file for them to make them more or less powerful?

I don't think it's an immediate concern, but I believe it would add a great feel to the game. After all, skeletons and creepers arn't exactly an industrial era enemy. :)

• Maybe when robots are added, there can be a small chance that when you craft a robot, it will develop an AI and will try to attack you? Robots randomly spawning doesn't make much sense, does it. Unless factories are randomly generated in the world, of course.

Also, water = dead robot. If they do randomly spawn, you need some way of not being murdered night one.

• Robots would not naturally fit into the normal world of minecraft IMHO. The planet and the wildlife just doesnt support that idea. If he implemented travel to the moon via rockets or something like that he could easily implement them on the moon and make it an extremely hostile environment. You have to wear your quantum suit like a space suit because of the lack of a proper atmosphere. The robots would work perfectly for a situation like this. You can make it so that the robots drop some tech4 items(nanites?) and then you can add a few more mined items to the moon which would all be needed for tech4 items. If you didnt mine doing a little bit of restructuring you could make the t4 items things such as the teleporter and energy field generator. The matter generator would have to stay t3 as its needed for the quantum suit.
    Also, is it at all possible to make it so that the netherworld would be positioned below the normal world so to speak? By that I mean you would have to place the portal at the lower levels of the map and it would spawn you in to the upper levels of the netherworld... That would give it a more natural transition since the lower levels of the netherworld are all full of lava.
    These are all ideas to think on and implement with time as industrial craft grows. Yes I know i posted about more than robots =P

BTW you can EASILY! use a mod like this in your porfolio =P Its very complicated, well liked, and over time you have made it more sophisticated yet also more efficient. It reflects your knowledge of programming and your skill growth quite well IMHO. I know a guy that got a job as VP of a major corporation and his leading edge over the other people similar to him was that he stated that he owned and ran a corporation in EVE which had over 4000 active members and controlled a large portion of the industry in the game. Something like that teaches you management skills and jobs are recognizing game related accomplishments more and more lately.

Edit* Sorry just read in another thread that you dont want to add another dimension as its too much work. =( Although I still think this is a good area to stage an extremely hostile environment for people. You can even make lightning creepers naturally spawn there =P

• I don't think where they come from is such a big issue. After all, we're talking about minecraft here. Where anti-gravity is a frequent occurance and creepers have somehow managed to follow the basic laws of evolution and survived until now. :)

Touche.

There still is the issue that if they spawn in day, I don't want to see a robot with heat vision and nano sabres and god-knows-what when I only have a stone sword and a pork chop. They'd need to be pretty rare for it to be balanced.

• Killer robots sound great to me but what about making it so when a normal robot is struck by lightning it just begins going crazy instead of having them spawn randomly during the day.

• Official Post

Killer robots sound great to me but what about making it so when a normal robot is struck by lightning it just begins going crazy instead of having them spawn randomly during the day.

So far, in my whole playtime since implementation of weather, i've had 2 lightningstorms total. In neither a lightning ever struck any entity.

How big is the chance a lightning storm hitting one of the expensive, rare robots :3

• So far, in my whole playtime since implementation of weather, i've had 2 lightningstorms total. In neither a lightning ever struck any entity.

How big is the chance a lightning storm hitting one of the expensive, rare robots :3

Just as big as the chance of a lightning bolt hitting one of those green evil creatures.

• Official Post

Robots would not naturally fit into the normal world of minecraft IMHO.

Neither are nano suits and reactors. :) But I do like your idea but would rather not get another worthless nether, just add more to the normal world.

• Official Post

Agree with killerbeez on this one. While I absolutely love the idea of building a rocket to the moon, this is a game at the end of the day and whether a robot fits into the natural environment or not isn't really a gamekilling issue. I think rarespawn would be great, possibly dropping iron dust or wiring when killed. Maybe not making them hostile until you get close to them would work. Would give you a damn good reason to make use of the forcefields. :D

• The basic idea is to make "Industrial based" mob ?

- It is possible to make a mob which would only attack you when you are using a IC electric based tool (and only when you do, other wise it stay static) ?
    - or a perfectly inoffensive beast who just "suck" energy out off cable ? That would force you to install them underground but maybe killing those beast will give you interesting objects.
    - or else to avoid creating a mob at all : Something like "do not put mushroom around a cable or it will suck energy Luminator." With maybe the damn thing transforming into something that can be farmed.

• Well the point of the other dimension i was talking about would be more of a pure desperate survival rather than building cool stuff. It would be something that would force you to need all these awesome items for combat. Early game the current mobs are fine but once you get your quantum suit you wanna put it to good use! There must be some way of making a challenging area other than making a huge cave in the dark where tons of easy mobs spawn but over time you will get nibbled to death... Wheres the fun in that! =P
    So just wanna brainstorm on what would be feasible for an extremely hostile environment.

<snickers evilly> make the robots heal like you do on peaceful mode =P cant play hit and run that way whahaha

• The first problem is that you already have several mod for Survival and frankly, IC is hard enough. (And I say that while using 2 Giant Buildcraft Quarry which give me insane amount of resource)
    Another problem is how you determine a which point the player is industrialized enough to introduce things like GREY GOO !!! (self-replicating block only killable by water)
    I'm already planing to industrialize a little and then install "Solar Apocalypse" + some Lovecraftian's monster so I don't want to sleep EVER.

I'm ok for IC-mob which doesn't appear in peaceful mod or even IC "Plant" which serve for something else, I'm even ok for a Portal to the Moon things, but getting mob so powerful that you need to actually add weapons before you get the nano-armor ? I can't say I'm a fan.

• I like the idea of a robot mob but I would only support the idea if the robots would be some sort of boss mod hiding out in a specialized dungeon. This would enable there to be a formidable foe compared to the nanosuit without a bunch of robots running around the minecraft world. It would also be a good addition to go along with the adventure update.