Suggestion : Industrial Robot Enemies

• Does this remind anyone of Rise of the Automatons. I'm not complaining, that mod looks awesome and looks to be a perfect mod to go with industrial craft. Though there are supposed to be remnants of ancient tech, I view it more as these are pods of a seeder ship. Meaning that the biomes from RotA are more of terraforming infections of Tech-Life. See this is where I could see the wild machines coming from, as there are a several machines that are neutral, hostile and passive. They are just existing and view you as an invader, so you have a reason to build up and fend them off. Otherwise the normal mobs are pathetic once you get the chainsaw and bronze gear., let alone mining laser etc.

• I think this is a good idea, but could use something more in it. Robots spawn at a 'factory' block that is generated on top of exposed stone and gather resources in an adjacent safe. Approaching the factory or safe turns the robots hostile. Eventually, they'll have a decent sized quarry, but resources will be expended by them as they are collected, so if you want to steal them, you need to make a move sooner or later.

Needlessly complex stuff, but for the sake of depth, and hell, it's fun to type:
    When a resource type is consumed in X quantity, it modifies their behavior.

• Coal makes them work and progress faster or more efficiently, may also increase endurance assuming they start building nano stuff.
    • Copper(?).
    • Iron increases their numbers or even adds a second type of bot.
    • Tin makes them move faster because it's a lighter metal and building material(Albeit flammable ;)).
    • Gold would expand their control area and hostility range or something.
    • Redstone and Lapas +1 to tech tier(totals in +2 if/when they get both).
    • Diamond makes them immune to fire/lava.

Allowing myself to stretch into the far fetched: They get obsidian and construct a nethermine that somehow collects materials from the nether. If you enter the same region in the nether you might notice a flying drone carrying blocks similar to endermen, but to a hub that ports it back. This gives access to glowstone which, well, that just makes them a bigger threat, and by this time, they've finished their development and switch to extermination mode.

Eventually, probably once they reach the copper phase, they start building defenses or barricading the factory and safe by building walls in a symmetrical pattern.

If you manage to break the factory you get a basic machine or a fresh advanced machine block. Looting the safe is its own reward, but never gives more than raw materials.
    If any robots remain, they may rebuild the factory assuming they still have the resources.

Take or leave any of it, I'm not married to the ideas here, its your mod, and it would probably take a dedicated team to do this. But I think IC² could use something that actually makes all the fancy equipment worth it. As is, I do fine against the standard mobs already, so I don't see much benefit to spending resources on fancy weapons other than the chainsaw. And the same ol' same ol' just isn't cutting it for me anymore, as I'm sure Killerbeez agrees on that point.

• Love the idea, but I think it would be very hard to code. The Idea of robots collecting resources on their own could also be hard on your CPU, dragging peoples frame rate down. I personally like the Idea of a chamber of robots lying dormant created by a lost civilization (similar to the bosses in the Aether) better from a code feasibility standpoint, but if someone was able to code your Idea i would go for it 100%.

• +1 to the idea, Though the CPU usage would definitely kill alot of peoples computers =/

• See I'm one who thinks minecraft isn't hard enough.

Agreed, and while the lightning idea isn't half bad...

What if nuclear reactors have the possibility to mutate creatures that wandered too close into some horrible...thing...

EDIT: At the massive idea mentioned above, perhaps we should see what 1.8 villages do, and base the robots off of that?

• Agreed, and while the lightning idea isn't half bad...

What if nuclear reactors have the possibility to mutate creatures that wandered too close into some horrible...thing...

EDIT: At the massive idea mentioned above, perhaps we should see what 1.8 villages do, and base the robots off of that?

Maybe the robots could "take over" the villages?

• EDIT: At the massive idea mentioned above, perhaps we should see what 1.8 villages do, and base the robots off of that?

Maybe the robots could "take over" the villages?

Something like that's how I started formulating the idea, but I agree. Limiting to the extent of the village capabilities, maybe only changing one or two things, would be a good idea.

• Something like that's how I started formulating the idea, but I agree. Limiting to the extent of the village capabilities, maybe only changing one or two things, would be a good idea.

maybe the viligers build the robots and take you over? (just a thought)

• Official Post

Maybe leave the more 'advanced' ideas of the enemies for the programmable robots he plans to add. These things just need to be out to kill you with great rewards for killing. I don't see why they couldn't have a trigger to spawn until after a specific tier of weapon/armor is crafted.

• I think there should be a combo of robots that spawn when they sense the the technology that could potentially harm them and boss dungeons similar to the aether.

• Well, my idea was that they'd somehow develop along side players, because as previously stated, you don't want to get ganked at the beginning. And I'm not sure if there's a way for mob spawns to be limited by what's in your inventory. Maybe depends on an achievement system? But those can break easily, as I've seen every time I start a fresh .jar.

• Well, my idea was that they'd somehow develop along side players, because as previously stated, you don't want to get ganked at the beginning. And I'm not sure if there's a way for mob spawns to be limited by what's in your inventory. Maybe depends on an achievement system? But those can break easily, as I've seen every time I start a fresh .jar.

It would be cool (I think), they spawn when you first time teleport or gain UU-matter. It's like hole in.. matter or time... dunno =)

Yep, I am from Russia, and yep, my english isn't good enough...
    So if.. if you dare to laugh of me, I.. I will find you and destroy with all our Soviet nuclear bombs, bwahahaha!
    Naah, I'm just kidding ^^ ... not. :|

• On a similar note, how that we have craftable companions like Snow Golems, is there any possibility of being able to craft our own robotic companions?

• How about an alternate version of slimes, that will, if they find power lines, absorb power from them when in contact (being healed and growing instead of taking zap damage)
    Also, If the wires are insulated, they would slowly remove the rubber to get at the energy.
    They would also act as a connection so as to make power be sent, even if the object on the other end is full

This is loosely based off of slimy slugs from Lego rock raiders, which tended to drain the energy out of your energy crystals given the chance to do so.

Another idea is to have chunks somehow keep track of energy being generated/used, and cause mobs in that and surrounding chunks to be more power in various ways. (due to the energy/sound emissions or whatever)
    Similarly this effect could be used to spawn those more advanced enemies, especially considering how much energy your Mass fabricator/Teleporter uses.