Suggestion: Late game substitute for solar-panels: Satellites.

• Official Post

Satellite, a Tier4 generator using the most advanced solar panels and it can transfer energy generated by those panels to earth.
    It needs to be launched to space using a propeller which i have no idea what it could be at the moment.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-based_solar_power

It would send special electromagnetic waves to a "receiver" and it transform that into pure energy.
    The receiver should be able to receive energy from one or more satellites launched by the player.
    Receiver MUST be at height above 128 and have NO obstructions above and in a surrounding area of 201xYx201, it checks the same way as wind mill does, and solar for sky.
    [any obstruction = 0 energy produced]

OR

*A satellite could be illuminated over 99% of the time, and be in Earth's shadow on only 75 minutes per night at the spring and fall equinoxes.[29]

Each antenna can link up to any amount of satellites. not exceeding a production of 1800 EU/t
    Unless you make receiver send packets of 900 per tick then any number of satellites could be linked to it.

Edit: the player could build multiple receivers and the satellite can be redirected to a different receiver depending on energy demand in the Energy net.

Side idea: Steve be able to make a rocket to go the moon, a new "dimension". Where he has the objective to make the moon able to host life.
    Launching stuff to space from moon is much easier due moon having much lower gravity than earth.

• Eh, you know the real end game substitute for Solar panels is the nuclear reactor.

And how do you expenct to send the energy from the satellite to earth? assuming if we go by logic that the satellite must be in space... or at least pretty much f**king high up.

Also Solar arrays its even less stupid than this quite honestly, no need to make it overly complicated >.>

One last thing, Logic says i dont have enough arms to make enough facepalms at the only 1 eu/t lost in the transmition... I mean do you know how much distance is there above the (Ozone thingy forgot the english name lol) to sea level?

(If my message have too much bitching in it, its because i have 24 hrs+ awake, that kind of thing gets your mood pretty sour)

• Official Post

Eh, you know the real end game substitute for Solar panels is the nuclear reactor.

1: Substitute for massive arrays of solar panels, and it is not everybody that likes dealing with reactors.

And how do you expenct to send the energy from the satellite to earth? assuming if we go by logic that the satellite must be in space... or at least pretty much f**king high up.

2: Sending electromagnetic waves that has a behavior nearly equal to light, except for carrying MUCH more energy.

Also Solar arrays its even less stupid than this quite honestly, no need to make it overly complicated >.>

Tier4 - kinda futuristic, not needed to be complicated, just expensive.

One last thing, Logic says i dont have enough arms to make enough facepalms at the only 1 eu/t lost in the transmition... I mean do you know how much distance is there above the (Ozone thingy forgot the english name lol) to sea level?

Light (electromagnetic wave) travels good while in those gases without almost any loss of energy.
    And, light can travel forever in space until it reaches a planet or something.

Sun -> Ultraviolet waves ->Solar satellite -> Special waves¹ -> receiver² -> energy to cable.
    its kinda same as
    Sun -> Ultraviolet waves -> Solar panels³ -> energy to cable
    except for ¹ and ² being slightly futuristic and ³ occuping space in earth and consuming CPU due E.net calculations

• 1; Nuclear its the substitute that Alblaka chose, but people dont like things they actually have to properly maintain so they would rather keep building solar generators without giving a fuck about their server health.

2: im gonna wait for someone more tech savvy to tell you how Electromagnetic "Rays" are illogical/impossible or not.

• Official Post

1; Nuclear its the substitute that Alblaka chose, but people dont like things they actually have to properly maintain so they would rather keep building solar generators without giving a fuck about their server health.

2: im gonna wait for someone more tech savvy to tell you how Electromagnetic "Rays" are illogical/impossible or not.

1: alternative substitute
    2: minecraft don't have to obey physics rules at all, thats why we have a dirt block "flying"

• 1; Nuclear its the substitute that Alblaka chose, but people dont like things they actually have to properly maintain so they would rather keep building solar generators without giving a fuck about their server health.

1: So IC2 end game is make a Nuclear Reactor... And that's it? No future? No advancements? Nothing else? Reactor, done?

2: Al already said no to EU teleportation, so the point is moot.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• Suggestion main idea is not EU teleportation, but an alternative for 512 tier1 solar panels.

changed end game to late game on main post.

Alblaka is/was already working on a solution for it, Keeping the Space requirement but lessening the burden on the CPU.

A single "Magic Block" creating and doing so much stuff, its stupid. And no, making it stupidly expensive doesnt compensate. But thats just my opinion i guess.

@ Troubs: How about no? (Dont want to make another post just to answer you.)

• have it work on a principle similar to a mining thingy(forgot the name)
    my point is, have the "satellite" go up, and in its trail it leaves a cable of your choice(copper, gold, fiber, etc..)
    and in the GUI, there will be a box where you can put your solar panels(more solar panel= more EU) that will be deployed

now seeing as how this thing will be in Pseudo-space, the panels shall run 24/7, but it compensates by having that energy loss(depending on cable)
    seems like a sound idea no?

[][][][][][]
    :Miner: <----Satellite, maximum altitude
    \|/[][][][]
    |
    |<-tether
    |
    |
    :MFS-Unit: [ground level]

• (If my message have too much bitching in it, its because i have 24 hrs+ awake, that kind of thing gets your mood pretty sour)

You must do this a lot because almost every post you make here is sour and derogatory.

Don't put people down for being creative or even for expressing ignorance. A 'stupid idea' might just turn out to be the seed for something wonderful. If people are repeatedly idiots then sure, bitch slap em. But like your momma said, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment or chain letter? This is left as an exercise for the reader.

Efficiency 3, 50% duty cycle. SMP friendly. Alternate two of them slowly with an rp2 sequencer for a steady 120 EU/t.
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1j10101001501521s1r11r10

• With that tether, you've effectively got a high powered wind generator :)
    Bug cpw about adding Compact Windmills to his Compact Solars mod!

GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment or chain letter? This is left as an exercise for the reader.

Efficiency 3, 50% duty cycle. SMP friendly. Alternate two of them slowly with an rp2 sequencer for a steady 120 EU/t.
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1j10101001501521s1r11r10

• In regards to the energy transportation, NASA is currently looking into a space elevator design (which will probably never happen) However, you beam energy to the module that goes up using a high intensity LASER. It then converts this beam into energy to continue on its way up the space elevator. The elevator is not a sound idea, however, the laser is an interesting concept.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• With that tether, you've effectively got a high powered wind generator :)
    Bug cpw about adding Compact Windmills to his Compact Solars mod!

I already asked if he had any intentions to do so- And he said no.

Good luck to anyone who wants to convince him otherwise.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• Official Post

That is a good Idea for Rocketscience-Addon.

But what about making Solarpanels more efficient in higher areas (like windmills), so if you put 'em onto top layer (after 1.2 it's 255) it produces 2 EU/t AND is not affected by weather (over the clouds) AND it is much less lagging than on sealevel (after 1.2 it's still 64).

And oh my nonexistent god, each solarpanel iterates to sky even after 1.2!!! That triples the amount of lag from a normalplaced Solarpanel!!! :cursing:

So what's about that?

• Science would state that you would need a ****ing powerful laser to actually transmit power from a sattelite to earth. Like maybe 80 mining lasers. And then you would lose a LOT more EU, you would probably lose ~50%. Also, Advanced Machines addon has compressed down solar arrays for higher tiers.

It has become a little stubbly. Implement facial hair growth in IC²? Vision continuously grows more furry until you shave. (approx once every 2 minecraft days ;P)

Steve shaves with his chainsaw.
    Check out Factorio- A game where you build a factory from scratch.

• Official Post

Science would state that you would need a ****ing powerful laser to actually transmit power from a sattelite to earth. Like maybe 80 mining lasers. And then you would lose a LOT more EU, you would probably lose ~50%. Also, Advanced Machines addon has compressed down solar arrays for higher tiers.

We have teleporters which are futuristic, why we can't "teleport" energy? [actually a powerful laser is possible to build, it is just extremely expensive]
    my idea is for core IC² (not that it can't be added to rocket science) and helps servers by reducing those tons of lagging solar panels into a few "invisible" satellites orbiting earth.

• We have teleporters which are futuristic, why we can't "teleport" energy? [actually a powerful laser is possible to build, it is just extremely expensive]
    my idea is for core IC² (not that it can't be added to rocket science) and helps servers by reducing those tons of lagging solar panels into a few "invisible" satellites orbiting earth.

Your satellite sending energy comsumption its absurdely low for the distance it theoritically have to cover to send that energy, Even teleporters consume a crapload of energy to send a naked steve over a short distance, imagine sending steve from Sea level to Space.

Its just not practical, logically speaking you will spend more energy sending it than making it.