How do you make ice effectively? (Without redpower)

• Hello,

Im having trouble making an effective ICE creator, for a future SUC reactor.

Im using Ic2, BC 1.12 and the crossover mod. I know it would be alot easier if i used redpower, but i dont really like how it has changed.

Ive tried various setups, and have one reactor working. But it's just so ineffective.. :)

This setup creates 330 eu/t and eats aprox. 1.1 ice/s, the whole cooling mechanism takes 260 eu/t to power...
    330-260=70
    70 eu/t..... Not very effective :)

I have tried making a minimal ice creator.
    This thing creates aprox, 0.25 ice/s and takes 40 eu/t to power.
    I would need 5 of these to cool a 330 eu/t reactor
    330-(5*40)=130
    130 eu/t.. better, but still very ineffective.

Any suggestions? :) Im thinking about giving advanced machines a try, but i dont really know if it would help me.

- Kasper

• I don't know much about reactors, but what I do know, is to replace the copper wire with diamond cable to prevent energy loss. This will help with reducing the energy need.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• I don't know much about reactors, but what I do know, is to replace the copper wire with diamond cable to prevent energy loss. This will help with reducing the energy need.

Yeah sure, reduced the cost from 40 to 35 :)

330-(35*5)=155 a little better, but you can achieve 110 eu/t using a 15 cycles mark II, which is MUCH cheaper to build.

• let me write something for you, yould find it in the edit

wel, this is the edit :D

i understand your problem, as suggested above cutting back on energy losses in cables wil help raise the effective EU, but at the cost of diamonds.

redpower is easy, true. but since u want ic only, il go with an advanced machine setup.

althou i am not sure about how to create the exact flow from pump - compressor. il go from the base point of the compressor.
    the singularity compressor... having this pupy up to max speed it wil churn out 1-2 ice blocks an second. effectively cutting alot on power consumption. since this compressor uses slightly more EU (not sure how many) but yields alot more ice.

wel, im tumbling in the dark without my redpower tweeks, il just suggest u use advanced machines for ice generation since it has an nice speed and cost effective ice production...

goodluck and i hope this helped some.

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• It... it has been born..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiZrCixr_bs

An Industrialcraft 2 monster!
    Mark II-E-SUC nuclear reactor creating 1770 EU/t!
    This bad boys cooling system consumes 980 eu/t leaving us with 790 eu/t

Build using the following mods:
    Industrialcraft 2 v1.71
    Buildcraft v2.2.12
    BCIC2 Crossover mod v1.24b

It works, but it is not very efficient nor is it CPU friendly :)
    I doubt it would function on a server.

I really enjoyed building that, but man is it intense. It wouldnt work in a non-creative mode environment...

Reactor planner
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…nn0usl16jecu0jekb8ggc0bi8

Im gonna give advanced machines a try now.

• umm..... i don't know what to say so umm..... i don't know whether to give you a pat on the back or rip your god damm head off for making monstrosity of lagging crap i am leaning towards ripping your head off 8)

It... it has been born..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiZrCixr_bs

An Industrialcraft 2 monster!
    Mark II-E-SUC nuclear reactor creating 1770 EU/t!
    This bad boys cooling system consumes 980 eu/t leaving us with 790 eu/t
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…nn0usl16jecu0jekb8ggc0bi8

Ignoring practicality, that's a pretty awesome setup.

If you want to work on reducing your cooling costs (energy-wise), I see you are using some overclockers. I believe the consensus is that while very useful, from a pure efficiency point of view, they are suck. You're been better off with a lot of compressors instead of overclocked ones.

• Ignoring practicality, that's a pretty awesome setup.

If you want to work on reducing your cooling costs (energy-wise), I see you are using some overclockers. I believe the consensus is that while very useful, from a pure efficiency point of view, they are suck. You're been better off with a lot of compressors instead of overclocked ones.

Not exactly there is a optimal amount of compressors and overclockers. Has to do with cost/eu output :).

• Not exactly there is a optimal amount of compressors and overclockers. Has to do with cost/eu output :).

Actually no, 0 overclockers gives the best pure EU/output ratio. Obviously in practice you are better off using some overclockers and loose efficiency instead of building a hundred or two compressors and lagging your game to death.

• I actually hate using ice CASUC cooling, purely because your real power eff and output are reduced by anything from 20-60%. I've got a 1740eu/t CASUC Mark 1 using 8 water buckets a second with RP2 tubes, using no EU to cool so I get that full 1740eu/t output. To me, ice cooling is basically for making a reactor do the most possible output in the same way hardcore overclockers use liquid nitrogen to cool rigs for exhibition and show. It's a pretty awesome feat, but not the most practical approach.

• To me, ice cooling is basically for making a reactor do the most possible output in the same way hardcore overclockers use liquid nitrogen to cool rigs for exhibition and show. It's a pretty awesome feat, but not the most practical approach.

Ice cooling can be pretty efficient if done with RP2 and some "free" source of snowballs (=snow men, or some other mod to generate them), i have currently a setup running on 45 U cells and cooled by 11 compressors with 7 overclockers each.
    The generator makes 1980 EU/t and wastes 594EU/t (30%) on cooling, lowering total efficiency to ~ 3.06
    Now 30% waste is bad, but you get effectively a 3.06 eff MK1 reactor, capable of giving out 1376EU/t, which is nothing to sneeze at, and better than any non CASUC setup will give you.

Now making the snowballs with compressors would lower that total efficiency to 1.75 and even lower as you need to power a bunch of pumps as well. At that point you are better off using a non-casuc setup.

• Ice cooling can be pretty efficient if done with RP2 and some "free" source of snowballs (=snow men, or some other mod to generate them), i have currently a setup running on 45 U cells and cooled by 11 compressors with 7 overclockers each.
    The generator makes 1980 EU/t and wastes 594EU/t (30%) on cooling, lowering total efficiency to ~ 3.06
    Now 30% waste is bad, but you get effectively a 3.06 eff MK1 reactor, capable of giving out 1376EU/t, which is nothing to sneeze at, and better than any non CASUC setup will give you.

Now making the snowballs with compressors would lower that total efficiency to 1.75 and even lower as you need to power a bunch of pumps as well. At that point you are better off using a non-casuc setup.

A 1980eu/t setup is pretty cool, but like you said, total eff is 3.06. I can make a RP2 water bucket CASUC setup to cool a reactor with 1740eu/t and 4.35eff. The major benefit of this is that there's no EU cost to cool it and my efficiency is exactly what it is. I guess if you're not using RP2 ice is a good way to go, otherwise you're just shooting yourself in the foot needlessly. I am OCD when it comes to wastage though, much to the amusement of the other players on my server who make memes about my OCD.

• 1980 is until now not possible to achieve... we must wait for the next version of IC2. there we can use 6 chamber CASUC's

i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• What is a casuc reactor?

continiously aplied singe use coolant, CASUC,

ceep pumping in coolants into ur reactor which are being used instantly :P

• here is what i do.

i put a snow man and myself trapped ontop of block completely surrended my obsidian pipes (from Buildcraft) being powered by redstone engines to vaccuum snowballs that don't touch the pipes, i then look at the ground with a Drill (not diamond to save EUs) or a bunch of stone shovels. i then use the shovel like a man man on the snow that the snowman instantly regenerates causing me to make thousands of snowballs in a very short ammount of time. i then have those obsidian pipes piped to 40compressors using fiber glass cables then pump into chests directly beside my reactors. i then have a "overflow" loping sytem of iceblocks that pump out about 8 iceblocks a second to the reactor and any iceblocks that don't get used simply come back to the ice-chest. this was the most cost efffective way i could find, also, as appealing as a 1,800+ reactor is you burn ALOT of ice that way, it is far more effective to make a 500EU/t reactor and use alot of coolant cells and heat dispensers to adsorb the majority of the heat, and use Ice merely as a stabalizer/backup. i find this the best use of the reactors, when i need more power i simply make more of this same setup. however my next idea has yet to been tested which is:

Idea #2, make 8-12 reactors and run them at around 500 EU/t, then make a redstone Clock systm that is take turns turning them on and off, basicaly a Vanilla MC Redstone clock using plain restone torches. this will cause the reactors to constantly fluctuate between Power and Cool-down mode. if i can set this up to make only 1 reactor run at a time and i have 12 reactors then i could set this up and have the powering in a cycle that would allow me to never need to introduce SUC or have a long cooldown period when they are all drained. furthermore, i could use this for a 800eu/t power source that would last alittle over 24 hours.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• here is what i do.

i put a snow man and myself trapped ontop of block completely surrended my obsidian pipes (from Buildcraft) being powered by redstone engines to vaccuum snowballs that don't touch the pipes, i then look at the ground with a Drill (not diamond to save EUs) or a bunch of stone shovels. i then use the shovel like a man man on the snow that the snowman instantly regenerates causing me to make thousands of snowballs in a very short ammount of time. i then have those obsidian pipes piped to 40compressors using fiber glass cables then pump into chests directly beside my reactors. i then have a "overflow" loping sytem of iceblocks that pump out about 8 iceblocks a second to the reactor and any iceblocks that don't get used simply come back to the ice-chest. this was the most cost efffective way i could find, also, as appealing as a 1,800+ reactor is you burn ALOT of ice that way, it is far more effective to make a 500EU/t reactor and use alot of coolant cells and heat dispensers to adsorb the majority of the heat, and use Ice merely as a stabalizer/backup. i find this the best use of the reactors, when i need more power i simply make more of this same setup. however my next idea has yet to been tested which is:

Idea #2, make 8-12 reactors and run them at around 500 EU/t, then make a redstone Clock systm that is take turns turning them on and off, basicaly a Vanilla MC Redstone clock using plain restone torches. this will cause the reactors to constantly fluctuate between Power and Cool-down mode. if i can set this up to make only 1 reactor run at a time and i have 12 reactors then i could set this up and have the powering in a cycle that would allow me to never need to introduce SUC or have a long cooldown period when they are all drained. furthermore, i could use this for a 800eu/t power source that would last alittle over 24 hours.

That would be terribly inefficient having to stand around shoveling snow all day manually. Redpower ftw IMO. And logistics pipes etc. Who wants to babysit a reactor all day? hehe

• Do snowman actually work for for you in 1.2.3?
    They don't seem to spawn snow around them anymore for me, even if i run with a vanilla jar. (and yeah i checked that i'm in the right biome, etc)

• Do snowman actually work for for you in 1.2.3?
    They don't seem to spawn ice around them anymore for me, even if i run with a vanilla jar. (and yeah i checked that i'm in the right biome, etc)

far as I know, snow golems never spawned ice, only snow coverings that you could use block breakers to get snowballs from to shove into a compressor to get ice with.