[Suggestion] Virtual Reality Goggles

• Name:
    Virtual Reality Goggles

What is it:
    a helmet that fits between quantum armor and nano armor on the tech scale. It would provide little armor, comparable in scale to jetpacks/batpacks, but provide extremely useful visuals. The helmet would allow you to:

-view a mini-map (the helmet maps the landscape around you, and displays a small map of the area around you)
    -place waypoints (finding that secret base entrance, marking diamond deposits that you just ran out of power to mine, etc)
    -toggle-able light for torch less exploration (in my head, it would have a similar effect that adjusting the lighting bar in the game settings, but make things even brighter)
    -highlight mobs (no more hidden spiders at night! no more sneaky creepers!)
    -highlight other players (probably useless)
    -highlight ores (probably useless)

• 1) Forge doesnt have Hooks to attach HUD into a Helmet (Yet, mostly because it isnt suggested or something)
    2) NO TO THE MOVING LIGHT, minecraft engine limitation that the IC2 Dev team WON'T solve.
    3) For making this, the IC2 dev team would actually have to make a map system for it, dunno if they are willing to do that.
    4) Highlight may or may not be possible, dont have much knowleadge of similar systems.

(Also before someone say something stupid like X-ray vision, NO)

• 1) Forge doesnt have Hooks to attach HUD into a Helmet (Yet, mostly because it isnt suggested or something)
    2) NO TO THE MOVING LIGHT, minecraft engine limitation that the IC2 Dev team WON'T solve.
    3) For making this, the IC2 dev team would actually have to make a map system for it, dunno if they are willing to do that.
    4) Highlight may or may not be possible, dont have much knowleadge of similar systems.

(Also before someone say something stupid like X-ray vision, NO)

Okay, that makes sense. For 2 though, I was already under the impression that moving light was impossible, but wouldn't it be possible to make the game brighter than what is available in the /options/video settings/ menu? And the HUD wouldn't necessarily need to be attached to the helmet, but more of a trigger that occurs when the player wears item x. Of coarse, I'm talking out of my ass here, but possibly useful? All of the features here only need to be viewable client side- the same way you can join a server with Rei's mini-maps and still see everything as intended by the mod even when nobody else has the mod installed.

• 1)Okay, that makes sense. For 2 though, I was already under the impression that moving light was impossible, but wouldn't it be possible to make the game brighter than what is available in the /options/video settings/ menu?

2)And the HUD wouldn't necessarily need to be attached to the helmet, but more of a trigger that occurs when the player wears item x.

3)Of coarse, I'm talking out of my ass here, but possibly useful?

1) I remember hearing al about doing that, but that also requires the same unexistant forge hook that i talked about.

2) Same thing, different wording.

3) Dont do that, inform yourself a little before "Talking out of your ass", that usually only accomplish making you look like a potato. (Stupid joke, nvm)

• the only thing that I think is possible with your suggestion is the highlight monsters. The monsters in the area will simply have their skin temporarily changed to red(like when they take damage)

• the only thing that I think is possible with your suggestion is the highlight monsters. The monsters in the area will simply have their skin temporarily changed to red(like when they take damage)

or make their skin show up as though it was under a lighting effect, like on Clay Soldiers Mod when you give them Glowstone Dust.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• actually! better idea!. how about a Virtual Reality Projection (VRP) block. that when powered and right-clicked would allow you to fly around like your in creative mode but your actual character would stay in place at the block. this way you could use this VRP could be used to explore tunnel systems of ravines.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• 1) I remember hearing al about doing that, but that also requires the same unexistant forge hook that i talked about.

2) Same thing, different wording.

3) Dont do that, inform yourself a little before "Talking out of your ass", that usually only accomplish making you look like a potato. (Stupid joke, nvm)

What do you mean with "same thing, different wording"?
    The helmet wouldn't actually light up the area, it would just make it look brighter for the person wearing the goggles. Like the brightness slider in the video settings menu.

The IC2 forums could really use a lot more of [REDACTED], [DATA EXPUNGED] and ████████.

I'm in a so called "after-school". It's freaking fantastic and nowhere near as boring as normal school!

• What do you mean with "same thing, different wording"?
    The helmet wouldn't actually light up the area, it would just make it look brighter for the person wearing the goggles. Like the brightness slider in the video settings menu.

The helmet CAN'T light the area because of limitations of the mc engine.

HUD tied to the helmet and trigger that occurs when player wears X item its basically the same shet. Read properly next time plox.

• The helmet CAN'T light the area because of limitations of the mc engine.

HUD tied to the helmet and trigger that occurs when player wears X item its basically the same shet. Read properly next time plox.

Says who? A client sided light is not that difficult to code, and as far as i know does not break any sort of limits.
    Go look at the dynamic lighting mod, its client sided. Client sided lighting of an area also exists in Zombe's mod pack.
    Really the only problem with this would be compatibility with other mods if you wanted to use it.

Mob highlighting is also very much possible, go look at Zombe's mod pack.

Also, the minimap thing has been done before. (possible merging between IC2 and a minimap mod?)
    If a minimap cannot be done, then perhaps a built in FPS style compass at the top of the screen?

Then, onto ore highlighting... I assume you didn't mean an actual x-ray type thing, but a thing that just points out to you that ore is there so that you don't miss it.

I think that the helmet should be able to be charged in an MFE, but it takes 1 million EU to fully charge it, as to power the various functions. You could also be able to turn certain functions off with a GUI so that you can preserve power (you want ore highlighting, but not increased brightness)

Just a few ideas, i like your idea, and maybe it will get added?

• I never said it cant be done, i just said that it cant be done right now without modifiying base clases (Im aware of Dynamic Lights).

IC2 Dev team wont make their own version of Dynamic Lights NOR will they add any item that depends of Dynamic Lights to properly funtion (As to avoid dependencies). IIRC Dynamic lights gives you a config file to add your own light items, so you can always add the Quantum helmet to that list.

• I never said it cant be done, i just said that it cant be done right now without modifiying base clases (Im aware of Dynamic Lights).

IC2 Dev team wont make their own version of Dynamic Lights NOR will they add any item that depends of Dynamic Lights to properly funtion (As to avoid dependencies). IIRC Dynamic lights gives you a config file to add your own light items, so you can always add the Quantum helmet to that list.

That is true, the main problem with this idea is practicality. He is better off having someone who makes addons make this for him, rather than the IC2 dev team.

• How about description pop up about block/item/mob in the targeting cross?
    Is it industrial enough?

kind of like a Targeting Tool-Tip like on most online MMOs when you select an NPC? that could be interesting, specially if you're able to see that in pitch black, then i could mine in the dark, lol, between that and F3 i'd be a mole... digging blind snatchin up all the resources. lol also maybe have it show exactly how many Hearts of HP are left on enemies, that would make it alot easier to aquire records.

• i really like this idea but i guess alot of coding(?)
    In this idea i imagine Rei's minimap (that part when you press some sort of button and it gives a huge map on your screen.) and SDK's from utility mod night vision goggles.
    :D

lol also maybe have it show exactly how many Hearts of HP are left on enemies, that would make it alot easier to aquire records.

oh man :D thats strange and interesting :D this helmet would requier pro advanced circuits and stuff like that :D this invencion would be big :D

Micro chips, scanners. oh man. would be awsom :D

• ... with bright text in different colors:
    - ore(contains " ore" in name;
    - garbage or ground (stone/dirt/sand/gravel);
    - nether ground;
    - lava;
    - water;
    - machine with some details possibly (IC2/BC/Forestry/RP2/other friendly mod);
    - container (chests/safes);
    - human (players);
    - aggressive mob;
    - passive mob;
    - plant (cactus/tree/flower/grass/mushroom/...);
    - artificial block (all bricks and unknown blocks which has recipe to make);
    Seems too many categories.

• That would be over powered. we just need nice industrial craft night vision goggles with highlighted mobs and map when you press button like from Rei's minimap :D (well that map idea would be long coding so i would preffer night vision with a little highlighted mobs like from SDK's utilitys night vision goggles)

EDIT: also i would implement light detector to show what light level is in that place. it really fits in this helmet/glasses

• actually! better idea!. how about a Virtual Reality Projection (VRP) block. that when powered and right-clicked would allow you to fly around like your in creative mode but your actual character would stay in place at the block. this way you could use this VRP could be used to explore tunnel systems of ravines.

That looks like a great idea for another mod, just not IC^2 style though.

• i believe they call that free cam and it is usually the tool of cinematographers, hackers, and griefers

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"