Suggestion : Renewable Energy Drawback and Server Efficiency Overhaul

• I'm suggesting the following changes to the way renewable energy works.

1. a. In order to make the drawbacks consistent, wind generators should continue to break their blades during storms, and there should be a small chance of this happening at any altitude.
    b. Solar panels should also wear out in some way. I suggest adding a GUI with a slot, and a visual indication of some type that a panel has gone bad. If a panel has gone bad, you open up the solar gui and install a replacement electronic circuit into the slot. The chance of a solar going bad should be higher in the harsh sunlight of a desert. The exact chance per hour of play should be very carefully tuned to be a drawback but not ridiculous.
    c. For the same reason, water generators should lose their blades like wind generators. Since water gens are cheap, their replacement blades only would cost wood.

2. I've heard that Al intends to implement a central "controller block" for solars and then add on panel blocks you click down to form an array. I suggest extending this idea :

The controller block should apply to ALL renewable energy. The tin wire should no longer be part of the normal wiring system, but ONLY suitable for connecting a renewable energy source to a single controller block. You should not be able to place tin wire anywhere but against a controller block or a piece of tin wire attached to a controller block. Cross connecting 2 controller blocks with tin would vaporize the wire. The tin wire would have associated with it the ID number assigned to the controller block (a data field set on initialization) Connecting a renewable energy source to the tin wire would register it with the associated controller block permanently.

Power would NOT flow in packets down the tin wires, instead, the controller block would simply keep track of how many wind/solar/water are attached to it, and simply supply the right amount of energy to the energy net every tick. So you could have 1000 solars and 1 controller block, and the only active tile entity is the controller block (the solars would be inert and not use OnTick at all in their code) which simply supplies one packet of 1000 EU every tick. The controller block would need to have in a slot like a slot for an overclocker enough transformer upgrades to handle the attached load, of course.

So a 1000 solar farm would cause as much tick lag in SMP as a single solar panel. For solars, this would be the same simulation speed advantage you get with compact solars, without the compact part, which is unrealistic and dumb. (because it removes the only drawback to solars at all, the low density)

• Or they could make nonrenewable energy sources better.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• Official Post

Worry free stuff is worry free.

Yes it is. I'm using Watergens to make energy out of my huge surplus of Tin (better then directly burning Coal). Right after i put a Bucket of Water in (to hotfix a bug), i'm throwing in a 64 Stack of Watercells and that is. You get two Watergenerators, which are producing 8000 EU at 4 EU/t per Tiningot i spent on these Cells. Thats better then wasting Coal or Wood in a Generator (Superfuel is an option for later).

And you described exactly what Al wanted to make with the Solars. I had an Antilagidea that makes every renewable Generator outputting in 5 EU-Packets instead of directly transferring their 1 EU-Packets.

• WHO DISTURBS MY SLUMBER!(rumble, rumble, rumble)YOU HAVE INCURRED THE WRATH OF THE NERF SLAYER!

making all these sources ware out inconvenient's everyone and solves nothing your basically having people slowly burn iron(valuable!) or wood so the resource is no longer renewable. if you kill off green energy people will not change they will just route around the damage (in the form of BC pumped netherpower(liquid transfer pipes= lag), and cobble gen scrap burners which have the worst lag to eu ratio of any power source) like how in the real world we have a responsibility to not spam oil all over the place and pollute the earth in industrialcraft we have a responsibility to be smart with green energy and not abuse it to create spam pollution.

your proposal for tin conflicts with my own suggestions and objectives so that is a no too. i want to see more uses for microvoltage. in fact this whole thing smells like a nerf if you want a nerf to fly you need to think of something cool to go with it

raa1337 is right if renewable were buffed there would be less need for spamming but if that is done we might as well remove the non renewable from the mod cause there would be no point(end of the day that is a bad idea). the best option is to play it smart until alblaka and the devs optimize green power and cut the lag. so have some faith in the maturity of your fellow players if used as intended most players wont need more than a dozen green gens tops and any extra needed can be covered by nuclear and finally don't force your masochistic ways on all of us if you want things harder for yourself then grab your self a normal generator, a detector cable, some redstone, a stack of tnt, and your imagination.

CLIFFNOTES: nerf green power and the lag will get worse as people use other worry free power to make up for it.

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Forgot to mention : RenewableEnergyDrawbacks = TRUE

In the ic2.config file. That feature is obvious. It would be on by default, but if you wanted to be a dirty cheater, you could set it to false.

Also a RenewableEnergyDrawbacksScaling = 10
    in the config file. It would default to 10, a bigger number means they break more often, a small number means less. (down to 0)

You can go back to lurking. Obviously, any controversial feature should be adjustable, adding the ability to do that is child's play.

Most smp servers outright ban mass cobble generators.

• So, let's expand on this suggestion:

Al, I suggest that you add a config option for EVERYTHING in IC2. This is, of course, after adding alternative options for EVERYTHING.

In fact, why not make a magical replica of IC2 and make that a config option too? Config options for the EU output/input/consumption of all machines and cables! And for how much EU it costs per UU-Matter! And how much scrap it takes! How much dust/rubber you get from machines! How much coal it takes to get a diamond! Config options for all the things you can make with UU-Matter! CONFIG ALL THE THINGS!

... I hope you see where I'm going with this. If they add config options for everything- they won't actually code anything new.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• The reason wind mills break is they produce a massive amount of power, compared to solar. Solar are not nearly as powerful, and should be passive. Do solars break in real life? (Don't give me the "This is minecraft" argument, the generators are based off of real life.) I've seen solars irl, they require little to know maintenance, even the snow slides right off them.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• The reason wind mills break is they produce a massive amount of power, compared to solar. Solar are not nearly as powerful, and should be passive. Do solars break in real life? (Don't give me the "This is minecraft" argument, the generators are based off of real life.) I've seen solars irl, they require little to know maintenance, even the snow slides right off them.

Snow slides off of some of them IF its a solar panel designed for heating and not for electricity(though im not saying it doesnt but there would be the lack of heat there to allow the snow to slide. None the less though Solar panels irl still requires maintenance, more so than you think. Most companies suggest that you remove any debris and dirt and ensure all connections are tight on a monthly basis. Theres plenty of more things that are required to do.

Last thing is most solar panels are rated to last 30(ish) years but if you dont do daily/monthly maintence you can expect them to break within the first few months.

• Wtf! You have quoted with not even a "This."?

And Solars IRL are often causing Fires, due to productionfailures, wrong transportation or bad (homemade) installation.
    But they have very low maintenance.

yea fail on my part, was trying to edit/fix a statement and clicked submit by accident.

• and my response

Shouting OP is basically the video game equivalent of shouting 'racist' or 'queer'... It's quite demoralizing to generalize a group that uses said options in a game as inherently lazy and skill-less as such (see the example flame-war over Solar Panels)...

the config file option argument goes with nerfing post like expensive recipes with overpowered items every one hates both ideas.

now lets cut down on the personal attacks (on both sides) and see if I can relay this concept to you in a civilized manner. I want you to ask yourself
    "how does this improve the functionality of industrialcraft?"
    "will the players selection of choices become narrower or wider?"
    "what coolness will be contributed to the game as the result of my actions?"
    "is the game more or less fun with this idea"
    "will my actions result in every ten year old on the server griefing me cause I made the game less fun?"
    "does alblaka really want to be bothered to add a bunch of boring config options when he could be add cool new stuff for us to craft"
    "after asking myself all these questions is this still a good idea?"

now as to real life someone said not to use the minecraft argument but that's bogus. this is SPARTA minecraft!(and you don't want us to say that cause you have no counter argument) and the generators resemble real life generators in name only lets look at the differences
    RLgenerator: spins a coil through an electromagnetic field
    MC: bakes a tin can filled with magic dust
    RLwind/water: uses moving gas or liquid to creat spin for RLgenerator
    MCwind/water: last I checked neither of these move and unlike hydro-dams and RLwind-turbines these fit in a 1mx1m space I'm beginning to suspect these actually run of the flow of time not matter
    RLsolar: made with silicon and controlled with advanced electronics
    MCsolar: made with ground up coal with no attempt to purify it and a "circuit" that is a lump of iron flanked by more magic dust
    RLnuclear: uranium makes heat, heat makes steam, steam spins RLgenerator
    MCnuclear: put a random lump of uranium you found in a cave in a box laced with magic dust and energy just happens
    RLgeothermal: runs off geysers
    MCgethermals: runs off LAVA with no exhaust I might add

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• Snow slides off of some of them IF its a solar panel designed for heating and not for electricity(though im not saying it doesnt but there would be the lack of heat there to allow the snow to slide. None the less though Solar panels irl still requires maintenance, more so than you think. Most companies suggest that you remove any debris and dirt and ensure all connections are tight on a monthly basis. Theres plenty of more things that are required to do.

Last thing is most solar panels are rated to last 30(ish) years but if you dont do daily/monthly maintence you can expect them to break within the first few months.

Nope. Solars designed to generate electricity. The guy powers his whole house with an array equivalent to about 12 solars in minecraft. He charges batteries with them, so he can have electricity at night. Of course you have to check on them once in a while, but they are pretty passive. Very rarely does he have to do anything, and that's like, a couple times a year.

And solars lasting 30 years? That's the equivalent of 3650 hours of minecraft time. that's 152 days of straight minecraft playing, no breaks. I'm pretty sure your computer would break before the solars in minecraft would :P

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• and you could have moved to a new house by the time you need to worry about your RLsolarpanels