[Suggestion] 3d copier

• Name:3d copier

Description: this is to make it less of a pain to craft non stackables like reactor components the basic idea is you make 1 of an item fill the machine with materials and apply power the machine will then (assuming the right materials and sufficient power are available) make make a copy of that item.

the power requirements would be based on how raw the materials in the copiers inventory are. if the materials need machining they will either not work or need way more power than if you processed them before hand (so feed it sticky resin and it will need like 1000eu for each it need to convert into rubber vs. the 300 it costs in an extractor you would be paying for convenience here)

other possible implementation would be to make the machine tiered so a low tiered machine would carry a raw material through fewer phases of production than a higher tiered machine.(can take resin up to insulated cable but not circuits while it can take rubber up to circuits but not solar panels)

recipe: totally up in the air

"all hands brace for impact and or criticism!"
    READ POSTS BELOW THERE IS A BETTER DESCRIPTION DOWN THERE
    partial inspiration by: http://forum.industrial-craft.…16&highlight=UUM-Crafting

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• you mean kinda like the Buildcraft Auto-Crafting Table?

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• So what is this used again for?

think eu sucking project table mixed with the good non-OP parts of the transmutation table to make it different

its sorta like a crafting table where you give it an example of what you want and it has some limited machine abilities to make it for you

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• Sounds right up my alley. Would this work as a "standard" crafting table (no recipe restrictions) but powered, or more like forestry's carpenter with a limited recipe list? What's your stance on requiring this to actually craft the more advanced IC recipes?

Personally I think everything that can be automated should have a price (beyond the cost of the items used to craft the machine), which is why my energy base is EU, and my buildcraft engines are from bcic2 crossover. I really want to use logistics pipes, but while they're expensive, they're ultimately a "fire and forget" item. Add this to the crafting table's lack of ongoing cost, and they become too cheap for my tastes.

A crafting table that would actually require energy input? Gimme!

Apologies if I rambled a bit, had a few tonight.

• the basic idea its that the table can make from raw-materials any items that meet these requirements
    1.you have an example of what you want made to be scanned
    2.you have sufficient power available
    3.there are sufficient materials in the machines inventory

every thing else about balance and limitations are kinda up in the air and up to the devs and popular consensus. here are some possible variations I've pieced together
    1. the copier needs adjacent machines to execute recipes like rubber, ingots, cooling cells etc...
    2. copier can be fed uumatter to execute recipes that normally require a machine
    3. it just needs way more power to execute recipes that normally happen inside machines
    4. machine can use some materials in substitute for what would normally be used in the crafting table recipes (for example extruded and cured sticky resin in place of wood when crafting a wooden pickaxe, or a cf pellet in place of cobble for a large order of stone tools)

• Heh, caught me mid-edit.

Think I follow you now, it essentially reverse-engineers the item you input, and given power and resources replicates said item? Interesting twist on the autocraft concept.

Personally, a combination of variant 1 and 3 sounds like the way to go for what sounds like a pretty high-tier item. If it can't find what it needs for variant 1, fallback to variant 3.

• well i hope you realize variation 2 puts it high tier as well, and 4 is unrelated to the machine recipe problem.
    also heres one more
    5. copier can not execute recipes that happen in other machines only what can be done with a crafting table

5 puts it lower tier

heck just do 1, 2, and 3. variant 2 would act like a scrap catalyst for variant 3 and maybe use scrap or scrapboxes as weaker catalysts with a 1 in something chance of reducing power needs

• well i hope you realize variation 2 puts it high tier as well, and 4 is unrelated to the machine recipe problem.
    also heres one more
    5. copier can not execute recipes that happen in other machines only what can be done with a crafting table

5 puts it lower tier

I do realise that, but how is uu-matter handled? Does it work via the standard matter to item conversion recipes? If so, what happens to excess items from the conversion, that aren't immediately used in the replication?

• I do realise that, but how is uu-matter handled? Does it work via the standard matter to item conversion recipes? If so, what happens to excess items from the conversion, that aren't immediately used in the replication?

basically combine ore, uumatter, and techno babble to create a machine free short cut to ingots. uumatter could be used to fill a separate gauge that will be depleted as the machine executes machine recipes to make the end product

• Like the UU Idea...maybe 1 UU per material, per component?

Heres a thought:
    When a object is placed into the "copier" its template (sorry brain-fail refuses to provide a better name) is stored in a library of sorts. This could be a per-copier library or a universal one. There are a number of ways to balance this (such as placing a new "Template Library" Block like in BC 3x) Eather way it would allow you to copy when you don't have the object on you at the moment.

"A modern tank can speed at 60 mph while shooting a target with pinpoint accuracy from 5 miles away." Civ-5

• Something to use my spare reserve of 40 million EU on? Yes, please! Crafting really just takes too much time, especially on those damn cooling cells and reactor platings and I think this would be a great way of speeding things up without being totally overpowered(given reasonable power demands).

• Sounds like a lot of code for someone to be lazy.

I'd rather suggest someone not be lazy and let Al add something new, and interesting to the mod.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• Like the UU Idea...maybe 1 UU per material, per component?

I initially thought that but decided it would be to costly hence the separate uumatter gauge/tank. it will allow you to split the single piece of uumatter between multiple machine-recipies

Heres a thought:
    When a object is placed into the "copier" its template (sorry brain-fail refuses to provide a better name) is stored in a library of sorts. This could be a per-copier library or a universal one. There are a number of ways to balance this (such as placing a new "Template Library" Block like in BC 3x) Eather way it would allow you to copy when you don't have the object on you at the moment.

ever try to sift through a build library for logistics pipes? template would be a good word to use but I would say for the sake of simplicity steve needs a "template item" to get the copier going not sift through a library. but popular consensus or devs can decide other wise.

• Sounds like a lot of code for someone to be lazy.

I'd rather suggest someone not be lazy and let Al add something new, and interesting to the mod.

there are ways thing could be made interesting for example variation 4

4. machine can use some materials in substitute for what would normally be used in the crafting table recipes (for example extruded and cured sticky resin in place of wood when crafting a wooden pickaxe, or a cf pellet in place of cobble for a large order of stone tools)

but if it came down to base-in-a-box vs. 3d copier I would pick base-in-a-box anyday

• I initially thought that but decided it would be to costly hence the separate uumatter gauge/tank. it will allow you to split the single piece of uumatter between multiple machine-recipies\

Well what would be the ratio of UU Matter to Tank Points?

ever try to sift through a build library for logistics pipes? template would be a good word to use but I would say for the sake of simplicity steve needs a "template item" to get the copier going not sift through a library. but popular consensus or devs can decide other wise.

SO your saying that the this "Library" would just be a chest of stuff to replicate?

"A modern tank can speed at 60 mph while shooting a target with pinpoint accuracy from 5 miles away." Civ-5

• Well what would be the ratio of UU Matter to Tank Points?

unsure what do you think?

SO your saying that the this "Library" would just be a chest of stuff to replicate?

yeah basically just put the original in the scanner slot and get a copy out of the printer slot

• This sounds a bit like my UUM-Craftingdevice but at a lower Tier.

your idea was part of the inspiration(do i have permission to link to your idea in the top post?) but on top of crafting things from uumatter you use the matter to execute machine-recipes basically for the cost of a fraction of uumatter resin becomes rubber, ore becomes ingots, snowballs become iceblocks, all in one convenient eu sucking uumatter munching package

but the uumatter functionality is just one variation of the concept and is still up to the devs and maybe popular consensus to decide whether to implement it.