Suggestion: Remote Reactor Control

• Official Post

Remote Reactor Control (RRC)

Whenever you hold it at your hotbar, it will send you a text message on your chat, whenever reactor it is linked reach critical heat(or above a previously set one)
    and you must right click it to force deactivate/activate from distance.

Press M while holding it to get all reactor statistics:
    EU/t
    Efficiency
    Connected to redstone/redalloy (Yes/No)

Heat / Max Heat
    Heat produced per reactor tick
    Time until critical / Time until BOOM
    Cooldown time if shutdown at that moment

• The remote is a cute idea... all the statistic are ok if they came from a control block...
    BUT i don't like the idea that let u turn the reactor off by distance...
    1. because that remove all the danger of a nuclear reactor simply with a remote.
    2. because if i think at the "control block" i think at a block that say me the status of the reactor, without make me control it... think for example at the thermometer... it simply control reactor temperature but alone isn't able to shut off the whole reactor...
    3. because that will also remove all the suspance! "HO NO! REACTOR 2 WILL BLOWING UP SOON! I MUST RUN! OR WILL RUIN EVERYTHING!" is sigtly more fun then "ho, reactor 2 will blowing up soon, better shut it off and control it later, i have to finish my corp hybrid before..."

• The remote is a cute idea...

industry isn't cute! industry is about manly construction workers building manly nuclear reactors with thier bare manly hands! and then those reactors exploding in manly fireballs!/jk

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• industry isn't cute! industry is about manly construction workers building manly nuclear reactors with thier bare manly hands! and then those reactors exploding in manly fireballs!/jk

Sorry, u right... i mistake the spirit, i will correct myself:
    The remote is really a "THE SUN POWER IN MY HAYOISH HAND!!!" idea!
    Better now? :D
    But i continue thinking the things that i sayied after...

• Sorry, u right... i mistake the spirit, i will correct myself:
    The remote is really a "THE SUN POWER IN MY HAYOISH HAND!!!" idea!
    Better now? :D
    But i continue thinking the things that i sayied after...

JK but yes its better and contrary to popular belief i cannot control your thoughts so you are free to believe what you will

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Official Post

The remote is a cute idea...

Haha, Cuteness can be used as Weapon against your Enemys!!! Just create something extremly cute and show it your enemy and he will be knocked out immidiately.

But back to the Remote. As i said there should be a controlblock/computer for the reactor to link it to. If you additionally want to switch the reactor off then you should use Wireless Redstone for it.

• Haha, Cuteness can be used as Weapon against your Enemys!!! Just create something extremly cute and show it your enemy and he will be knocked out immidiately.

kind of like making a 32 bit pixel art of a Hello Kitty but use Nukes for the red parts on the drawing, then detonate when someone gets to close? :p

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• kind of like making a 32 bit pixel art of a Hello Kitty but use Nukes for the red parts on the drawing, then detonate when someone gets to close? :p

OK! OK! I'll never use the "cute" word in this forum again, ok? :D

• OK! OK! I'll never use the "cute" word in this forum again, ok? :D

it's ok Keymaster89. atleast your reaction was cute. ROFL

now back to the OP: honostly i'd like this added because it would turn my 8 Nuclear "Loop-Reactor" setup into a mini-game of multi-tasking and micro managing levers and button and pressure plates to try and control the temperature of all 8 as Breeder reactors. i could sit there like a mad scientist and be like "Reactor 1! what are you at! (recieve information) MOAR LAVA!!!, Reactor 3! what are you at?! (recieve information) send more 3 ice blocks! (click button for reactor 3, 3 times to send 3 ice from a nearby Buildcraft chest storage setup)" you get the idea :D

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• Official Post

I consider this thread electrocuteing.

@topic:
    Major issue: IC's reactors cannot yet simulate themselves. Thus they cannot give you information about efficience, heat/tick, time-until-boom...
    For this, I would need to code a simulator, effectively the thing the ReactorPlanner does. Possible, but tedious and time-consuming.

Stuff like EuT or current heat is possible, though. Just nothing related to calculation/simulation of future values.

• I consider this thread electrocuteing.

@topic:
    Major issue: IC's reactors cannot yet simulate themselves. Thus they cannot give you information about efficience, heat/tick, time-until-boom...
    For this, I would need to code a simulator, effectively the thing the ReactorPlanner does. Possible, but tedious and time-consuming.

Stuff like EuT or current heat is possible, though. Just nothing related to calculation/simulation of future values.

if it simply gave me Currently heat (0-10,000), Heat Gained per Tick, and a siren what it's at 85% or above i'd be perfectly happy, we can find out all that other stuff with skilled use of a EU Detector.

if it has 0 heat gain then it's more then likely off or the building constructed an i-o on purpose, if it's off then you can safely go check the heat. if you know how long it took to heat up and how much coolant YOU used then you can figure out the coolant time with relative ease. you can use a EU detector to find EU/t

• Official Post

I consider this thread electrocuteing.

@topic:

Stuff like EuT or current heat is possible, though. Just nothing related to calculation/simulation of future value

Show when pressing M:

EU/t
    Heat
    Max heat before Critical
    Components inside

and

sending player a RED text and a loud alarm warning whenever its reactor heat is near critical
    sending player an orange text if reactor is deactivated/activated by redstone.
    sending player a green text once every minute if reactor is active.

Or Someone could make an addon for future calculations (like reactor planner) and later implemented at IC² core if it is good enough.

• Haha, Cuteness can be used as Weapon against your Enemys!!! Just create something extremly cute and show it your enemy and he will be knocked out immidiately.

But back to the Remote. As i said there should be a controlblock/computer for the reactor to link it to. If you additionally want to switch the reactor off then you should use Wireless Redstone for it.

you know. Computer craft would fit well with reactor :D coding and stuff like that, you open your computer, put in brand new thermometer program :D oh... My dreams... Sweet... :D

btw. Turning on n off reactor? Job done by Wireless Redstone + RP2 :)

WR-to send rs signal
    RP2-to hold signal on useing gates

• Official Post

btw. Turning on n off reactor? Job done by Wireless Redstone + RP2 :)

WR-to send rs signal
    RP2-to hold signal on useing gates

Aaaand, if you are far far away from your reactor, its chunk is loaded (someone nearby, a friend of yours can do it) and it is near explosion?
    How you can have time to set up Wireless redstone?

• wel, there is an stand allone reactor planner tool Talonius designed. there is an eu detector. there is an temperature reader add on. etc.

combine them all (maybe give this as an project to an other coder) and profit.

i can definetly see this become reality

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• Aaaand, if you are far far away from your reactor, its chunk is loaded (someone nearby, a friend of yours can do it) and it is near explosion?
    How you can have time to set up Wireless redstone?

if the thermometer send redstone signal (or light eu current) after the set temperature, is like connect thermometer-to-reactor and it will make the works... RP2 wire don't even suffer the water presence...
    if there is only a informational block, yes u need to make the set up in a hurry on the distance, or ask your friend to risk his life (better say equip and level) for shut off the reactor in local... i repeat... i don't like this "save button" option... it ruins the importance of the reactor...

EDIT: and u are a little stupid going on a trip leaving your high chance to explode reactor ON at home

• eu/t isn't neccisary, that's what the EU Detector is made for, also if you know your design well enough you should know what it's output is, it's not like it changed with how hot your reactor gets.

max heat before critical is 10,000 unless you toss in a few reactor platings, which aren;t really neccissary cause if this remote only work on 1 reactor at any 1 time then you should know what's in there. :p

Auto-sending a Red Text saying something like "!!!!!!!Reactor Critical!!!!!!" makes since. and orange for redstone singal is understandable. i could set up a system with MFSUs to collect a few million EUS and then shut the reactor off to Cool, as the MSFU pours it's energy into my main battery system.

• Official Post

eu/t isn't neccisary, that's what the EU Detector is made for, also if you know your design well enough you should know what it's output is, it's not like it changed with how hot your reactor gets.

and what if someone bumps more Uranium cells inside? EU/t will raise and that will be the indicator that someone screwed with your reactor.
    or remove uranium cells?

• and what if someone bumps more Uranium cells inside? EU/t will raise and that will be the indicator that someone screwed with your reactor.

1: play with more trustworthy people.
    2: make a hidden base and relay power with lapotrons.
    3: secure your reactor with a locking door system and have lava everywhere.
    4: if it's an untrustworthy group of people then make the inside of your reactor room nothing but tesla coild so when someone goes inside it will hit them for about 500 hearts of damage a second.
    5: make the housing for your Reactor out of personal chests, that way only you can create an opening to get inside.
    6: set up dispenser traps the constantly shoot fire balls or a pit fall trap into 6 deep of lava.
    7: use your remote constantly and monitor your heat level.
    8: set it up with a specialized cable system so that is your output goes over a certain Cables tolerance then it will fry that piece of cable and then shut down your reactor.(this can be done easily with 1 piece of gold cable and a detector cable, basically creating a Fuse, have a loop of wire like a P but have the top straight part of the P as a piece of gold cable. this will cause the EU's to take the shortest path, if the EU current gets to strong then it will fry the piece of gold and flow through your HV cable or Fiber glass cable, which you'd have a detector cable on, this would apply current to your reactor and shut it down.