[Suggestion] Ceramics

• Honestly I was picturing the electromagnet coupled with a capacitor and an iron plate to act as a "piston" with a range of up to 32 blocks. Would certainly make for some amazing hidden stairways and critter traps.

i'm game for electric solenoid pistons :D

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• There are alot of applications that can be applied with Ceramics, both industrially and residential... They can be used as Mug recipe replacements, or heat sinks for large scale machines...

I'd like to see applications with them as well, as it would become a cheap and efficient derivative of many already-in-place IC machinery...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• tin alloys cant handle reactor, tin cant be used to craft casing for rods, and soo on.
    everything involved in high temperature shoud use ceramics and volfram.

plz no volfram ore, it can be crafted by redstone iron dust and possibly coal dust with redmagic transformation.

Anything involved high temperatures shoud use this, if something heating - furnace, tesla coil, highvolt it shoud use volfram.
    If something resist heat, it shoud use ceramics.

Ceramics also can be used as alternative tupe of insulation (better then rubber but harder to craft)

Ceramic armor shoud protect from fire, lava, reactor.

• Official Post

tin alloys cant handle reactor, tin cant be used to craft casing for rods, and soo on.
    everything involved in high temperature shoud use ceramics and volfram.

plz no volfram ore, it can be crafted by redstone iron dust and possibly coal dust with redmagic transformation.

First its english name is Tungsten
    Second Wolfram is written with "W"
    Third why no UUM-Recipe for Tungsten
    And Fourth its part of Redpower.

• First international name for "W" element still Wolfram.
    Third is because of fourth. ;)
    P.S. In EE Tungsten ore cost two diamonds. Can you make it from 18 UUM ?

• Official Post

First international name for "W" element still Wolfram.
    Third is because of fourth. ;)
    P.S. In EE Tungsten ore cost two diamonds. Can you make it from 18 UUM ?

First i said it's English name is Tungsten not its international Name
    Second "V" != "W"
    Third alblaka will seemingly never add new Ores
    Fourth one Tungstendust = 1/2 Tungstenore => 9 UUM and it (or the Diamonds) could be one UUM cheaper so 8 UUM
    And Fivth EE's Transmutationtable is cheating

Edit: And Sixth, why the hell are we talking about Wolfram in a Ceramic-Thread

• its like watching a german episode of sesame street ^^

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Someone speak about the Tungsten ore ... what's useful about it ? why not smelting it in a "high temperature furnace" (I already speak about it for ceramics) wich could use a lot of EU (128 EU/t), what is good for the one who are searching more usage for energy ...
    Now, with Tungsten Ingot and Iridium plate, it could be possible to craft a other plate, even more expensive, even more efficient, used to craft the Tier IV Suit ?
    Moreover, that could give an aim for player having the Quantum Suit.
    Of course it should need too Tier IV storage crystal, Tier IV circuit ...
    If you want to read more about it, I'm creating a new thread about Tier IV tech.

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• My first thought when seeing this thread was "Bricks"

Also Thought for "Brick" Drill

Diamond Drill: Faster, mines only one block.
    "Brick" Drill: Mines a 3x3x1 area but is slower.

"A modern tank can speed at 60 mph while shooting a target with pinpoint accuracy from 5 miles away." Civ-5

• Thats in EE?

My thought was more on the side of ceramic and diamond not being better than one another but more on the side of being more on the lines of having their own strengths and weaknesses. Diamond wouldn't be better than Ceramic it would just be faster and mine a smaller area. Ceramic would be slower and mine a larger area.

"A modern tank can speed at 60 mph while shooting a target with pinpoint accuracy from 5 miles away." Civ-5

• Good Idea!
    In fact a lot of server forbide the Mining Laser because of easy grieffing with, even if the serv have pluggin for protect certain zone.

So you can't mine with in Multiplayer, and I think a more advanced drill should be added.

I already think to something like that:
    "Abrasive disk"
    :Intergrated Plating: :Industrial Diamond: :Intergrated Plating:

:Industrial Diamond: :Empty Cell: :Industrial Diamond:

:Intergrated Plating: :Industrial Diamond: :Intergrated Plating:

:Industrial Diamond: =diamond ^^

:Intergrated Plating: =Tungsten Ingot / Advanced Alloy

:Empty Cell: = Nothing

Tunneling Machine
    __ :Refined Iron: :Refined Iron:
    :Intergrated Plating: :Advanced Circuit: :Energy Crystal:
    __ :Refined Iron: :Refined Iron:

:Intergrated Plating: ="Abrasive disk"

Rest is obvious.
    It could have 3 modes:
    Normal: has the same effect as diamond drill, but make you directly drop items mining (what could help you when mining laser on that f***ing lava), maybe at a speed a little bit higher. Consume 1.5* the energy consumed by the diamond drill per blocks mined.
    Mining: Mine directly 2 blocks in the same time that the first mode. Cost 4 * more energy (so 6* energy cost for diamond drill, but it means 3* more energy PER blocks)
    Useful for ... mining ^^
    Excavation: Mine 3*3=9 blocks in the time needed for mining one. This fact will cost 30 * the energy needed to mine 1 block with normal mode, so 45 * Diamond drill energy cost.
    Very useful for people who want to dig big hole without using Terraformers.

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• New here - this subject interested me as ceramics have a lot of real world uses in industry. Kilns use ceramics as a lining, and i have ceramic knives. i looked up the wiki for ceramics and found these practical everyday uses:

"
    Types of ceramic products

For convenience, ceramic products are usually divided into four sectors; these are shown below with some examples:
    Structural, including bricks, pipes, floor and roof tiles
    Refractories, such as kiln linings, gas fire radiants, steel and glass making crucibles
    Whitewares, including tableware, cookware, wall tiles, pottery products and sanitary ware
    Technical, is also known as engineering, advanced, special, and in Japan, fine ceramics. Such items include tiles used in the Space Shuttle program, gas burner nozzles, ballistic protection, nuclear fuel uranium oxide pellets, biomedical implants, coatings of jet engine turbine blades, ceramic disk brake, missile nose cones, bearing (mechanical). Frequently, the raw materials do not include clays.[6]"

link to wiki here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceramic

It's interesting that it is also used in ballistic vests, maybe used in armor this will reduce damage from projectiles, it's heat resistance will also help if you accidentally step in lava...

"
    Classification of technical ceramics
    Technical ceramics can also be classified into three distinct material categories:
    Oxides: alumina, beryllia, ceria, zirconia
    Nonoxides: carbide, boride, nitride, silicide
    Composite materials: particulate reinforced, fiber reinforced, combinations of oxides and nonoxides.
    Each one of these classes can develop unique material properties because ceramics tend to be crystalline."

I looked up some carbides and tungsten was one that jumped out to me. Tungsten Carbide cutting tools reduce the heat generated by the friction and have a sharper cutting edge. Maybe this could be placed in mining operations as an upgrade to the tools used.

(sorry geeked out on ceramics today for some reason) :)

• An upgrade to the composite vest with ceramic plates would make it resistant to projectiles, but take a bit more damage than normal. It would also provide heat resistance, allowing you to go for a lava bath, and since ceramics are very efficient insulators, they would allow you to go for long periods in lava, and not take much damage.

The q chest maybe a similar upgrade?

• What Astrognome said, but implemented in the standard suit. Reducing projectile damage could be possible with the Forge armor hooks, along with the explosion resistance that will be added in the future.

• An upgrade to the composite vest with ceramic plates would make it resistant to projectiles

So basicly scale mail?