[suggestion]inventing table

• Name: inventing table

Description: the inventing table would let players try (and fail) to invent better machines, tools, and generators
    boiled down here is how it works...
    [undetermined amount of EU]+[undetermined amount of experience points]+[ingredients for a normal crafting recipe for a machine, tool, or generator]=[a one in something chance of producing a machine, tool, or generator with unique randomize and hopefully beneficial stats] to fail the one in something chance means you lose your ingredients. some possible buffs and nerfs for the players inventions could include
    1. improved/reduced efficiency
    2. chance of explosion or breaking if operated for to long with out a break
    3. extra output or input slots
    4. improved/reduced overvoltage protection
    5. wild effects like causing mobs to spawn when in use
    6. harm zones(like Tesla coils)
    7. improved/reduced internal power storage
    8. improved/reduced operating speed
    9. stuff like getting 4 rubber instead of 3 out of a piece of resin
    10. combo machines (generator/ canning machine, compressor/ extractor, mining drill/macerator so on and so forth)
    EDIT: chance of success could be manipulated by the number of machines and book cases around it like an enchanting table

Recipe: totally up in the air
    :Tesla Coil::Intergrated Plating::Tesla Coil:
    :Wrench::Advanced Machine::Wrench:
    :Electronic Circuit::Advanced Circuit::Electronic Circuit: ?

- Hayo!

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• i dont know... sounds like fun. and alot of coding...

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• i dont know... sounds like fun. and alot of coding...

in the end "a lot of coding" is up to the devs i wouldn't be surprised if this did make it to the todo list it would be by the skin of its teeth and on the bottom (want base-in-a-box first)

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• Intressting. What if we need it for inventing all the Basicmachines before we can go Industrial?

possible as far as i know. but personally i didn't want to totally copy thaumcraft i was thinking more along the lines of a way to implement less than perfect suggestions(like dirt batteries) by using randomness as a counter balance

• wel, i gave this some thought.

conclusion:
    combining machines is OP dont do it.

giving them more slots, seems like an good idea to me

adding variable EU ussage's and efficiency's also sounds good.

overall, good idea :)

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• Yes, or maybe we could discover news technologies (so news crafts) in dungeon, stronghold or other chest randomly generate on the map ?
    This Idea could be good if we want to make a realistic economy on a server ... but in single player ...
    More reasonable, the fact we must make research before finding machine should improve them.

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• while true balance would be impossible the OP-ness of combo machines and tools can corrected by randomly assigning the machine flaws like reduced speed and efficiency or the tendency to explode and thats assuming you get the machine to randomly spit out a combo machine for you in the first place. a perfect combo machine would be very rare indeed

• I absolutedly don't like this random thing... we are technician, we don't assemble machine random and see what happen... HAYOISH thing don't came by fortune!
    If we want some upgrading of this kind, then we can talk about the famous Nanotech suggestion...
    it seems to me really more industrialish and pratical... i wanna see no more under glass brains! X(

• This makes me think of Valve's interpretation of adding weapons to Team Fortress 2. They wanted to make the gameplay more interesting without making it unbalanced (they totally failed but whatever), so for a particular weapon they would give it a simultaneous buff and nerf. More damage, less ammo. Faster attack speed, some weird side effect. Etc, etc.

I saw a similar feature put to use in Thaumcraft, in which you use rare artifacts you discover to have a (small) chance to discover a blueprint for a new item. Now, imo that was extremely annoying to do.

I think a more fun way would be to have a guaranteed system (like experience/the enchanting table, only industrial-ish), except you would have a higher chance of getting a dud item rather than a fair item. When trying to upgrade a diamond drill, you may unintentionally cause it to be unable to mine sand/gravel faster than a wooden shovel, but maybe it breaks obsidian 2x as fast. What if you could even upgrade it once more, with a chance to remove the nerf/make the buff stronger? Or even completely change the stats?

I don't see this playing out past tools and armor though... There just aren't enough stats on the IC2 blocks to mess around with.

• @ the above 2 comments: this is not an enchanting table its not meant to be an industrial version of it aside from borrowing the success boost from nearby blocks mechanic, and an enchanting table gives you a random out put as well so stop loving the vanilla enchanting table and hating the random mechanic of this at the same time.

now to try and do a better job explaining the idea:
    this would not be like tf2 the is no pre-made designs that just pop out with balanced buffs and weaknesses its possible and just as likely to give you some thing that is all around better as it is to get something that is all around worse with possible special effects and requirements sprinkled in.

its crafting table where steve is trying to tinker out a prototype and find something new. none of the designs are mass production worthy. its not meant to compete with nano tech and[start mini-rant] I'm beginning to get tried of this "i want to see this idea go down in flames cause i want to see a different one implemented" type arguments on these forums. please try some more constructive criticism. [end mini-rant]

in the end this is a a suggestion about inventing that is the essence this idea is trying to capture so try to keep your tweaks along that line if it doesn't keep this small detail it might as well be a totally different suggestion

• Erm, never said I didn't like the whole random thing... My entire post was worshipping the coolness of random stats...

• sorry i must have mixed the two together in my brain(it was very late/early my time when i wrote that)