[Suggestion] Exolegs / Carrier

• Two suggestions in this thread, because they're kind of dependent on each other.

The exolegs!

They instantly recognize your movements and enhances them through water pressure.

Practical!
    - You'll be a bit faster on your feet (not much, but noticable)
    - Less fall damage (just a little bit)
    - Enables you to walk over full blocks like half-slabs (never jump up the stairs from your mine again you lazy bastard without stairs)
    - But their real purpose is to cancel out the negative effects of the carrier!

Fashionable!
    Accentuates Steves beautiful calves and absolutely necessary to pull of the latest electonic gear style with consists of the solar helm, carrier, exolegs and static boots. (also neccessary to keep the them charged)

Recipe!

----

The Carrier!

Worn alone it expands your inventory space, but slows you down to crouching speed, due to the extra weight.
    But on closer look you will notice that it's made for distributing the weight to the exolegs.

Practical!
    - More inventory space
    - Normal walking speed if(!) you're wearing them in combination with the exolegs
    - Still fall damage protection from the exolegs
    - But not the ability to walk over full blocks anymore

Economic!
    Wear the full electronic gear set and the power you generate will almost be enough to sustain the usage.

Recipe!

PS: Relatively new to the forum, but I've searched for speed boosts, backpacks and expanded inventories and found nothing similar.

• usually speed boosts are not suggested because we already have quantum leg, teleporters, and jetpacks though some unique ones come up from time to time (see "minecart PANTS!" and "roller skates")

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• They are intended to be used in combination with the carrier, so you wont be slowed down to crouching speed. They're only giving a little speed boost to be realistic.
    The best part about the exolegs would be the ability to walk over full blocks without jumping.

But still, their true purpose is to cancel out the carriers' negative effects and increase the cost of more inventory space, since you will have to wear them instead of the
    quantum legs if you want to have more inventory.

I should probably make that more clear in the first post.

• Official Post

Interesting concept, but not within a simle's mod reach. At the very least the "walk across 1 block high" is.

Speed scaling COULD be done with the armor parts applying potion effects (ugly solution though) or a motion* similar to QuantumSuit (hard to control properly).
    Fall damage reduction is easy.
    Increased inventory near impossible again.

• Damn okay. The walking over blocks thing was a configurable number in single player commands, so I hoped it would be easy as that. Same goes for the walking speed. Minecraft doesn't make a thing easy huh?

By the way, with expanded inventory I meant putting the carrier into the hotbar and right-clicking. Is that a pain to code as well?

In any case, thanks for taking your time.

• Official Post

Damn okay. The walking over blocks thing was a configurable number in single player commands, so I hoped it would be easy as that. Same goes for the walking speed. Minecraft doesn't make a thing easy huh?

Just because something's easy for the consumer to use, doesn't mean it's easy to create/code. You can drive a car, but you cant assemble one, can you?
    SPC is modifying BaseFiles and thus can create the hooks necessary to make that feature work. Not an option for IC².

By the way, with expanded inventory I meant putting the carrier into the hotbar and right-clicking. Is that a pain to code as well?

That's possible, but will effectively permit people to carry a whole inventory full of carriers.

• That's possible, but will effectively permit people to carry a whole inventory full of carriers.

Unless, the carrier's code specifies that other carriers can not be placed inside when it closes (similar to the EE Alchemical Bag). When the carrier is closed, it spits out any carriers that were placed in there.

• Ok, I don't see this idea being implemented anywhere in the future, but it's sill fun to cook some ideas up. Maybe inspire something else.

How about this:

- The carrier will give a minus to your walking speed even if it's in your inventory
    - The exolegs don't give a walking speed bonus, it will only remove the carriers effect IF both of them are equipped

Remember, the whole purpose of that mechanism is to make things more difficult and realistic.

So if for example the normal walking speed was 1 and crouching is 0.5, each carrier you have on you would give you a multiplier of 0.5 on your speed.
    (would be awesome too, if the amount of slowing was proportional to the amount of items stored in the carrier)

Walking speed comparison:

0.25 = with 2 carriers
    0.5 = with 1 carrier / crouching speed
    1.0 = normal walking speed / exolegs + carrier
    1.5 = with quantum legs
    2.0 = sprinting
    2.5 = sprinting with quantum legs

Funny side effect: you can stun a guy by throwing several carriers at him.

• Actually just thought of something that might be much easier to implement. (not too familiar with MC mechanics, so I'm not sure)

Carrier:
    - Higher food consumption (stackable effect)
    - Higher fall damage (also stackable effect)
    - Disable sprinting
    - Disable jumping (or the "sticky resin sheet effect")

Exolegs:
    - Cancels negative effects of the carrier ONLY when both items are equipped (that also means the effect of only one carrier is canceled out)
    - Fall damage protection bonus when wearing only the exolegs
    - Normal food consumption while sprinting

• With this ^^^ I think it's a great idea! Also, just to make sure no one abuses multiple carriers:

- no jetpack use without exolegs+carrier equipped
    - no teleporting without exolegs+carrier equipped
    - extra carrier negative effect: increased "break rate of tools" (or EU drain [by 2x 4x 8x etc.]) <-- if hard to code obviously remove
    - extra carrier negative effect: decreased regular walk speed (if possible to code easily)
    - carrier negative effect stacking MULTIPLIES the effects (so 1C=2x, 2C=4x, 3C=8x, etc.)

Also, since the quantum suit effects change speed, could the carriers? Or is that only because they use a special ability? If so could always make opening the carriers to store items activate a special effect to slow you down until all the items are removed, right?

Anyways, I think that this whole idea is pretty much awesome.

EDIT: Or, you could just make it so that you can only have 1 carrier in your inventory/equip :D
    If that's possible anyways...

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the
    generation. Social experiment.