The Ultimate Industrial Frame Engineering Challenge(s) - TUIFEC

• Official Post

Out of randomness and the combination of "OMG FINALLY FRAMES OUT" and "OMG NOT ENOUGH TIME DO IT MYSELF!", I've decided to put up a contest/challenge, combining the new awesomeness of Redpower's Frames with the Machines of Industrialcraft.
    Both contests will run as long as necessary for someone to complete it. Entrys can be made (as often as you wish) via PM. The first valid entry wins.
    The prizes for both contests are non-material secret goods of incredible value. You will appreciate them, i'm sure.
    The prizes are both only awardable to a single person, you cannot claim the prize as a group of people (now, you can, but only one guy will get the actual prize, though your whole group may be named as the winners).
    You may participate in both contests, but you can exclusively win the prize in a single one. You really don't need two of the secret prizes anyways, trust me.
    Given it's not a material/cash price, people of any age/country/etc can join in, sole restriction is a legit version of Minecraft.

Content-wise, both contents evolve around constructing awesomeness by using IC, RP and BC or TubeStuff (since you need something for autocrafting). Usage of these mods is permitted and actually necessary. You may have additional mods installed for whatever reason or content, but those MUSN'T be used to achieve the contests goal. Though you may very well use some decorative blocks of extern mods (deco > they have no actual influence).
    Usage of Creative Mode / TMI / NEI is fully permitted and, in honesty, strongly advised.
    An entry (via PM!) must consist of either the map or the access details if the map is on a server. Additionally, it MUST contain screenshots showing up the progress of the working piece. The more, the better. As well, you must document/explain the more complex mechanics of your design, essentially creating a tutorial which other people could use to re-build your creation on their own.

Now, since we got the formalitys down, let's move on to the contest's themes:

Solar-SPAMatron
    Task: Design a mobile factory capable of creating an infinitely long Solar-Array (infinitely as in ridicolously long, I'm aware even Iron+EV has it's limits) out of nothing, but energy, using Mass Fabricators.
    Specifications:
    -The factory/vessel must be capable of moving into at least one horizontal direction on it's own, using Frame Motors. It doesn't need to have a reverse, nor flying capability.
    -The factory must be able to flatten terain in front of it, to an realistic extend. F.e. running it through a steppe or a shallow forest must be possible, mountains or rainforests can be ignored.
    -The only ressources the factory is permitted to consume after it's completion, are those it harvests (while flattening land) and energy-ressources (coal, uranium, lava cells). It's not permitted to supply "free scrap", though you are permitted to recycle the harvested materials into scrap via on-board recyclers.
    -The factory must be fully operational by simply flicking a switch, performing it's whole duty without any sort of manually necessary control.
    -The Solar Panels must be placed in a way to permit the factory to draw energy of them. Effectively the factory builds a large Solar array behind itself, using the already build array to accelerate building operations.

Galactic Mining Vessel MarkXXXXII
    Task: Design a spaceship made of frames, which is capable of omnidirectional flight. It needs to be capable of mining ressources via IC miners, as well as processing these FULLY AUTOMATED in a reasonable way (Ore > Macerator > Dust > Furnace > Ingot > Storage).
    -The main power source of the spaceship MUST be (at least) one Nuclear Reactor. <<< As long as Nuclear Reactors crash upon being moved with frames, this limitation does not apply. Though you may attach additional "auxilary/emergency" energy sources.
    -Flight mechanics need to be semi-automatic. A pilot/player merely needs to flip a switch for each directional movement, the vessel will keep moving into that direction until the switch is flipped off again.
    -(De)Activation of miners does NOT need to be automatized.
    -The spaceship must be capable of landing/starting in a realistic fashion (f.e. by landing on leg-like appendages). Bonus points if you are able to expand/retract the landing pads via frames.
    -The refinery complex needs to be capable of fully processing any sort of Ore, as well as storing or recycling any sort of material thrown into the system. As all refinery designs, it must contain a manual input (usually a chest) for players to dump any stuff in.
    -It's not necessaryly a requirement for the spaceships refinery/storage system to be fully operational mid-flight.
    -The spaceship does not need to be able of altering it's environment in any ways but the miners. You don't need it to be able to eat through mountains, nor does it need to be capable of terraforming something into a flat landing area.
    -The Mining component of the ship must consist of IC Miners.

In case of any questions, ask them in this thread.

• Official Post

Hmmm...
    SolarSPAMatron? I would never do something like that. (because i dont use IC²-Solar)
    Galactic Miningvessel? Onboard-Nuclearreactor? Are you kidding me, its still bugged without Frames and you expect us to build it in a Frameconstruction!?!

But i have an Idea for an additional Requirement for the Spaceship: Onboard-Terraformer!

Nice competition, but i'm too lazy to compete (much more chances for others) :D

• Will it be fine for solar spamatron to be manually resupplied after certain period of cycles? Since BC tubing which I needed for auto-crafting them (RP cannot properly use crafting table) are disappears after any move of the frames.

streetstar5
    Thx alot, didn't know about this mod.

• the solar panels should they be the ones from redpower 2 or industrialcraft 2 or even a mix
    and are we allowed to use a mod to convert the power

• I see a little oversight in the solarspammer. If we need to make the solars automatically out of resources gathered from UUM, how are we supposed to autocraft them if we can't use BC or TubeStuff as part of the rules?

Was going to ask about the source of blutricity for the motor, but I noticed it wasn't an oversight at all.

• There are a bug in RP frames, any BC tubing attached to it will disappear. RP tubes do not work properly with autocrafting table.

• Nuclear reactors dont like to be moved.

Isnt this the same thing that was happening to CF'd cables?

Also, this is a client side crash, server doesn't crash and even moves everything.
    The reactor doesnt seem to output energy however.

• Official Post

I'm assuming the mining part should only happen when the galactic mining vessel is not moving?
    Also, are we allowed to use blockbreakers instead of IC miners?

Mining doesn't need to happen while moving and I actually doubt it's possible at all (via IC Miner).
    You may add additional blockbreakers for landing or whatever purpouses, but the main mining capability is meant to run via IC Miners.

Nuclear reactors dont like to be moved.
    Isnt this the same thing that was happening to CF'd cables?

Also, this is a client side crash, server doesn't crash and even moves everything.
    The reactor doesnt seem to output energy however.

Meh... guess spaceships will have to do without nuclear reactors for the time being? :O

• Wondering if there is a way to remove the drillbit out of the miner automaticly. If not you would need to farm trees automaticly or have a mass fabricator in both machine just to make wood
    so you can replace the lost drill pipes.
    (If its not possible both machines are gone become a lot harder to build.)

And with the factory do you mean the construction of solar panels and the mining for mats and moving + laying down the panels
    or are we allowed to split it in 3 parts with 3 switches

• Wondering if there is a way to remove the drillbit out of the miner automaticly. If not you would need to farm trees automaticly or have a mass fabricator in both machine just to make wood

I think you could make a pillar type thing with block breakers and frames that extends out of the ship, digs a straight hole next to the miner and collects the mining pipes .

• thought about that but the you need to keep the breakers connected to frames only possible from the back because of that you cant put tubes behind them to catch the mats
    you cant put the frames next to the breakers because they wouldnt be able to move futher down because rock would be in the way

basicly you gone need to put forestry mod in the allowed mods so you can make a full automatic tree farm that can move with the machine +
    you gone need a really big drill head in front of the machine for that or make a large space schip

• thought about that but the you need to keep the breakers connected to frames only possible from the back because of that you cant put tubes behind them to catch the mats
    you cant put the frames next to the breakers because they wouldnt be able to move futher down because rock would be in the way

basicly you gone need to put forestry mod in the allowed mods so you can make a full automatic tree farm that can move with the machine +
    you gone need a really big drill head in front of the machine for that or make a large space schip

Nope, it's possible but you would have to do a quite sizable drilling machine to do that(the drillhead alone needs a left-right engine to be able to move forward).

• Official Post

Wondering if there is a way to remove the drillbit out of the miner automaticly. If not you would need to farm trees automaticly or have a mass fabricator in both machine just to make wood

And with the factory do you mean the construction of solar panels and the mining for mats and moving + laying down the panels
    or are we allowed to split it in 3 parts with 3 switches

As stated, the Miners do NOT need to operate automatically for the MK42. The flight must be semi-automated, but miners can remain hand-operated (in regards of switching mining modes, the mined stuff needs to be refined automatically again).

Don't see a need for a wood farm in either concept. Exspecially since you can just abuse UUM for everything.

For the Spamatron, the requirement is FULL automatic for everything. It's up to you to code the RP-wiring to enable that. Probably RP-Computers could help.

• Heya..

Since its a related Problem ill post it here:

After moving ic2 stuff with the frames, the cabling dosnt work anymore.. (at least for me) :(

greetings