Suggestion: Change cable hit-box

• Would not change much to the game (in term of gameplay), but i was still wondering if it would be possible to make it so that the hit-box for the cables is actually right ... and not 1 bloc.
    As i just said, it isnt much of an implement or anything of the sort, just a little plus i would say.

Just has been bugging...

(havent seen any kinda """complain"""" about it anywhere on the forum so far, so here i am : D)

• I second this notion. Very annoying when cables block access to machinery, especially generators. SpaceToad did it with his newest BuildCraft patch for the pipes, so I don't see why not.

• I don't agree. The buildcraft pipes have always been annoying to place due to the unexpected size and shape of the bounding box, leading to a lot of incorrect placements. When I saw that the IC cables looked the same but had a proper box I was relieved, and I would hate to have it changed.

• I don't agree. The buildcraft pipes have always been annoying to place due to the unexpected size and shape of the bounding box, leading to a lot of incorrect placements. When I saw that the IC cables looked the same but had a proper box I was relieved, and I would hate to have it changed.

What do you mean? IC cables have a huge hitbox that is far larger than the visible model. THAT is misleading. And that's how it was with BC pipes as well, until patch 2.1.1, where pipe hitboxes match visual models exactly. Not the case with cables, no it isn't, dear sir:

• Guess i wasnt alone XD

And as you said Viktor_Berg, SpaceToad did it whit buildcraft. So it is possible, now the question is : is it worth the time.
    I don't know if it would be long/complicated, since not all cable got same size (i really have no clue)

Thanks for supporting the idea in anycase : D

• Official Post

This isn't possible.
    Minecraft solely supports ONE 3D-8edged box for any sort of rendering, collision detection and hitbox display.
    However, within the rendering engine you can overcome this by (hell, it's a crappy solution, but that's what notch did) changing the whole box of ALL blocks of a type for a ms, then render the block, change it again, render again, etc, then change it back to normal. This way you can render irregular forms.

However, this does solely work for rendering afaik.

If i remember correctly, SpaceToads pipe can display a "correct" markBox, too, but if you attempt to place a block the actual hitbox is used... thus, doing it like in BC would merely cause the hitbox not to be displayed as "cube" anymore and lead to (eventually fatal (HV!)) missplacing of cables.

• Too bad i guess TT_TT
    Still, if a solution is found (in a later version of minecraft or something like that), i still maintain that it would be great !

• This isn't possible.
    Minecraft solely supports ONE 3D-8edged box for any sort of rendering, collision detection and hitbox display.
    However, within the rendering engine you can overcome this by (hell, it's a crappy solution, but that's what notch did) changing the whole box of ALL blocks of a type for a ms, then render the block, change it again, render again, etc, then change it back to normal. This way you can render irregular forms.

However, this does solely work for rendering afaik.

If i remember correctly, SpaceToads pipe can display a "correct" markBox, too, but if you attempt to place a block the actual hitbox is used... thus, doing it like in BC would merely cause the hitbox not to be displayed as "cube" anymore and lead to (eventually fatal (HV!)) missplacing of cables.

I just tested this in BuildCraft 2.1.1, the displayed hitbox is also the hitbox used to determine block placement. Furthermore, what about both torches, flowers, etc? They all use custom hitboxes both for gameplay and display too.

• Official Post

I just tested this in BuildCraft 2.1.1, the displayed hitbox is also the hitbox used to determine block placement. Furthermore, what about both torches, flowers, etc? They all use custom hitboxes both for gameplay and display too.

Hmmm, eventually SpaceToad found a fix since i last played BC, i will bug him about this.

Btw, please don't mistake stuff like torches (1 box) or plants (1 box) with stuff like modular cables (1-7 boxes).

• In BC 2.1.1, the smaller hitboxes are definitely genuine. In previous versions, you could not access a container or a machine from the side that was obstructed by a pipe due to the hitbox. However, in 2.1.1, you can completely surround, say, a chest, with pipes, and still access its contents through the edges.

• Hm...

I recently (installed today >_<) found a mod called RedPower, it was actually in KillerBeez teaser video if i am not mistaken. In that mod there's those partial bloc part, whit those you can hide wire or use them only for esthetic purpose. It seems ratter complicated how you can place it to any number of face of the same cube you want, so i wonder, would that be possible whit the cable too, or the fact that current pass in them make it so they need to be "full" bloc ?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think there"s any way to hide a cable in the current version.

EDIT : Having this made possible would really up the fun by a damn lot !!!! Cable blocking access to the GUI yet letting us see the bloc we want to click is.. ARGH ! (I do, and by a lot, prefer those tiny cable to the ubber big old one, just mentioning XD)

• The smaller cables are indeed awesome, but I personally think Iron Cable is still MUCH too big. =/

My poor overhead wiring suspended from telephone poles looks atrocious. =(

• Official Post

Hmmmm...
    This idea would actually be a neat addition and could replace the cable-obfuscation part.
    How about some semi-solid cementoplastic clump, which can be formed around cables to create industrial-styled white blocks. One could as well place them as regular wall material and thus make cables "dissappear".

• Eloraam (the creator of RedPower) has a pretty elaborate selection method in the newest version of RedPower. I gave her the idea for how to select block placement and she pretty much implemented it exactly how I suggested it. I can tell you that in order to do that, she wrote her own custom renderer and rewrote the selection raytracer, which was no easy task at all. I wouldn't expect many mods to go as far as she did with customizing block placement.

• Hmmmm...
    This idea would actually be a neat addition and could replace the cable-obfuscation part.
    How about some semi-solid cementoplastic clump, which can be formed around cables to create industrial-styled white blocks. One could as well place them as regular wall material and thus make cables "dissappear".

Fine by me, but as far as i know, if you do reduce the infamous (XD) hit-box of those cables the RedPower "plate" should works properly.
    You might want install it, see how it work and go ask some question if you want/need to ^^ (always help when someone as already done something similar !)

• Fine by me, but as far as i know, if you do reduce the infamous (XD) hit-box of those cables the RedPower "plate" should works properly.

No it won't, unless he writes either his own version of it or makes IC dependant on RedPower Core (which won't happen I bet).
    Elo's coverplates work only with her RP wires and nothing else. The question if they can be used for BC pipes comes up quite often and the answer is always the same.
    But Al's idea is good idea too, some platic blob you put around the cable so it becomes a normal block again and then the obfuscator thing can change the look of that block.

On my install Mining Drill doesn't give off any sounds at all o.o
    Help! Somebody fix that please!
    Wait a sec... damnit.

no idea if he was serious but either way that was damn funny xD