[Question] About reinforced Stone and Nuclear explosions (Please answer WITH Math)

• Official Post

So i have build a Waterbucket-CASUC (1840 EU/t, its the same as in my Tutorial), with a Foolproof Controlsystem and now i need to know how many RF-Stone-Layers are needed, to completely save the Sorroundings from a Nuclear explosion of this Reactor (What will most likely never happen, because i hotfixed the Nuclearreactorredstonebug with the help of Computercraft).

Also i want to know, if a Nuke can do Blockdamage to the Reactor (for preventing explosive Chainreactions), if you put the Nuke on the mentioned Reactor-RF-Stonehull.

I know i could find it out via experimenting, but i need the complete math, behind the behaviour of Explosions with RF-Stone.

The Answer will be partly included in my Tutorial, so that failures in copying jppk1's Design, (which i use in my Tutorial) in Survival wouldn't destroy Part's of the Users Bases, due to too less RF-Stone.

P.S. if you don't know a good answer, which is including Math, then you shouldn't be the first third one who replies.

Greetings,
    Gregorius Techneticies

• I've tried to research this a bit before, but have come up with no results as to the blast the reactor actually causes. However, a RF-Stone provides 150 blast resistance if that helps.

• The way I read it on the wiki, two layers will completly nullify the explosion. Though if it were me,i'd triple or quadruple layer it just to be sure. When it comes to reactors, there's no such thing as being too careful.

• Official Post

The way I read it on the wiki, two layers will completly nullify the explosion. Though if it were me,i'd triple or quadruple layer it just to be sure. When it comes to reactors, there's no such thing as being too careful.

OK, can someone explain me the modified Sourcecode WITH MATH of the Explosions in IC².

P.S. I can read the Wiki too, please stop to refer to it.

• Well, I don't have math numbers, but I do know some of the variables. The contents of a reactor impact its blast size. I believe that Uranium cells and Depleted Isotope cells will increase the blast radius while Internal Hull plating and maybe heat dispersers will reduce the blast size.

• Indeed, the explosion size depends on the contents of the nuclear chamber. I always wrap in 5 layers, just to be sure, which is fun.

• I know that paranoid five Layers are enough to keep an unconfigurated Explosion inside the RF-Stonehull, but i still NEED THE MATH OF THAT!!!

So does anyone know it?

psst: THERE IS NO MATH
    not without spending hours coming through the decompiled source, which your welcome to do yourself but your not going to find anyone else doing it for you if your going to be that much of an ass about it.

2 layers is enough for a full CASUC explosion if your careful enough, take it or leave it.

• Official Post

psst: THERE IS NO MATH
    not without spending hours coming through the decompiled source, which your welcome to do yourself but your not going to find anyone else doing it for you if your going to be that much of an ass about it.

2 layers is enough for a full CASUC explosion if your careful enough, take it or leave it.

I guess, these two Layers are additional to Outsidewatercoolant, and leaving a bit Destruction around the RF-Stonebuilding (like happened in my Tests).

AND, I hoped that someone knows that f**king Explosioncode, because it's at least as hard to understand as the E-net.

• Yes, and then i lose 3 EU/t (of 1840 EU/t) in my Glassfibrecabling AAAAAND it looks ugly.

Anyone decompiled and understood that Explosioncode?

Yeah, and it's hard. This is what I've got so far:

Your setup has 42 uranium cells.
    Nuclear reactors explode with a force of 10 + cells*3 - reactorplating*1 (found this in the source)
    So yours would explode with a force of 10 + 42*3 = 136.
    However this is limited by the config, the default max explosion force = 45.
    Maximum distance of explosion = force/4 = 11,25 - this is with nothing in the way.
    The way IC2 explosions work is that they shoot rays with a certain length in all directions.
    Those rays end 1 block apart.
    As our rays have a distance of 34, the angle between rays is arctan(1/distance)
    So that angle = 0,0294 radians = 1,68 degrees
    Meaning the number of rays in half a circle = PI / angle = PI / 0,0294 = 106,84 - this is rounded down to 106.
    The way explosions shoots rays is that they increase the horizontal angle bit by bit, and for every step they shoot rays from bottom to top by increasing vertical angles.
    The absorption of a block the explosions calculate with is 0,5 + (resistance*3/5 + 4) * 0,3. However i'm not sure about the *3.
    So for reinforced stone that's 0,5 + (150*3/5 + 4) * 0,3 = 0,5 + 34*0,3 = 28,7.

Water's resistance is nerfed, absorption of water = 0,5 + (30*3/5 + 4) * 0,3 = 7,1
    Reactor chamber resistance is 10, absorption = 0,5 + (10*3/5 + 4) * 0,3 = 3,5
    Nuclear reactor resistance is 15, absorption = 0,5 + (15*3/5 + 4) * 0,3 = 4,4
    As long as the power is greater than the absorption, the block gets added to the list of blocks that will be removed - but it will stay as long as not all rays have been shot.
    The power of each ray diminishes with the absorption of a block.
    Now the problem is, the explosion starts at the exact coords of the nuclear reactor, which is a corner of the block.
    Another problem is, if the absorption exceeds 10, another ray is shot in a random direction, with a force of absorption * 0,4.

• Official Post

THIS
    IS
    exactly what i wanted!

Thank you very much, for sharing the Explosioncode in an understandable Way. I will add this to my Tutorial (As i said in the Mainthread), because this way you can determine the exact amount of RF-Stone for your Reactor very efficient (AND NOT PARANOID AS NORMAL).

• In my tests there was another BIG factor to watch out for. Magmafication. My testing showed that odds are at least one or two blocks of your bunker are going to get turned into magma in the final seconds, no mater how catastrophic your cooling failure. If on the other hand you are approaching a meltdown extremely slowly, you can easily magmafy a LOT of blocks. So, to avoid this you need to build your bunker outside the magmafication range (greatly increasing the number of needed blocks). My testing was done with a bit older version tho (the one in the tekkit pack for MP) so if they have prevented this in new versions kindly ignore me.

• Official Post

In my tests there was another BIG factor to watch out for. Magmafication. My testing showed that odds are at least one or two blocks of your bunker are going to get turned into magma in the final seconds, no mater how catastrophic your cooling failure. If on the other hand you are approaching a meltdown extremely slowly, you can easily magmafy a LOT of blocks. So, to avoid this you need to build your bunker outside the magmafication range (greatly increasing the number of needed blocks). My testing was done with a bit older version tho (the one in the tekkit pack for MP) so if they have prevented this in new versions kindly ignore me.

Oh yes Magmafication, thats a large Problem.

My Reactor autoprevents it, so i didn't factor it in. The Reactorcoolant built around the hull is so large that my RF-Wall is far away enough, and if one of that Coolantcomponents vanishes, then the whole thing blows up in a nearby instant fashion.

I will add a Warning for that Case to the Tutorial.