How to start out?

• Hi there~

I'm personally just wondering what the best way is to start out and build up...
    I just realized that in the early times I always feel pretty stressed

"MUST get nano,
    "MUST get stable power",
    "(char-)coal is inefficient and i have to keep treefarming all time time, so lava"
    "must find more and more lava",
    "must build mfsu/mfe",
    "need more solars so i can eventually get free energy in good amounts" etc
    "must get quantum at some point, but also eats lots of energy"

If you even add other mods in theres other stuff you have to build too..
    So I wonder how you people start out? How do you generate power etc :3
    I mostly go with charcoal+geothermal at the beginning and try to build up solars

Should one be using wind? or maybe watermills?

• Official Post

Thats my Start (IC², Redpower, Thaumcraft2, Railcraft)

1st Daytime (the most likely only time when i'm on Surface in the Beginning)
    - Punch/Chop a few Oaks.
    - Find Rubbertree and get Saplings from it.
    - Get Wheatseeds (Food) and Sugarcanes (For Thaumcraftresearch)

1st Night started (and then you will not see me for a long time)
    - Start mining
    - Craft Gemtools of Redpower
    - Find large Pool of Lava
    - build temporary Base next to it
    - build Quaesitum and IC²-Cropbased-Sugarcanefarm
    - build Extractor and then Macerator (powered with Redstonedust in bottomslot)
    - build a normal Generator to burn my Scaffolds
    - build a small Oakfarm under the Earth (Delicious Apples)
    - Emptyfy the Lavalake with Lavacells
    - Craft Electrowrench to dismantle the two Machines
    - Search for another place for the real Base
    - mark an exact Chunk (16x16-Area) at the new Baseposition (Makes Chunkloaders more effective and less buggy)
    - build Thaumcraftworkshop
    - Craft the Chunkloadseal (Magic/Earth/Earth) of Thaumcraft for the Base
    - build a Redpowerbased, Geothermaldriven Factory for the mined Stuff
    - Mining, Mining, Mining (the last time, which i will do it myself)
    - build automanned Watermill (16 EU/t) with Redpower for the Factory, because the Lava weared out.
    - build a Tunnelboringmachine with Redpowers Frames, and if the Framebugs are fixed, also a IC²-Factory on it.
    - Let the Tunnelbore (with Railcraftchunkloader on board) run and explore the Surface for Thaumcrafts Artifacts/Monoliths.

I have installed Mystcraft today, and i dont know, how it actually affects my Gameplay, but it changes not much on my Strategy.

• Teleport tethers are working with Frames (see Direwolf20)

plus even if world anchors don't work (like say.. you don't have the TP tethers installed) you could possibly put an anchor cart on the frame contraption.
    though i'm not sure if frames works with minecarts.

• The anchor cart works fine to my knowledge. The position of the cart is given and rounded.

Buildcraft – spilling items.™

• No, I mean, when the anchor is placed its location is stored in a list, and when removed by hand the location is removed. It was direwolf's error putting chunk loaders in frame quarries - even though it appears the chunks are loaded, they are not.

• 1. Punch some wood.
    2. Mine. For a LONG time.
    3. Come out.
    4. Punch a random tinkling flying EXP orb.
    5. Realize that it's a Thaumcraft wisp, which is now pissed and shooting lightning at you.
    6. Sprint like hell.
    7. Get lost
    8. Die with great horribleness.
    9. Spend ages tracking down the site of my death.
    10. Discover that all of items have despawned.
    11. Ragequit
    12. Repeat.

1. OMG CREEPER RUN AWAY!
    2. Go away, you creeper wierdo!
    3. What ever, I'll just go around.
    4. Hup, over their heads I go!
    5. Okay Mister living grenade, I'm going to knock you into those skeletons, and I'll follow through with a nano saber. Understood? FOR THE ALMIGHTLY DRAGON LORD!

• all i can say is

fences make good windows

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Glass makes even better windows :P (Panes are seriously cheap, and cobble can be macereated into sand, btw)

when you are building your first hut your are more likely to have wood on hand then sand, and a furnace. plus if you spring for a fence gate then you have a window that you can open and punch zombies from. plus the fences are recyclable :D when your ready for glass windows you can pop the fences out and make an animal pen out of them or something

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• HAH, nice. as to #4, that was my first thought as well when I started a game with thaumcraft. Wondered what an XP orb was doing flying about. Sounds like it was a good thing I missed when I took a swing at it. (I build a stone sword farily early)

• HAH, nice. as to #4, that was my first thought as well when I started a game with thaumcraft. Wondered what an XP orb was doing flying about. Sounds like it was a good thing I missed when I took a swing at it. (I build a stone sword farily early)

Yeah, I didn't even have a sword at the time. Take note future warriors of minecraftia. Ground troops are completely ineffective against air troops if the ground troops don't have ranged support and or weapons.

1. OMG CREEPER RUN AWAY!
    2. Go away, you creeper wierdo!
    3. What ever, I'll just go around.
    4. Hup, over their heads I go!
    5. Okay Mister living grenade, I'm going to knock you into those skeletons, and I'll follow through with a nano saber. Understood? FOR THE ALMIGHTLY DRAGON LORD!

• i actualy hit one of those wisp things while on a small island in the middle of the ocean with nothing else in sight.... running wasn't an option :(.

for ic2 startup i generaly:

1. collect wood
    2. dig temporary underground base
    3. start burning wood into charcoal
    4. make staircase from base to lvl 12
    5. dig around for tin, copper and redstone.
    6. go back up and search for a rubber tree.
    7. create generator, extractor, macerator and batbox (in that order)
    8. start building solars

after that i just do what i want realy. no real order of doing things.

• sticky resin makes great 1st day torches

• I though that resin torches were Nerf'ed.

Alblaka says:

"People using their intellect in attempts to discuss other people into the ground could be considered less intellectual then people using their intellect for something beneficial :3"

• last time i played minecraft i tapped my rubber tree farm for a stack of torches and i'm on 1.2.5