Thread-Creating User Requirements

• What sort of requirements for creating threads do you think the forum should have? 29

1. A time and post count limit (14) 48%
    2. A post count limit (6) 21%
    3. No limits (4) 14%
    4. A time limit (3) 10%
    5. Other (Tell us below) (2) 7%

I've noticed that there has been some scattered talk about imposing Post-Count limits or other limits to forum members before they are allowed to post.
    Example:

And people with less than 20 posts shouldn't be able to create new topics, otherwise some already denied suggestions and other non-sense may appear.

I would just like to hear about your opinions on the matter. Also, do you think it's a good idea at all? Just some questions to think about.
    Also (From when I asked him where this thread would go...) :

Quote from Alblaka

Be advised I'm not sure whether the forum software is capable of such a feature, though.

Anyway, just post below and state your opinion.

EDIT: My opinion is that there should be limits (20 posts, 2 weeks) for Suggestion forum. Not sure about others, though.

EDIT2: I think that Bugs, Support, and Screenshots should all be allowed for new users. Also, this would only limit the creation of threads, not posting on existing threads.

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• Just click on Poll (its right above the Smileys), Enter Pollquestion, Enter up topossible 20 answers and thats all you need. You can also check these two boxes but thats not necessary.

Good Idea to make a Thread on it.

Haikus are poems

Potato

• cannot wait for this to be implemented to the forums. If there is a minimum post counter how high would that be?

Only like 20 posts, and maybe only for making Suggestion threads. (Or, everything but Support and Bugs, those are important)

Haikus are poems

Potato

• I think that it is necessary to be careful when implementing such features. It might be so that while it removes trolls and other unwanted visitors it might also alienate new users to such an extent that they will simply avoid the forum.
    This forum is doesn't have the most clear guidelines about how and where to post things. Making it harder to post wont make things better, at least not in the long run.

• Don't mind my low post count. I just normally lurk here on a semi-professional basis. But agreed. Some sections should be allowed for thread starts, like Bugs/Support/Screenshots(I really like that idea). As for suggestions, it's debatable. If they would actually rub the braincells they have in their head, they'd do a search about their topic instead of just making a thread outright.

But then again, this is the internet, where the lazy truly rule.

• for the sake of argument I voted "Other" here is my light weight proposal for what to try before we escalate to a full n00b crackdown.

basically when a new user starts a tread in the suggestion sub-forum(and ever time after for the next 2 weeks after this first thread) they are taken to a page where they are told the rules and what is expected of them, they then click "I accept" and carry on with starting their thread.

this way we still pump the rules into their heads with minimal inconvenience and if it doesn't work we can always escalate to the "post limit and time limit" rule

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• I think he meant opening threads in places other than Bugs and Support. They can still post in threads, if I understand correctly.

Yes. that's what I meant. Only Bugs and Support should be accessible always, most of the posters there are n00bs anyway.

I think that it is necessary to be careful when implementing such features. It might be so that while it removes trolls and other unwanted visitors it might also alienate new users to such an extent that they will simply avoid the forum.
    This forum is doesn't have the most clear guidelines about how and where to post things. Making it harder to post wont make things better, at least not in the long run.

I disagree. All this will/should do is prevent n00bs from spamming the Suggestions forum with LIGHTNING GENORATOERS!1! It won't make things harder to post, as posting on threads would be fine from the start. It would just limit the creation of threads on newer users. If they are involved and interested, they will quickly accrue enough post count and wait out the time-limit to make threads.

for the sake of argument I voted "Other" here is my light weight proposal for what to try before we escalate to a full n00b crackdown.

basically when a new user starts a tread in the suggestion sub-forum(and ever time after for the next 2 weeks after this first thread) they are taken to a page where they are told the rules and what is expected of them, they then click "I accept" and carry on with starting their thread.

this way we still pump the rules into their heads with minimal inconvenience and if it doesn't work we can always escalate to the "post limit and time limit" rule

This would work too, but there would still be issues. Be honest, how often do you read the Terms of Service when you install a game, or get an update for Xbox? (Or something else, you get my point.) Requiring a post count or a "Trial period" would be much more effective. However, this trial period doesn't need to be very long to be effective. 20 posts and one week would work wonders in my opinion.

And finally... sorry for making a Wall-o-Text, I wanted to answer some questions.

Haikus are poems

Potato

• Official Post

Be honest, how often do you read the Terms of Service when you install a game, get an update for Xbox or something else.

The biggest Lie of the Human Race is "I agree to the Terms of License", right before "If it's not on the first Page of Google, it doesnt exist!" and the answer "Good" for the Question "How are you?".

But if they don't read it then, then we can freely Flame them, with all our Lightningrodimpaling Powers.

• The biggest Lie of the Human Race is "I agree to the Terms of License", right before "If it's not on the first Page of Google, it doesnt exist!" and the answer "Good" for the Question "How are you?".

But if they don't read it then, then we can freely Flame them, with all our Lightningrodimpaling Powers.

Good point, but it won't stop the n00bs from posting in the first place.

Haikus are poems

Potato

• Would it be possible to route new users attempting to make new post to the rules section/suggestion compendium before they can post?

Alblaka says:

"People using their intellect in attempts to discuss other people into the ground could be considered less intellectual then people using their intellect for something beneficial :3"

• Not sure, but that might help.

Guess we will just have to wait to see what admin will do to handle this current problem.

Alblaka says:

"People using their intellect in attempts to discuss other people into the ground could be considered less intellectual then people using their intellect for something beneficial :3"