[Suggestion] Hotfixes and better testing.

• And now is when all you people that complain about how the devs do their things, tell me how much money Mojang pays to them.

Because:

Minecraft has ZERO mod support. None. Nah-duh. These mods are, quite frankly, hacks and breaks instituted into the game to force it to work in a way not intended, and to work with certain designs in mind. If you honestly expected these mods to be bullet-proof (or even close to bullet-proof), then you foolishly forget the truth of what these developers must do to even bring these creations into existence...

By the way, this reminds me [Feedback] To IC2 team

• Official Post

The solution to all this is GIT. It allows a developer to easily work on dev branches, switch back and forth between current and older versions, apply patches/fixes to any version state you ever made within seconds and... it is completely free.

Too mention the obvious, we're using GIT since months. It's just not a public one for afromentioned reasons.

• Quote from Alblaka

Too mention the obvious, we're using GIT since months. It's just not a public one for afromentioned reasons.

Name ? check
    Months ? check
    Private ? check
    Another team member present ? check
    It has to be you. Who else would use such a strange mysterious name.
    But making at least API public is allright, isn't it ?

• Large, if Alblaka doesnt say that this is the LAST Update for 1.2.5 see Blog.

But he did say... well anyways: is this minor-release thing planned for the 1.3.2 version (aka: the future)?

I mean I do love IC² and it is currently the only reason for me to still play Minecraft, however every release so far had it's quirks, e.g. the 1.95 version where water mills weren't working reliable and therefore were useless. Minor releases could be a solution here.

As an alternative it might be an idea to setup a Jenkins-server like the Forge team does. This would allow people to either download the recommended version or a more fixed version with the risk of other bugs, and probably take some release stress from the team. Serious server admins then could then pick the version that works for them the best on their own. I understand that Alblaka does not want to release in-dev versions for the obvious trouble they might cause, however with the help of Git the team could maintain a 'stable' branch on such a Jenkins server that only receives bug-fixes until a new major release is considered done.

• I understand that Alblaka does not want to release in-dev versions for the obvious trouble they might cause, however with the help of Git the team could maintain a 'stable' branch on such a Jenkins server that only receives bug-fixes until a new major release is considered done.

That would be the idea. ;)

• I have to once again say this suggest is needed but it seems the developer team might be totally broken right now internally. From what I been hearing on IRC and such I think there might be some internal restructuring needed and I'm worried some of the devs helping with this project might be getting tired and burned out to the point this might go south really bad.

I want to use this patch 1.103 to be one the worse in times and now that 1.3.2 is out patch 1.106 came out and with a nice revamp to nuclear stuff the worst part of everything was the bugs from 1.103 seem to be 100% there and once again a few new bugs enough to be impossible to run a stable server are in like a new one if you get poison effect with a quantum helm your server goes bye bye.

I love IC and I love all the devs who create addons but I'm losing energy on being able to use it as a Server Admin. I don't even think my bug reports are being read anymore and even if they are I can't even tell my users if will have an update in a week because it usually ends up being in months for major critical bugs that should be truly hot fixed within hours if not a day or 2.

Now that you guys are getting Universal Electricity I fear the IC might have hit its high and might actually die in the coming months.

tlr; IC2 is not worth running anymore for an admin trying run a stable server. To many bugs to many new bugs and never any fixes and the ETA on fixes are the worst thing ever.

Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Server .:Here:.
    Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Let's Play Series .:Here:.

• Now that you guys are getting Universal Electricity I fear the IC might have hit its high and might actually die in the coming months.

Where was this? The only thread to this case that I know of was a guy asking for permission to use the IC2 API for his universal electricity mod

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• Sorry but i have to agree with Kane Hart here. it's something alot of us has been thinking and wanting to say for awhile, there is no excuse for the lack of hot fixes and support for loyal fans here. I see IC2 dying in the near future as well if they don't step their shit up fast. The quality of the work is just sliding down hill, and your beta testers are some lazy ass bums who cant bug test properly for shit. Hire new testers, you don't need to go open source or open betas, just get some real testers and start releasing HOTFIXES!

To you other dicks, stop hating on other ppl for saying something negative about IC2, the truth is the truth, if we took the time to rant about it then obviously we must care about the mod and the devs. If no one says anything, this shit will continue to go on. For now i don't recommend using IC2 on a server in its current condition, cant even say use it now and wait for a hotfix(because you guys dont release those) Instead you wait for another update which is usually for another version of MC, and then the cycle continues. SMH

And why does post count dictate if someone should be taken serious? Eloraam has 1 post count here, and that one post was taken very very serious. I can vouch that Electrobot is a long time user of Ic2 and probably knows more about the mod then 90% of the ppl here would hundreds of post.

God blesses the child that can hold its own.

• To use an old engineer's axiom:

Quick, Cheap, Quality. Pick two.

Cheap has already been chosen for you because... well... FREE.

You want stable releases? Stop pestering for early release. You want early release, expect there to be bugs.

I mean, come on. It's almost literally looking exactly like this:

Fanbase: Y U NO 1.3.2 release?!?
    Greg: buggy
    Fanbase: We don't care! Give us SOMETHING!
    <release>
    Fanbase: Buggy! Y U NO FIX?!?
    <facepalm>

I suppose DW20's server play has done one disservice to the mod authors... he cuts out most of his crashes, because he's trying to produce a show, and crashes take up airtime which could be devoted to content. As a result, people are under the mistaken impression that dev releases are, in fact, mostly stable. Because 'DW20's on a dev server, and it NEVER crashes'. Which isn't actually the case.

To the actual OP: You want hotfixes? You're apparently in a prime position to do something about it. You're already bug-hunting on your own server, right? Well, instead of bellyaching and complaining, you could compile the bug information, including how to reproduce and suspected culprit, and provide that information to the dev team. Suddenly, instead of being Yet Another Griper, you're actually contributing to the mod which you 'love and use', for very little additional effort on your part (posting the collection of bugs you have already researched). It might net better results.

• To the actual OP: You want hotfixes? You're apparently in a prime position to do something about it. You're already bug-hunting on your own server, right? Well, instead of bellyaching and complaining, you could compile the bug information, including how to reproduce and suspected culprit, and provide that information to the dev team. Suddenly, instead of being Yet Another Griper, you're actually contributing to the mod which you 'love and use', for very little additional effort on your part (posting the collection of bugs you have already researched). It might net better results.

Pretty sure he stated he thinks his reports aren't being read anymore. As someone who has played on Kane's server - he does alot of testing and reporting, he is quite obsessive with it IMO - but mod devs need people like him IMHO. A team of Kane Harts testing a mod would have no bugs lol

God blesses the child that can hold its own.

• Pretty sure he stated he thinks his reports aren't being read anymore. As someone who has played on Kane's server - he does alot of testing and reporting, he is quite obsessive with it IMO - but mod devs need people like him IMHO. A team of Kane Harts testing a mod would have no bugs lol

Pretty sure that since it was his first post on the site, he's never posted ANYTHING in the Bugs forum. Kind of hard to read a report that isn't put in the proper location. Maybe he needs to use the proper channels?

There's a big difference between submitting a bug report, or even a series of them, and complaining that things are broke.

• Pretty sure that since it was his first post on the site, he's never posted ANYTHING in the Bugs forum. Kind of hard to read a report that isn't put in the proper location. Maybe he needs to use the proper channels?

There's a big difference between submitting a bug report, or even a series of them, and complaining that things are broke.

You talking about me or someone else lol? I have a few bug reports. Problem is that most the bugs and reports are already duplicated posted and people get more angry at that then they do reporting it twice lol.

Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Server .:Here:.
    Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Let's Play Series .:Here:.

• anyone here is *able* to decompile IC2 and get it's "source".

main problem is qualification, most of *us* not able to use source, who able to use it dont want to waste time especially when devs reject help.

ps. buildcraft opensouce for ages and noone stolen it yet...

• ps. buildcraft opensouce for ages and noone stolen it yet...

There are several licenses available for open source, it doesn't imply it's free for everything. The big hassle however is that if you go open source, you need someone to check all those incoming patch files from other people and whether or not you want them in your code. And with the people coding on IC² already, this could become a full-time job. ;)