Wow, Technic monetization

• neowulf pm'ed me and said he is willing to drop all this and get along if you are. I highly recommend you drop the subject and walk away cause he isn't going to say out of this if you continue to say things that he's considers grossly inaccurate. simply put as long as you don't attack he won't defend and we can all go back to being distant internet acquaintances/friends. I'm sure you raise valid points but really I don't care your effectively preaching to the choir here (with the exception of neowulf) so all the well constructed arguments won't change anything. Technic still exists, alblaka probably won't sue Technic, or weaponize his code, and the Technic users won't suddenly become enlightened and abandon it in droves. Really what do you hope to accomplish from all this? (no one answer that I don't want to give any reason to perpetuate this flame war)

We were discussing things, namely how much money Technic gets off their site. If you don't want is to discuss that, then screw you. We're going to discuss it anyway. I have never heard of or talked to Neowulf before, also we're not in an argument with you. We're trying to discuss figures.

• Now I see why nobody reads tekkit Threads xD
    But they shouldn't be earning money from other peoples work.

• I'm going to attempt to remain neutral here despite my beliefs that Technic is blatant thievery also sorry for the random quotation as I dont have access to a computer right now and my Ipod refuses to cooperate with anything forum related

I say that we all just stop arguing over this as it is pointless, it's honestly like watching an atheist and a hardcore Christian having a religious debate, neither side will ever believe the other, both sides think the other side is made up of ignorant idiots, and both sides have at one point or another made up false information or relied upon the opinions of others with false information

Should this bickering continue, I completely agree with GregoriousT in the thought that you guys should just pick one thread and stick with it

Neowulf While I feel that it is fine to fight for what you believe in, pllease focus on actually arguing instead of psychoanalyzing people, we get it, we all fit into your "typical stereotypes" it's not helping your argument

bbqroast Try to add on to your already existing threads (preferably one thread), you seem like you are just looking to argue for the point of arguing with you creating a new thread on the subject of technic frequently

MagusUnion You also seem like you are arguing just to argue, so far you have stated that you don't have the time to argue and have also stated that you will stop arguing yet you berate Neowulf for doing the same thing

passinglurker No offence meant but, capitalization; my inner grammar nazi just had to say this

I pretty much think that covered everything I felt needed to be said (along with a few things that did not towards a certain known waffle lover) so having typed this post, I am going to attempt to not partake in any further Technic discussion, sit back with some popcorn, and wish you guys a happy flamewar

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• I'm just going to answer direct questions.
    Oh, and respond to crafter.

Has it occurred to you that (unlike the Technic forums) this forum does not have ads?

No, it doesn't, because I don't see them anyway. I offered to turn off ABP on the technic forums when the discussion on how much bandwidth was costing them, kakermix said not to because he doesn't want to force anyone to be subjected to ads.

Neowulf While I feel that it is fine to fight for what you believe in, pllease focus on actually arguing instead of psychoanalyzing people, we get it, we all fit into your "typical stereotypes" it's not helping your argument

Eh, it's fun analyzing people. Defense mechanisms are the most interesting, though watching someone come to terms with their own hollywood delusion is very satisfying.
    And I get to dramatically overact occasionally when I string those cliches together, which is a great outlet for the barrage of broadway musical songs my wife subjects me to.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it!

• Official Post

I did some research and it turns out their host is http://wiredtree.com (they apparently only sell managed vps/servers, i''m just going to ignore that fact)
    I only found traffic costs for VPS
    3TB per month are free, after that you pay 0.25$ per GB (125$ per 500GB) or you could pay 50$ for 500GB beforehand
    That means they probably don't make any money and are officially stupid.

• I'm not really a new member. I just don't talk that much. Mostly I just lurk, check out new addons and ways to use the IC2.

Sometimes though I see things I feel the need to comment on. I saw that post soon after it was made, didn't feel the need to say anything at the time. Probably should have since the post appeared libelous.

• I did some research and it turns out their host is http://wiredtree.com (they apparently only sell managed vps/servers, i''m just going to ignore that fact)
    3TB per month are free, after that you pay 0.25$ per GB (125$ per 500GB) or you could pay 50$ for 500GB beforehand
    That means they probably don't make any money and are officially stupid.

Wow, I'm not sure what is worse. Profiting tons from other people's stuff. Or making tons of money from other people's stuff and throwing it down the drain?
    *conspiracy hat* what if kakermix owns WiredTree and is using this as an excuse*end silly theories*

• It isn't small. But unless you were looking for it instead of just grabbing the launcher you'de never see it. Usually something like that should be front and center and have some anouncement like
    MODS AND THEIR AUTHORS! PLEASE READ! (and donate!)
    To the mainstream player they never see it.

That's a rather cool idea, but a lone tree is suspicious, better plant some more. So really... forget about solar-flowers, solar-trees are the next generation :P

• Dragonherald, you're arguing visual design and layout efficacy.

If you believe you can do better, create a new website layout compatible with the hosting software they use that better directs people towards the modder's homepages.
    If it's legit and not a cheap shot at cheapshot's design skills (pun Fully intended), I will gladly inform them of your work and let you negotiate with them on the use of it.

The website is Good Enough, but never pass up an opportunity to do better.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it!

• Thank you Great Dragonlord Alblaka for handling the 'pro-pacifistic' posts. They were giving me chronic diarrhea with their stupidly peaceful ways...

That means they probably don't make any money and are officially stupid

That's sickeningly dishearting, considering the fact that (last I checked) alba was in a bit of a fiscal pickle and was looking for help from any source available. Honestly, I would rather them have the money and sitting on it in some hidden corner, than some toss-it-in-the wind tactic like this... :-/

Wow, I'm not sure what is worse. Profiting tons from other people's stuff. Or making tons of money from other people's stuff and throwing it down the drain?

I'd go with the latter, as you are perpetuating 'wasteful spending', as that's a global plague on all stretches of the world due to how uninformed people are when entering into market transactions...

Defense mechanisms are the most interesting, though watching someone come to terms with their own hollywood delusion is very satisfying.
    And I get to dramatically overact occasionally when I string those cliches together, which is a great outlet for the barrage of broadway musical songs my wife subjects me to.

And what gives you the right to judge who's 'reality' holds the most truth? Did you create the reality? Are you in charge of the mechanisms behind it? If not, then you honestly need a new hobby, as the only perception you have a right to is your own...

-----------

tl;dr: So I guess Technic isn't smart enough to actually exploit the mods effectively.. but there are still plenty of reasons to dislike them regardless...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• I don't believe I can do better nor will I try. I'm a musician not an website designer I look at notes not at webdesign thingys. I can only offer a suggestion. Make it the first thing a player sees. Player see, player see which mod was made by who it also shouldn't be blue. Blue is a calm color red catches the eye more however red is harsh on the eyes so a nice burgundy would tone it down enough and make it quite noticeable. Then put the launcher down at the bottom of the list in a slightly different color. Green perhaps to catch the players eye so they don't automatically give up. Also checking the site. I now see a donate button. It says they don't accept donations to the mod pack and to forward all donations to the individual modders. I also see just below the launcher the major mods of the modpack. Which was harder to notice than the donate button just as going down through it as a mainstream player. Also. My problem with technic is not that what their doing is a bad thing its the way they go around doing it. It is said that its better to seek forgiveness than to seek permission but that doesn't mean its right. Its helpful it gets players into modding it does all that stuff yes. But it does it by being a dick to the modders.
    EDIT: Whats wrong with broadway? What do you like hate music or something?

That's a rather cool idea, but a lone tree is suspicious, better plant some more. So really... forget about solar-flowers, solar-trees are the next generation :P

Edited once, last by dragonherald ().

• LOL
    the first good lol ive had this whole thread. Go Greg!

Ephesians 4:29
    Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up,
    as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

• Remembered something: I've had alot of support requests from Technic users in the past who have stated that they are required to use their forum ID to log into the launcher, from which to have access to the mods and such to play Minecraft from. Now, this login is based off a Technic forum account, and that in order to use said launcher, you have to register on the forums first.

In this case, would it be possible to count these login actions as site views, which indirectly count as ad views for the site to generate income? Would make sense, but I don't get how the code ties together in that respect...

This is simply wrong. You can download the launcher, and use it without ever having anything at all to do with the forums. The only requirement is that you have paid for Minecraft since you must pass Mojang's login authorization. The launcher is open source as well, so any other suspected sneakiness is easy to refute.

It is stupid rumors like this that cause a lot of the drama imho.