Suggestion: Miner deactivates on redstone signal.

• Hello there.
    I wanted to follow the stickied guide, but it didn't really seem to fit my idea.This doesn't involve any new blocks, just a small change to an existing one.
    I suggest that whenever a miner is supplied with a redstone signal that the miner pulls up its pipes and fills the hole with resources (only those that the miner doesn't deem valuable) from an adjacent chest instead of what it does now.
    This is a more refined and logical way to do things, imho, than pulling up the pipes when the drill is removed.
    It also has the advantage of allowing automated systems to pull up and put down pipes far more easily (admittedly, my main reason for suggesting this).
    if this is done, you could also put a silhouette of a mining pipe in the middle slot (same as the drill and scanner) since the hole is filled with resources from a chest instead.
    Thoughts, comments, ideas?
    thank you.
    p.s. This is my first post, so BEST MOD EVER! :Energy Crystal: :Energy Crystal: :Energy Crystal: :Energy Crystal:

• Hello and welcome to the Forums.

Redstone signal is a new approach to this which could be useful BUT!

I do have to say that Just in case you didn't know, If you remove the Drill from the miner and Place a block (I use nether rack) Where the mining pipes should be, the mining pipes in the ground will be removed and the hole back filled with the block of your choice.

Alblaka says:

"People using their intellect in attempts to discuss other people into the ground could be considered less intellectual then people using their intellect for something beneficial :3"

• Since the Miner implements ISidedInventory its no longer really needed. But a good Idea for people, who dont have RP-Regulators next to the Miner.

Wait... Can you explain that to me? (Kinda New to RP) How can a regulator help?

Alblaka says:

"People using their intellect in attempts to discuss other people into the ground could be considered less intellectual then people using their intellect for something beneficial :3"

• A Regulator can detect items inside an Inventory and gives out a Redstonesignal. I tried to use one for MISEL-Mk-III but its shutting my Massfab down...

I... didn't know that, thanks :)

Alblaka says:

• I suggest that whenever a miner is supplied with a redstone signal that the miner pulls up its pipes and fills the hole with resources (only those that the miner doesn't deem valuable) from an adjacent chest instead of what it does now.
    This is a more refined and logical way to do things, imho, than pulling up the pipes when the drill is removed.
    It also has the advantage of allowing automated systems to pull up and put down pipes far more easily (admittedly, my main reason for suggesting this).
    if this is done, you could also put a silhouette of a mining pipe in the middle slot (same as the drill and scanner) since the hole is filled with resources from a chest instead.

I like this idea.

Since the Miner implements ISidedInventory its no longer really needed. But a good Idea for people, who dont have RP-Regulators next to the Miner.

Please show, how you use them.

• Official Post

I know it. I want to see, how Regulator can help you with Miner. Except keeping enough Pipes. Can you show example?

It could detect the amount of Miningpipes inside the Miner and automatically retract the Drillhead if there are none. But you could also detect EU-Flow to the Miner making that Method expensive and obsolete.

• Why retract the Drillhead when out of Miningpipes? You should add pipes instead.
    Absence of EU-flow can mean also liquid or absence of EU.
    Substituting remaining pipes by cobblestone is not easy task to automate.
    Regulator is not too helpful here.

• I know you can replace the pipes in order to get the machine to retract it, but this way you can do things a bit more easily with automated systems.
    Instead of having to remove the pipes, you can apply a redstone signal, which will put the pipes back in the slot and fill the hole with resources from the chest.
    It means that the centre slot could be a dedicated mining pipe slot, and that if the miner is moved you can remove the signal to have it drill down again.
    This would also work well with minerbased cobblegens too.
    IMO, there isn't any real loss here, its fairly easy to implement, and a bit more intuitive, logical, and cleaner than removing the drill from the chest.

• Couldn't you use a retriever to pull all the drills out of the miners, then filters to put them in? I don't remember how smart the miner is with inventory, and whether it will report a full inventory if it already has a drill in it.

But you could also detect EU-Flow to the Miner making that Method expensive and obsolete.

Why, no.
    It won't need any additional wiring against the method with regulator.

• Since i found this by using the search function, i guess i'll revive this thread =P

An option would be the implementation of redstone behavior just like with power storage. This would satisfy both, the people who want the miner to emit a rs-signal and those who want to change its behavior with rs.

• back to the topic lads?

it could be usefull to interface the miner with redstone signals, this way an miner could for example only turn on when x storage unit is either full or empty etc. just simple power management to me. no other uses :)

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.