The Flying CASUC (CASUC and frames)

• Hello everyone,
    i recently studied a bit around CASUC reactors and while doing that i thought: i want one of those in my mining vessel!
    so i tried to change the design into a "frameable" shape and the result was a 1560EU/t bucket CASUC capable of being moved by frames! i'm still testing it, but it didn't explode for over 9000ticks so i'm pretty optimistic^^
    here are some pictures

that's a picture of the uncovered underside of the reactor. you can see the reactor itself and also that one reactor chamber is missing. when working with frames you have to remove one chamber to connect the reactor itself with a frame. in fact you have to connect everything to the frame, which lead me to a more planar design. all filter visible here are for extracting empty buckets from the reactor. the main construction is 3blocks thick with the first layer visible in this picture. you can see, that i use redstone tubes and jacketed wires to transmit the redstone pulse which is set to 0.4s.

here a picture from the side. i removed the water basin for this side to make the interior better visible. notice the colored redstone tubes. they only connect to transmit the redstone signal but they're unconnected for items. every empty bucked has to go a three tubes long way to reach the deployer.

this is the upper layer. the middle layer is mainly frames and the top reactor chamber, so not worth showing. this part actually gave me the biggest headache, causing two designs to explode until i got it right. the reason is the three tubes long way to the reactor for the buckets, leading to more buckets in the tubes than the reactor needs. that's causing the buckets to block the filter until the reactor needs new buckets. i did two things to improve the performance.
    first: i color-tagged two filter and their pipes. that way excess buckets from one side only block this side and not anything else. it also prevents that one filter get's completly inactive cause every excess bucket goes into it.
    second: notice the three relays. i use them as "dummy outputs". a lot of those excess buckets will go into them instead of the filter, keeping the system working. the only side without such a relay is the one where the jacketed wire comes from below to carry the signal to this layer.
    it could also be important, that the middle tube connected to the reactor is a redstone tube, so the reactor also gets the pulse every 0.4s. i couldn't notice a change in its productivity, but you never know.

this is also the upper side, now covered with frames.

this is the underside again, now with frames and the last components. you can see the lever to deactivate the reactor, which is also where you can enter the reactor itself, putting uranium cells into it and stuff. it also shows the timer and the output for EU.

the reactor setup. simple but effective.

PS: i added some extra buckets than what the deployer and reactor have in store per default to balance the long tubes.

it would have been much easier with tubes and redstone integrated into frames, but you have to work with what you have 8)
    i hope it's somehow interesting for someone.

greetings, Gaxx

• im afraid that you need to use other image hosting site beside imageshack. my ISP is blocking those images. I cannot view those images. imgur maybe?

It's zoomed-out, but it says "Domain Unregistered. To view, register at [insert url here]"

• I'm assuming the crater is due to a previous design that didn't go so well. So, you have filters pulling the buckets out of the deployers. Why not use retrievers to pull the empty buckets out of the reactor? It might save a little bit of space and wiring. May also prevent some jams.

• im afraid that you need to use other image hosting site beside imageshack. I cannot view those images. imgur maybe?
    It's zoomed-out, but it says "Domain Unregistered. To view, register at [insert url here]"

hmmm i'll see into that. i didn't notice this problem since nobody complained when i posted the pictures of my mining vessel.

I'm assuming the crater is due to a previous design that didn't go so well. So, you have filters pulling the buckets out of the deployers. Why not use retrievers to pull the empty buckets out of the reactor? It might save a little bit of space and wiring. May also prevent some jams.

you're right about the crater, but that's also the best part about working with a nuclear reactor (combustion engines also deliver a nice crater) 8)
    i think using retriever would actually increase the wiring since they need blutricity. the extraction of the empty buckets also doesn't have any serious problems with jams. if one filter for buckets is jammed it means that the deployer is already full. in that case another filter with an emptier deployer will get the bucket. it still leads to a simplier design and blutricity isn't really a problem where i want to use it, so i think it's a useful change, thx.

• Official Post

Why not use retrievers to pull the empty buckets out of the reactor?

If i would've done this with my non-mobile CASUC, then it could've went BOOM two times, due to a small lack of Blutricity, which happened after i connected a large Blutricityconsumer (Pump) to the Network. Guess what happens, if you put Framemotors into the same Blutricitynetwork, as the Retrievers.

• This design is simply amazing. I myself have just begun working with frame motors/frames, and I am just beginning to realize their potential.

• Have you heard of the term stupidity? I use it to describe situations where someone attaches a highly volatile, very dangerous nuclear reactor to a flying vessel. Screw nukes, this is how I'm going to be killing people on SMP.

But seriously, this is awesome. Great job! Its not to long before someone builds a functional flying frame base (as in, they build it legitimately and actually use it as their primary base).

• If i would've done this with my non-mobile CASUC, then it could've went BOOM two times, due to a small lack of Blutricity, which happened after i connected a large Blutricityconsumer (Pump) to the Network. Guess what happens, if you put Framemotors into the same Blutricitynetwork, as the Retrievers.

Just a simple issue of making sure that the retrievers have their own Blutricity net. If it's on a frame ship, that shouldn't be too hard. I generally try to make sure that most high power devices have their own power network, just to try and make my life a little less complicated when I'm trying to figure out why something isn't working. IC2 I like centralization, RP2 I tend to de-centralize.

• But seriously, this is awesome. Great job! Its not to long before someone builds a functional flying frame base (as in, they build it legitimately and actually use it as their primary base).

Plan on doing such whenever everything updates for 1.3.1 though i'm probably going to go ice CASUC, assuming frames can move BC pipes. The inital idea was to make a mini-base in the Aether but i'm not 100% sure if that's going to be included on the server. (server != public, sorry)

• Plan on doing such whenever everything updates for 1.3.1 though i'm probably going to go ice CASUC, assuming frames can move BC pipes. The inital idea was to make a mini-base in the Aether but i'm not 100% sure if that's going to be included on the server. (server != public, sorry)

why wait if you could do it now? from idea to tested prototyp this thing took about a day. doing the same with an ice CASUC if you have the knowledge on what's important shouldn't be hard.

Have you heard of the term stupidity? I use it to describe situations where someone attaches a highly volatile, very dangerous nuclear reactor to a flying vessel. Screw nukes, this is how I'm going to be killing people on SMP.

But seriously, this is awesome. Great job! Its not to long before someone builds a functional flying frame base (as in, they build it legitimately and actually use it as their primary base).

it's not stupid, it's SCIENCE!!! *fancymusic*
    but from my own experience i can tell you, that an object with over 20k framesize needs some time to even move one block, so the base idea is something for patient people :D

• why wait if you could do it now? from idea to tested prototyp this thing took about a day. doing the same with an ice CASUC if you have the knowledge on what's important shouldn't be hard.

Mostly because i'm doing a world reset for 1.3.1 (so the temples and such will appear) and plan on firing up the (private*) server again now that logistics pipes has no choice but to be SMP now. That's one of the essential mods I can't play without anymore. Just like IC2 and the q-suit (helmet) here.
    So yeah.. don't want to go through a bunch of effort for something that'll be going away in a few weeks.

*hosted locally at home, only for a friend or two

• Mostly because i'm doing a world reset for 1.3.1 (so the temples and such will appear) and plan on firing up the (private*) server again now that logistics pipes has no choice but to be SMP now. That's one of the essential mods I can't play without anymore. Just like IC2 and the q-suit (helmet) here.
    So yeah.. don't want to go through a bunch of effort for something that'll be going away in a few weeks.

*hosted locally at home, only for a friend or two

can't see your point, since you'll have to create the prototype anyway and i doubt you'll do it in your real world since prototyping something like that leaves nice holes :D
    by what i see an ice CASUC should actually be much easier to frame than a bucket CASUC. to frame the "ice farm" is trivial, you don't need to worry about extracting something which saves complexity and ice stacks, which makes it much RP2 tube friendlier than buckets. i don't know about logistic pipes, but RP2 tubes would "refill" your generator on what is missing and send the rest back till some ice is missing again. you could just spam infinite amounts of ice and never lose something since RP2 tubes never drop items. the system would only "jam" if it's to much, but that just means that you have way more ice than the generator can use which stops the ice production completly till it's needed again, which one the other hand is a good thing.
    if you would give me the exact machinary specifics for a 5chamber ice CASUC (number of machines, upgrades, ice slots in generator etc.) i'm pretty sure i could construct something like that in a few hours.

• can't see your point, since you'll have to create the prototype anyway and i doubt you'll do it in your real world since prototyping something like that leaves nice holes :D
    by what i see an ice CASUC should actually be much easier to frame than a bucket CASUC. to frame the "ice farm" is trivial, you don't need to worry about extracting something which saves complexity and ice stacks, which makes it much RP2 tube friendlier than buckets. i don't know about logistic pipes, but RP2 tubes would "refill" your generator on what is missing and send the rest back till some ice is missing again. you could just spam infinite amounts of ice and never lose something since RP2 tubes never drop items. the system would only "jam" if it's to much, but that just means that you have way more ice than the generator can use which stops the ice production completly till it's needed again, which one the other hand is a good thing.
    if you would give me the exact machinary specifics for a 5chamber ice CASUC (number of machines, upgrades, ice slots in generator etc.) i'm pretty sure i could construct something like that in a few hours.

Doubt it'll produce a hole but right now I really just don't feel like playing minecraft, hence the waiting for 1.3.1. X2: The Threat has been sucking up all my time lately.

as to the ice farm, it's sorta ginormous given I use these to generate ice and need quite a lot of them to make enough.
    Will probably end up leaving that part on the ground given I need 40+. (I kinda forget the exact number)

• hmmm i'll see into that. i didn't notice this problem since nobody complained when i posted the pictures of my mining vessel.

I can see the images just fine and so can several others in the thread (otherwise there wouldn't be any comments on it). Methinks that RealEyesRealLies has something odd going on with his computer, router, ISP or all three.

Back on topic, it's quite neat to see all the little quirks and workarounds that you need to do in order to make the reactor move and function. It's the little things that matter.

GENERATION (Pineapple + i): The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• I can see the images just fine and so can several others in the thread (otherwise there wouldn't be any comments on it). Methinks that RealEyesRealLies has something odd going on with his computer, router, ISP or all three.

Back on topic, it's quite neat to see all the little quirks and workarounds that you need to do in order to make the reactor move and function. It's the little things that matter.

i think im in bad ISP company. i can't infer because i still can't view those images. something fishy around my country's censorship laws.

• i think im in bad ISP company. i can't infer because i still can't view those images. something fishy around my country's censorship laws.

so, everything now uploaded at imagur. if it still doesn't work, well then i have no idea^^

• DayumDamn that's cool. I thought that reactors and frames still had issues, but since they don't, I'm going to try setting up my mobile base.
    It'll be built similarly to a Vogon Space Tower, complete with a world destroyer beam(AKA a high powered array of TC2 diggers with a nuke dropper in the center).

Crab fishing will not be present on this ship, though, due to lack of space crabs.

Apprentice Redstoner, Professional Slacker