Freaky nether portals

• So, I've been having some weird issues with nether portals. In my main world, I built a nether portal, travel through, collect some glowstone, travel back. . . and wind up nowhere near my base. Like, a new portal was created, several hundred blocks away from the original one, solely so I could spawn there. I didn't have a map with me; if there wasn't a big landmark near the portal I would've been screwed.

And tonight, I was exploring a swamp in my test world when I found a naturally generated nether portal. Stuck in the leaves of a tree was a nether portal, fully operational, everything. It didn't go anywhere intersting, but. . . wow.

• Herobrine is in your World! Thats because a Noob was attempting to load Chunk Norris.

Who is Chunk Norris?
    @OP: Something simliar happened to me in my very first world (Beta 1.2).
    I made a Nether portal on top of a hill, went through it and when I came back, I was on the shore about 100-200 blocks away!

The forum won't let me specify my gender accurately, so I'll just use my signature to say that I go by they/them pronouns.

• And new in 1.3:

- Pigzombies can spawn around portals (grinding is useless, around 3 hours for 9 gold)
    - They can drop you in the void upon exiting due to a FIX YO GAME JEB moment - reloading the map when you're falling makes you partially safe.

• And new in 1.3:

- Pigzombies can spawn around portals (grinding is useless, around 3 hours for 9 gold)

"grinding is useless?" Right now I'm imagining 5+ nether portals connected to a mob trap. Add a chunk loader and BAM free gold forever.

And I can't help but wonder if the natural-portal isn't a function of the computer. . . I use OSX, a recent update for java on that system is a bit wonky, JavaScript is super-unreliable( I can't view that nifty reactor-planner, and some things refuse to load.)

• The number I gave applies to a ludicrous amount of portals, and mob spawning doesn't work with chunkloading - it needs any player to be within 144 blocks or 15 chunks.

EDIT: The pigzombie spawning algorithm (thanks redstonehelper): Every minute, 6 checks (1 per portal block) are done. On every check, if a random number between 0 and 2000 is less than the game difficulty (1=easy,2=normal,3=hard), a pigzombie is spawned.

• With all these checks for every single thing in the game you would think there were more efficient ways to do it.

Buildcraft – spilling items.™

• So, a (difficulty) in 2001 chance of spawning a pigman per portal block per minute? If my math is correct, on the hardest difficulty using (say) 50 portals should produce 1 gold ingot and 4 nuggets in 1 hour.

So yeah, this isn't the best strategy for grinding gold. . .
    ( RichardG: "reloading the map while falling makes you partially safe" -- what does 'partially safe' mean? )

• you still have nice ability to land into lava!

on rejoin-relogin-restart-whatever 60 no damage ticks are granted, you may abuse it to survive burning, ever can swim in lava naked if rejoin exactly every 59 ticks.

• Just saw this post from Jeb. Would be nice if they'd stop doing this crap. (like the rapid fire 1.2.x series) I'm sure the forge team isn't going to be pleased at this one...

• Just saw this post from Jeb. Would be nice if they'd stop doing this crap. (like the rapid fire 1.2.x series) I'm sure the forge team isn't going to be pleased at this one...

I think I'm more worried by his most recent tweets on "the snapshot" being released

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

Quote from Jeb

The snapshot will be on the "1.4 track", and not the "1.3.2 bug patch track", in case that makes any sense

Ergo 1.3.2 its only a bugfix for that nether portal problem

P.S:Lawl, aparently zombies and skeletons will be well equipped in 1.4, and villagers zombie too (Its on the right)