First looks at version 1.4

• I would say, that the mod api would likely make installation and distribution a littler easier, for the rest there is Forge :D

And for those that can't use either, there's always Tekkit

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• whynot?

we already have souce via MCP and modapi via forge....

One thing is having "Illegal" or not "Acknowledged" (AKA Closed Source) version of the code and another is having a "legit" or "Acknowledged" (AKA Open Source) version of the code.

With the "illegal" they can say: "Fine you can keep and know about that code, but keep it to yourself and NO COPYING or you are going down" or something to that effect.

The same can't be really say with a "Legal" open source of their code, since they leave it open anyone and their grandmothers are free to do what they please with it, something even blatantly copy their code and they can't really do as much as they could when it was a "Illegal" Closed source.

So as long as Mojang can still sell their game, they will keep it in a (Apparent) tight lid.

Besides, sometimes those decompiled or decrypted "Illegal" versions are not complete or sometimes even broken, and even those who did the decompilation/decryption can only patch/fix it so far.

(At least this is how i see it with my limited knowledge about the issue).

P.S: Notch did say that he would made minecraft open source, but long after the game have dyed out (meaning the game isn't selling as much or none, nor updates to it i guess)

• The same can't be really say with a "Legal" open source of their code, since they leave it open anyone and their grandmothers are free to do what they please with it, something even blatantly copy their code and they can't really do as much as they could when it was a "Illegal" Closed source.

Just because they release unobfuscated code doesn't mean it's open source. That depends on the license you release the code under. Even though you can get the source code, it doesn't mean you are allowed to copy it and release as your creation. If they packed the source code with the game now, it wouldn't change a thing about legality of the mods, it would only make mod development easier.

• I'm officially pessimistic that any sort of mod API will be in 1.4. . . There's been no mention of it in any of the snapshots up till now, and Jeb recently mentioned that "We’re reaching the end of the number of features we want." (For the 1.4 update, which is now being called "the pretty scary update.")

Remember back when the API was slated to be ready sometime in March?

• Remember back when the API was slated to be ready sometime in March?

Remember back when we all believed that? But seriously, I think it is going to be incredibly overrated, sure they are working with Forge people on what should be in it, but honestly can it ever rival Forge for anything like Industrialcraft or Redpower's needs? I think it will honestly just be something that people can use to make new ores, tools, crafting recipes, or maybe basic additional stuff, in other words things that 1000's of mods have done already, not something that will be worthy of the really big mods' use.

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• Remember back when we all believed that? But seriously, I think it is going to be incredibly overrated, sure they are working with Forge people on what should be in it, but honestly can it ever rival Forge for anything like Industrialcraft or Redpower's needs? I think it will honestly just be something that people can use to make new ores, tools, crafting recipes, or maybe basic additional stuff, in other words things that 1000's of mods have done already, not something that will be worthy of the really big mods' use.

I would add, that that API thingy will be buggy, cuz you know, we are talking 'bout Mojang.

• Heh. I may have exaggerated just a little, but just about all software has bugs -- the only software that doesn't is that which is never used for any purpose whatsoever.

Of course, I know what you mean -- Mojang's software has historically been less stable than the average. I submit it's still worthwhile to remember that the average is still not all that great, from the perspective of bugs present.

• It's now official that we won't see the modding api in 1.4
    (https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/246175831037202432)

Instead they redo the lighting system :(

They could've just made the modding api and we all could use the sonic ethers shaders for much better lighting -.-

Oh and btw there have been some statements from notch about releasing the unobfuscated sourcecode or at least
    giving mod developers access to it. But oh well notch has said many things the last few years ;)

• Jeb's reply to being asked if mod support will be provided eventually

Yes, eventually

That looks suspiciously similar to Alblaka's response of the same nature...

Q: are there ever going to be tin or copper crops and if so will they need ore blocks underneath like the iron and gold crops?

Assuming "ever" means "in indefinite team", the formula to your
    answer is INF*x with x being the base chance of implementing the crops.

Regardless of x, the result is INF, thus the answer is "Yes".