Redpower vs IC2 vs buildcraft

• I just got into using logistic pipes to set up some automated crafting tables, which was pretty cool. However ran into some issues when creating solar panels, the "system" would always mess up on refined iron for some reason and you'd have to request the solar panel twice before you actually got one.

Anyways was looking into RP2+tubestuff and it looks kinda neat but... it's a lot more complicated. I can imagine if set up a computer using a ton of wires and stuff(like someone pointed out up top) you could get one running nicely I guess. Would be a lot of work compared to using logistic pipes tho. Beside logistic pipes I really don't use much at all from buildcraft, except maybe the quarries. I use IC2 and Forestry a lot however. I wish the miner had a "quarry" function. Nothing like seeing a big hole being dug out.

I've tried to learn how to use frames properly and thanks to DireWolf20 he made some sense how some of it works.

Setting up a RP2 system with sorting, pipes, automated crafting would be more a lot more material intense then doing it using say logistic pipes? I can imagine it being quite complicated if you for instance don't have a material at hand, say refined iron and you'd need to smelt some iron bars first.

• I wish the miner had a "quarry" function. Nothing like seeing a big hole being dug out.

you can add stone, dirt and gravel to the miner in the config, then this should work

Setting up a RP2 system with sorting, pipes, automated crafting would be more a lot more material intense then doing it using say logistic pipes? I can imagine it being quite complicated if you for instance don't have a material at hand, say refined iron and you'd need to smelt some iron bars first.

don't forget that the logistic pipes themself need high value resources which makes them quite expensive, even though you get a fair amount of pipes for your stuff. and smelting ores also works well. redirect them via a satelite pipe into a refinery complex and extract the wanted resource from a chest.
    but i also had this bug that the logistic pipes calculated the amout of resources wrong for no notable reason when i tried to craft solar panels from UU-matter

• Official Post

I also had this bug that the logistic pipes calculated the amout of resources wrong for no notable reason when i tried to craft solar panels from UU-matter

Redpower has Tubepathfindingbugs, which will cause any System with too many Tubeconnections (like a giant Layer of Tubes), to calculate the Distance wrong, and then choose a Path, which is waaaaaay longer than the wanted Path (no matter how many Restrictiontubes i add!), and ignore my Temp-Store-Chest (which just has one Restrictiontube) in favour of my Autocraftingtables and Macerators (which have 3 Restrictiontubes).

I had to rip off a few "shortcutrestrictiontubes" inside my Autocrafters to fix that Problem.

• Any videos on how to set up an automated crafting table in redpower2? Preferably using something including a furnace in the process to say smelt iron to refined iron. With logistic pipes it's quite easy and straight forward but using redpower2 you'd have to resort to timers and crazy things, no?

• Official Post

Any videos on how to set up an automated crafting table in redpower2? Preferably using something including a furnace in the process to say smelt iron to refined iron. With logistic pipes it's quite easy and straight forward but using redpower2 you'd have to resort to timers and crazy things, no?

The Screenshot on my Tutorial about that is so placed, that you can see every single component of the Machine. And if you have Tubestuff (for Autocraftingtables), then you can also use Retrievulators for Autocrafting/Autosmelting/Automacerating/...

• Redpower has Tubepathfindingbugs, which will cause any System with too many Tubeconnections (like a giant Layer of Tubes), to calculate the Distance wrong, and then choose a Path, which is waaaaaay longer than the wanted Path (no matter how many Restrictiontubes i add!), and ignore my Temp-Store-Chest (which just has one Restrictiontube) in favour of my Autocraftingtables and Macerators (which have 3 Restrictiontubes).

I had to rip off a few "shortcutrestrictiontubes" inside my Autocrafters to fix that Problem.

even though logistic pipes and in this case especially crafting pipes SHOULD work on a totally different concept i noticed that this problem is somehow connected, since all melting worked correctly once i had redesigned this "pipelayer" into a more disconnected, linear form. it still messes up with the rubber production, probably because you need a damn lot of it to make a solar panel. once you order more solar panels it gets confused with to much stacks at once.
    and i know that a single-purpose-production is better to realise with a RP2 system, but the advantage of crafting pipes is to build an all-purpose-production complex, which is much smaller than a RP2 one, since you only need one crafting table for every component ever.
    also, it's funny enough that this is best used for RP2 gates, since they're ridiculously complex constructions out of many subcomponents. with logistic pipes i just throw the raw materials into a chest, tell my request pipe that i want 3timer, 2 NOT's and an OR and ZAP, everything delivered fast and without me messing up because i miscalculated the resources somewhere.
    so i think it's a very useful system for more complex things you need a lot but not permanently, like logic gates, block breaker, filter, etc.

• Official Post

even though logistic pipes and in this case especially crafting pipes SHOULD work on a totally different concept i noticed that this problem is somehow connected, since all melting worked correctly once i had redesigned this "pipelayer" into a more disconnected, linear form. it still messes up with the rubber production, probably because you need a damn lot of it to make a solar panel. once you order more solar panels it gets confused with to much stacks at once.

FUN-Fact: My RP-based System produces Solarpanels faster than Windmills!

and i know that a single-purpose-production is better to realise with a RP2 system, but the advantage of crafting pipes is to build an all-purpose-production complex, which is much smaller than a RP2 one, since you only need one crafting table for every component ever.
    also, it's funny enough that this is best used for RP2 gates, since they're ridiculously complex constructions out of many subcomponents.

Logisticspipes are costing 2 Blocks (Craftingtable + Pipe), 4 Blocks if you need Satellites. My Autocraftingsystem needs 5 Blocks (under the condition that Retrievulators are not touching), not matter how complex and Singleitem-Stacklasty the Recipe is. These 1-3 Blocks diffrence are not that much.

with logistic pipes i just throw the raw materials into a chest, tell my request pipe that i want 3timer, 2 NOT's and an OR and ZAP, everything delivered fast and without me messing up because i miscalculated the resources somewhere.

MY SYSTEM IS EVEN FASTER THAN LOGISTICSPIPES!!! Because the Items are already there and ready to take, and when i add Magtubes to Mk-II, then its 20 Times faster, HAYO!!!
    Here a small overview of Autocrafting-Mk-I, how i currently use it (guess where the Autocrafter for Nuclearreactors is)

• MY SYSTEM IS EVEN FASTER THAN LOGISTICSPIPES!!! Because the Items are already there and ready to take, and when i add Magtubes to Mk-II, then its 20 Times faster, HAYO!!!
    Here a small overview of Autocrafting-Mk-I, how i currently use it (guess where the Autocrafter for Nuclearreactors is)

i hope you noticed that your definition of "efficient production" somewhere twisted into "production in abundance". it's somehow like people forget the value of money and work once they have more money than they'll ever need. :(

• Official Post

i hope you noticed that your definition of "efficient production" somewhere twisted into "production in abundance". it's somehow like people forget the value of money and work once they have more money than they'll ever need. :(

Yes, you found the only Downside of this Device, but since its way too easy to aquire these Resources, its not that relevant. If you have a few IC²-Minersetups or a Frametunnelbore, then you already have enough resources, and you need only the resources to craft the Components twice (one for the Blueprint in the Retrievulator and another one for the Requestcontainer), before it starts producing, so it wastes only 1 produced Item more, than Logisticspipes.

And isnt it the sence of Autocraftingsystems to massproduce Stuff?

• Yes, you found the only Downside of this Device, but since its way too easy to aquire these Resources, its not that relevant. If you have a few IC²-Minersetups or a Frametunnelbore, then you already have enough resources, and you need only the resources to craft the Components twice (one for the Blueprint in the Retrievulator and another one for the Requestcontainer), before it starts producing, so it wastes only 1 produced Item more, than Logisticspipes.

And isnt it the sence of Autocraftingsystems to massproduce Stuff?

na, the waste doesn't come from the setup for the autocrafting, it comes from the continuous crafting. as i explained with the logic gates, you may need some more complex things so often that it's worth putting up an autocrafting complex (that's actually the reason why every programming language has functions), but you only need them on demand when you want to build something new and not endlessly.
    for example: why would you need a chest full of nuclear reactors? it makes sense to build a setup for this since they are very complex and a pain to build manually, but you won't need them permanently.
    i don't like the idea of just throwing resources into my complex to make it work properly when i won't need 80% of the stuff it produces.

• Official Post

na, the waste doesn't come from the setup for the autocrafting, it comes from the continuous crafting. as i explained with the logic gates, you may need some more complex things so often that it's worth putting up an autocrafting complex (that's actually the reason why every programming language has functions), but you only need them on demand when you want to build something new and not endlessly.
    for example: why would you need a chest full of nuclear reactors? it makes sense to build a setup for this since they are very complex and a pain to build manually, but you won't need them permanently.
    i don't like the idea of just throwing resources into my complex to make it work properly when i won't need 80% of the stuff it produces.

My Chest is actually a Projecttable and it contains: one Reactor, four Reactorchambers, 32 Windmills, 32 Solarpanels, 4 Generators, 8 Machineblocks, 8 Advanced Machineblocks and 16 Watermills. After these specified amounts are reached, my System automatically stops producing these. Do you really think i would autocraft all that without Limit? I already had problems at Producing the 256 Windmills for my Windtower, because of going low on Iron.

Of course i'm not only producing IC²-Generators, the complete List can be seen in my Profile. And anything except UUM has a Productionlimit.

The Screenshot on my Tutorial about that is so placed, that you can see every single component of the Machine. And if you have Tubestuff (for Autocraftingtables), then you can also use Retrievulators for Autocrafting/Autosmelting/Automacerating/...

Just curious about that contraption you've built, are all those machines required just to create that item, ie wood to planks?

• Official Post

Just curious about that contraption you've built, are all those machines required just to create that item, ie wood to planks?

If you mean the Craftingtables than no, they are not all needed, just one of those is needed (they consist out of the Autocraftingtable, a Retriever, a Retrievulator and the In- and Output-Tubes). With the Setup on the Screenshot you can recursively autocraft up to six diffrent Recipes (and its easyly expandable).

But now i have to add my new fast (Snowgolemfree) Snowballproductionsystem (these Snowballs can then be converted to Ice of course).

If you mean the Craftingtables than no, they are not all needed, just one of those is needed (they consist out of the Autocraftingtable, a Retriever, a Retrievulator and the In- and Output-Tubes). With the Setup on the Screenshot you can recursively autocraft up to six diffrent Recipes (and its easyly expandable).

But now i have to add my new fast (Snowgolemfree) Snowballproductionsystem (these Snowballs can then be converted to Ice of course).

Is it possible to download that map in the screenshot with the autocrafting?

• Official Post

Is it possible to download that map in the screenshot with the autocrafting?

Uhhhm yes, but the giant Crater, where the small Setup was, is not really helpfull.

The GregTower2 (which contains the most recent Version of that + many other usefull Stuff), will be Downloadable as soon as IC², Redpower and Tubestuff are updating to 1.3.2, because then i will directly start a new World.

• Is it possible to download that map in the screenshot with the autocrafting?

don't let the size confuse you, the actual idea is very simple.
    it works like every autocrafting device with retrivulator, but the key difference is that the input chest (or whatever) is also the output chest where the products go into. that way the different crafting tables can use the products of each other by connecting them all to the same input and you only need one table for every item.
    you can modify this to fit your needs, but that's the basic idea how it works.
    try it with a wood to sticks production or something, you'll grasp the concept in no time

• Simplicity rules for me. I don't need to do anything overly complicated or compact so I don't care about having the most efficient or lag free design.

I use RP2 tubes for automated storage and that's it. They're absolutely wonderful for this. Have a network of tubes attached to chests and anything entering the system will be stored in a quick and compact manner. No sorting or micro-management needed. The chests won't be organized in any way but that's where...

BC and Logistics pipes are the simplest way to transfer items to where you need them. I hook a provider pipe up to every storage chest and a request pipe to anywhere I want materials. Easy. I put up kiosks in high traffic areas and simply order any random items I may need. My chests don't need to be organized in any way when I can have a list view of every item available in my network.

In my opinion, the only people who are serious about dropping BC are the extreme design folks. If you're interesting in building the ultimate machine that does everything you want without lagging, RP2 is probably superior. If you're an average user that just wants to accomplish a goal, BC seems like the easier way to do it.

Simplicity rules for me. I don't need to do anything overly complicated or compact so I don't care about having the most efficient or lag free design.

That's like the exact opposite of me, I typically build a version 1.0 of a machine, then make any changes possible to make it lag-free/more compact/faster, in this way it may take more time but the end result is a machine worth putting into an auto-factory

In my opinion, the only people who are serious about dropping BC are the extreme design folks. If you're interesting in building the ultimate machine that does everything you want without lagging, RP2 is probably superior. If you're an average user that just wants to accomplish a goal, BC seems like the easier way to do it.

I'm not really an extreme design person (Except when it comes to redstone traps, I make practical stuff, and not much in the way of Greg's request pipes without BC installed) and I have never seriously used BC. I find that RP2 is easier for three main reasons even for average users.

1. It's redstone based (without dealing with blutricity which isn't actually that complicated), meaning there's a sort of basis in vanilla minecraft for people to transition from vanilla to modded gameplays more easily than BC.

2. RP2 adds practical devices for easier creation of mechanisms, BC doesn't do much in the way of making small amounts of items (quarries are kind of neat/good for easy large scale excavation) and real world blocks move and make stuff happen with them, while RP2 has Block Breakers, Deployers, Assemblers, Frame Motors, Frames, Item Detectors, and Pumps (I am aware that BC also has pumps) for accomplishing exactly this.

3. Logic, when it comes to "accomplishing a goal" which for me, typically boils down into some (sometimes complex) redstone work, I turn to RP2 for its easy to use (as long as you aren't trying to make a frame ship or equally complex thing) logic gates. If you need a redstone signal exactly every 1.65 seconds, there's a timer for that. If you need a 128 tick delay, are you going to place down 32 repeaters? If you answered no to that question, congratulations you aren't certifiably insane! RP2 can fulfill that in a single block's space with its Repeater. When you need a way to trigger a device after another device has run a certain number of times, are you going to use a complex piston array to trigger it, or are you just going to simply plop down an RP2 Counter?

My point with all of these reason is that BC doesn't always offer ways to do things that RP2 can do, or it isn't "the easier way to do it", therefore for two average users, one using BC and one using RP2, the one using RP2 will always have an easier time with creating redstone reliant mechanisms (this may not be the case with you, and certainly not all people, but most of my stuff involves redstone in some way), and when it comes to IC2, when you place your mass fabricator in your base, are you going to want to use teleport pipes/ender chests with a way of making fuel hooked up to a combustion engine just to power a quarry, or are you going to use SpwnX's extremely efficient, and completely clockless cobblestone generator completely reliant on RP2, for scrap generation?

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• when you place your mass fabricator in your base, are you going to want to use teleport pipes/ender chests with a way of making fuel hooked up to a combustion engine just to power a quarry, or are you going to use SpwnX's extremely efficient, and completely clockless cobblestone generator completely reliant on RP2, for scrap generation?

i seriously hope you don't set up a quarry just to fuel your massfab XD
    and to say that RP2 is better at redstone than BC is like saying cars move faster than humans. that's what it was originally invented for.
    on a side note: the worst lagging system i ever created was the logic system for my mining ship with RP2, even when all timer are idle i get enough lags for a double click bug and if i remove the right bundles it gets up to 0,2 fps lags. with that said, RP2 isn't all that lag resistant 8)

i seriously hope you don't set up a quarry just to fuel your massfab XD

Yeah, it was for example's sake, no I don't actually do that

and to say that RP2 is better at redstone than BC is like saying cars move faster than humans. that's what it was originally invented for.
    on a side note: the worst lagging system i ever created was the logic system for my mining ship with RP2, even when all timer are idle i get enough lags for a double click bug and if i remove the right bundles it gets up to 0,2 fps lags. with that said, RP2 isn't all that lag resistant 8)

Was it the logic system or the frames? Because I would think a frame engineer such as yourself would be sort of used to the kind of lag that can be caused by frames

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l