Redpower vs IC2 vs buildcraft

• Official Post

i seriously hope you don't set up a quarry just to fuel your massfab XD
    and to say that RP2 is better at redstone than BC is like saying cars move faster than humans. that's what it was originally invented for.
    on a side note: the worst lagging system i ever created was the logic system for my mining ship with RP2, even when all timer are idle i get enough lags for a double click bug and if i remove the right bundles it gets up to 0,2 fps lags. with that said, RP2 isn't all that lag resistant 8)

The Doubleclick-Lag happens only when the Client lags, what means that you may have Renderingproblems with all those Microblocks inside your Framemachine. Optifine could help you in that Case. But it can also be the fact, that moving Frames are causing large Lag.

• Was it the logic system or the frames? Because I would think a frame engineer such as yourself would be sort of used to the kind of lag that can be caused by frames

the double-click could be me by what greg said. but if i break something it may cause "flickering" in the logic system, reducing everything to slowmotion. happens when you have multiple circuits that block each other so only one at a time can be activated and by accident you activate them all at once. they're permanently trying to dominate each other, causing them to flicker on/off. quite funny to watch actually

• the double-click could be me by what greg said. but if i break something it may cause "flickering" in the logic system, reducing everything to slowmotion. happens when you have multiple circuits that block each other so only one at a time can be activated and by accident you activate them all at once. they're permanently trying to dominate each other, causing them to flicker on/off. quite funny to watch actually

Yeah, I've experienced those before in my experiments with piston based clocks and RS NOR Gates, as well as in accidental activation of two opposing frame motors attached to the the same ship causing a constant switch in direction and basically invincible frames until they finally stopped

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• The issue with RedPower is that if you can do something with it - there is a mod with something that can do it better or in more simple way - with a magic block. Well... some frame machines are exceptions for now.
    Treefarm/other farms? Forestry can do it with a magic block - no need to make a control circuit of computer.
    Quarry? Well... WayOfTime made a nice frame quarry, Direwolf made a frame quarry too. The are different, but each of them is awesome, but... Well, BuildCraft quarry and miner are far more simple than these frame machines. And with WayOfTime-style quarry you have to use any mod with big chests or enderchests, since there are only a small room for a chest.
    Sorting/autocrafting? Logistic pipes... I don't use them (and buildcraft/forestry too), but... well, they are simple, compact and very handy with that "requests" system and other stuff.
    Computers. Well, how often did you hear something like "I can't understand FORTH, I'll use computercraft and Lua". RP computer is awesome, but not very "user-friendly".

I really like RP, and I don't use BC, Forestry, computercraft and Logistics pipes, but I think it is an issue - you can't build with RP Blocks something better(or, at least, more simple), than one can code and make a mod.

Cutiemark crusaders - engineers, Yay!
    Blown up: Industrial Blast Furnace, Industrial Wiremill, Singularity compressor, Extractor.

• RP2 is hard. Just learning it is annoying and time consuming. Like the above poster said everything you can do in RP2 you can do with other mods using "magic" blocks. Simplicity wins. It's that simple. While it can be "fun" to create something complex it gets quite tedious having to do it over and over again for everything you do, which in this case is RP2. As long there are mods around that does the same thing RP2 does but way easier, people will keep using those mods. RP2 just isn't very user friendly.

• RP2 is hard. Just learning it is annoying and time consuming. Like the above poster said everything you can do in RP2 you can do with other mods using "magic" blocks. Simplicity wins. It's that simple. While it can be "fun" to create something complex it gets quite tedious having to do it over and over again for everything you do, which in this case is RP2. As long there are mods around that does the same thing RP2 does but way easier, people will keep using those mods. RP2 just isn't very user friendly.

I don't know if you're talking bout RP frame quarries or RP computer.

Cuz the other things of RP are just simply awesome or/and usefull.

• In my opinion, anyone can dump some stuff on the ground and wire it up to get instant-win situations.
    Less are able to construct actual systems that promote innovativity and creativity.
    I imagine a BC world where everyone just tries to get the most stacks of quarry machines and I see the RedPower world as a world where people actually try to compete with each other using intelligence instead of spamming the same over and over again.

Buildcraft – spilling items.™

• In my opinion, anyone can dump some stuff on the ground and wire it up to get instant-win situations.
    Less are able to construct actual systems that promote innovativity and creativity.
    I imagine a BC world where everyone just tries to get the most stacks of quarry machines and I see the RedPower world as a world where people actually try to compete with each other using intelligence instead of spamming the same over and over again.

You're right. Reminds me of mmo's. Back in the "old" days they didn't balance the game around the "average" player. It was all about the hardcore-pro player. Then came WoW and changed everything, now to be able to compete they "need" millions of players and the game has to be easy to play.

It's the same with RP2 imo. I love RP2 don't get me wrong. But it's very confusing and hard to set up properly. Especially when there are other mods around that does the same, far easier. Obviously if you're using RP2 often you've got over the "hard" part of the mod and can fully appreciate it. For someone like me just reading and watching the mod, it's all very confusing. The only guy that properly explained in a way that I could understand how frames worked was DireWolf20. Most of you are pro at RP2, you know how to make things, but when explaining to someone like me, it just doesn't make any sense. For example just slapping on a logistic pipe and adding a chip, vs building a very complex system, which I don't even understand half of, becomes quite tedious. Also RP2 seems quite material intense, for example needing 2 of those ender pearl, I barely even see any of those around.

• Well, I really don't like magic blocks. The point I have is that they often perform their task better than RP2-contraption with the same purpose, But it is... well, sometimes it is not fun. I like to make contraptions, and observe them while they are working. It is a nice feeling ^_~
    Speaking about RP2 contraptions, this is an RP2 treefarm. Controlled by a single computer, and can be extended up to 16 trees without any changes of the code:

Cutiemark crusaders - engineers, Yay!
    Blown up: Industrial Blast Furnace, Industrial Wiremill, Singularity compressor, Extractor.

Edited once, last by Kuu ().

• Sorry if I reacted a little heated, You are right about that.
    I have fun creating inter-lapping machines, another may not.
    It all depends on players preference.

Buildcraft – spilling items.™