[Suggestion] Circuit Board

• Salutations, dear IndustrialCraft² Forums! Esteel once again, distributing an idea that's been rolling around for some time now. I want to take a moment, however, and express my grief and disappointment that my suggestion for the Improved Booze System was met with much enthusiasm and positive remarks, but ultimately faded into the background due to inactivity. I'd still like to see that thread gain activity, but I can be content knowing that it received high prestige within the forum. Moving on to the task at hand. The term "Circuit Board" seemed like a fairly simple concept to me, so I performed a search of the forum, and to my surprise and slight dismay, this returned no results! I attempted a few variations, but still to no avail. Therefore, I apologize if this has been implemented as a suggestion before, as I sincerely attempted to locate a similar idea.

This idea was spawned from a distaste in attempting to wire either redstone or IC wires with very limited space. Usually, my hair-brained inventions will end up working -- at the cost of miles and miles of lost block real estate. Simply to create a 3x2 piston door, my most compact design is still bulky because of the unnecessarily complex redstone wiring. My errors with crossing wires in IC items also tends to infuriate me, due to that same limitation of space. This is where the circuit board idea was born. I dreamt up this idea for a pressure-plate-like item that could be placed upon any surface, like the side, bottom, top, ect. This plate would then have an interactivity which opens a new interface, offering only a 10x10 item grid, highly resembling an inventory screen.

- Circuit board
    3 are crafted by using 2 sand and one Electronic Circuit in the center row, horizontally: Sand, Circuit, Sand.

Within the 8x8 space of the item (the outter layer is grayed, making the grid go from 10x10 to a workable space of 8x8 -- this outer area is solely for circuits entering or exiting), redstone and copper wires may be placed the exact same way that they could be placed on the ground. One redstone or wire would take one space in the grid, along with two new items -- an Interface Node and an Isolator Node. I will discuss these two new items below:

- Interface Node
    This new item could be crafted by crafting 1 redstone and 1 copper wire together in any pattern. This node will take up a 3x3 space on the board, and is used to directly power the air block that the plate sits within, the same as if redstone or wire were where that Circuit Board with the Interface Node sat. An Interface Node may accept or release power, such as to accept power from a button or plain redstone placed on the ground, or to release power to a piston the circuit sits on. Alternatively, the node may accept power from a generator, or release the power to a load the node board is adjacent or attached to, such as a luminator or machine.

- Isolator Node
    This node is critical to making this suggestion useful. Five Isolator Nodes are made by Redstone and Sand, in any pattern. This node may be dyed, and when placed upon the board, redstone and wiring place upon this 1x1 node will not connect to a node of a different color. This means that redstone or wiring on a red isolator line will not connect to redstone or wiring (respectively) on a blue isolator line.

Board Connectivity
    Two boards that are adjacent, meaning an edge in common, will transfer power across lines placed on the outter gray edge of the board, illustrated below:

Onto benefits and downsides:
    Pros:
    1. System allows for highly complex or heavily paralleled wiring without losing huge amounts of real-estate.
    2. Allows for vertical redstone without changing vanilla items.

Cons:
    1. Extremely costly to create, because one circuit board of redstone requires 10 to move across the board once, and only covers one block of actual conduit.
    2. Extremely easy to break a complex system.

That should about cover everything that is needed to be covered. As usual, if anyone has any questions, comments, or something they want to add or change, I'm all ears. Brewmaster Esteel, raising a mug to another day in the forums! Cheers!

Generosity is never bought or sold, neither paid for nor invoiced. It is simply given, and met with gratitude.

Have a Look: Improved Booze System

• Aye. I'm not looking to create entire circuits on a single block. This came about, as I said, because of frustrating space limitations with complex circuits. Primarily, parallel circuits that were taking miles of real estate. This system could turn those massive systems into simple, managable 8 or 9 blocks, while still having the balance of requiring the same mileage of redstone and materials.

Generosity is never bought or sold, neither paid for nor invoiced. It is simply given, and met with gratitude.

• Would it be possible to use switch/detector cables and redstonetorches/repeaters?

The forum won't let me specify my gender accurately, so I'll just use my signature to say that I go by they/them pronouns.

• I apologize for the delayed response. My college classes began today. As for repeaters -- the system would be designed around needing complex wiring in a very small space. This would negate the use for repeaters as a signal extender. However, for timing uses and lengthening times between pulses or charges -- that would likely need to be implemented in some way.

Directed to Sebra -- I apologize; I'm not familiar with this acronym, and can't think off-hand what you might be referring to. If it's a system I've used before or a logic base, this is simply a method of condensing the vanilla system into a very small space.

• Sebra was talking about RedPower 2. And college classes...ugh. I feel your pain, man. >.<;;;

On topic - it took me a couple reads to understand how this would all work, but I like it very much. Might even save on processing speed.

• OH -- Redpower 2. I've heard the name a few times, but I haven't used it myself. Should I look into it?

Yes. Yes you should

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• OH -- Redpower 2. I've heard the name a few times, but I haven't used it myself. Should I look into it?

Absolutely, anything you would ever want to automate is possible with it.
    +Frames are the best thing ever. Mobile everything.

Buildcraft – spilling items.™

• Oh boi, another post by Esteel...
    *Reads*
    About your other thread- For whatever reason, good threads seem to dissapear into the second page, while crap spammy ones are on the first. A sort-by-rating default might be nice, and people using the the rating system would be nice too.

About the idea- It's excellent. Awesome. It's got pros and cons, which most suggestions don't. I would really like this, as it would make IC2 wiring easier.

About this bullet- It makes you think that I said some more interesting stuff :P

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• Heck yeah! My friend tried to code this a long long time ago. Now ComputerCraft has been defunct for a long time, and the name has been used by another mod.

1. OMG CREEPER RUN AWAY!
    2. Go away, you creeper wierdo!
    3. What ever, I'll just go around.
    4. Hup, over their heads I go!
    5. Okay Mister living grenade, I'm going to knock you into those skeletons, and I'll follow through with a nano saber. Understood? FOR THE ALMIGHTLY DRAGON LORD!

• I did have a look into RP2, so I'll officially say that this suggestion would just make for a wiring modifier. After playing around with RP2, I will stick to this suggestion just for ease of wiring in the same way that RP2 brings ease of redstone. Cheers!

This belongs into the RP realm, in my eyes.

If Eloraam ever reads IC2 forums, let's hope it will be there someday.

Its already there in form of the Computer.

Computer from RP2 makes you go for learning FORTH to understand simple basics, this thingy doesn't.
    And i don't think much MC mod players wan to learn programming to play a game.

• Computer from RP2 makes you go for learning FORTH to understand simple basics, this thingy doesn't.
    And i don't think much MC mod players wan to learn programming to play a game.

It literally took me ten minutes to learn the basic commands on how to save commands, make "macros", activate wires by colour and at aprropriate time. If you're not willing to do that, GL playing any of the more advanced mods(IC, RP, etc.). The fact is that you've already spent way over an hour even on learning just IC if you know what each of the machines do and how the wiring system works.