Refueling reactors is tedious, annoying, and far too frequent. Boost the fuel life.

• Now that CASUCs are gone, building a viable reactor requires a much more complex internal layout than before. A lot of parts have to go in the right places, and so on.

This makes the tedium of refueling every 2.4 hours or so even more irritating, and quite honestly makes reactors a waste of time compared to wind mill spam. Reactors are fun, but you'll get more consistent power output per hour of gameplay spamming those windmills.

Real life nuclear reactors have a big advantage : once fueled, they can run for years without refueling. The latest reactors used in aircraft carriers can power the ship for 25 years before refueling.

I suggest the following changes :

Increase fuel life in reactors by 10 to 20 times. This means they would last between 24-48 hours without refueling, at least.
    To avoid disrupting uranium rarity and balance, increase the uranium ore needed to make fuel by a similar factor. For instance, the new uranium refining method would be macerate the ore, then place a stack of 20 uranium dust in the compressor to get the uranium ingot.

Add a new reactor component : the "U-235 target plate". This would be made by compressing a bunch of uranium ingots together. This target plate would then need to be placed in the reactor and exposed to a HUGE flux of neutrons, much more than are needed for breeding. (so it would require a skilled, advanced reactor design)

After enough neutron exposure, the target plate becomes a "plutonium plate". You would be able to make plutonium fuel cells from this plate, which would last almost forever inside a reactor, and they would be a required component for the nuclear bomb. (instead of the current lame recipe).

Making the nuclear bombs this much more complex and expensive would possibly make them more viable on multiplayer servers since griefers can't log in and get them in 1 hour.

• While I agree the reactor time is rather unrealistic, there are several game-design factors that make it a better choice to have them refilled frequently. For once to craft your version of Uranium a player would have to gather up to 80 Uranium ore before a currently entry-level reactor could be crafted, which means you probably already have a wind farm generating way more power anyways, and on the other hand having a permanent, almost infinite power source is kind of imbalancing if the player has it too early in the game.

As a compromise I think an additional version of Uranium fuel for when you have too much Uranium anyways might be a better idea. Basically a condensed Uranium cell that is made out of 20 Uranium ingots and while giving the same amount of EU it just lasts 20 times as long as a standard Uranium cell and can be used wherever a standard Uranium cell could be used as well.

• something as buildcraft advanced pipes, a couple of redstone, and you can easily make a self refiling nuclear reactor...

The Viper will hide in the shadows... unseen... unheard... and when you least expect, she strikes.

• I have made self-refilling nuclear reactors. They are very very complex machines, at least 10x more complicated than a mere CASUC. There's computers, filters, sorting machines, relays, lots and lots of mag tubes, lots of wiring bundles, and so on.

The only way these were even viable was that you could get 2000 EU/tick from a CASUC with no materials requirements other than more uranium. And, to be worth it, you needed to have a bank of at least 4 to 6 2000 EU/tick casucs to be worth all the effort.

I actually built a self-refilling reactor bank that also ran a bank of breeders automatically, for a fully automated complete fuel cycle.

Anyways, these are now pointless - 300 EU/tick or whatever is not worth it.

• It isnt a big deal, really, i think there is a addon for buildcraft wich adds many pipes (i think its advanced pipes), one of them is a wood pipe with filters.

Filter out the waste, and use a induction pipe at the entrance... (things will only enter if they can, if not, they will follow an alternate path)

NEXT

The Viper will hide in the shadows... unseen... unheard... and when you least expect, she strikes.

Now that CASUCs are gone, building a viable reactor requires a much more complex internal layout than before.

Working as orginially intended...

My only comment is... Deal with it.

I'm glad you people don't really have any actual control over the mod development otherwise reactors would output 999999999999Eu/t and could be made of simple sticks and stones.

Damn Truth...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Official Post

I'm glad you people don't really have any actual control over the mod development otherwise reactors would output 999999999999Eu/t and could be made of simple sticks and stones.

I see an Integeroverflow over there. That must be a Bug from FenixR's Software. Also you forgot the Config, which can actually do that, what is a second Bug. I think i have to talk to your Mom Dev about that. :D

Anyways, when Redpower is out, we can easyly refuel our Reactors. And the Quadcell having four times less Duration-Bug is also fixed in the mythical next Version.

999999999999Eu/t

just use long for this...

everything we need is rod's regenerator made of hurge amount of uran (similar to CF Pack) and when placed inside reactor GUI, time to time regenerate uran rods, this will effectively fix every possible problem with reactor refuel at cost of 1 slot.

• Or you know, it could have been a stupid char because im not doing any calculations with it (And im clearly using other character besides numbers so... yeah the bug is on you greg). Also considering the intelligence of most people, i doubt they even know either of the config file or how to use it.

• My only comment is... Deal with it.

Agreed...but you have to admit that the bomb...the bomb should really be more complex...that would actually be a good suggestion...make nuke recipe a lot more complex.

mcmz4e aka MaryuZ aka 2.muCh.Pride