Trees as a crop

• What about adding tree saplings as a crop? Most of the vanilla trees would be purely decorative (such as birch and jungle trees) with a small chance of dropping saplings if harvested when fully grown. Oak trees could drop apples at a low rate as well, but that's not really the point of this suggestion.

The point is, what about adding new trees, available only through IC2 agriculture cross-breeding? I can't think of any at the moment, but new wood colors, higher wood yield, or other desirable attributes would be cool.

• Official Post

What about adding tree saplings as a crop? Most of the vanilla trees would be purely decorative (such as birch and jungle trees) with a small chance of dropping saplings if harvested when fully grown. Oak trees could drop apples at a low rate as well, but that's not really the point of this suggestion.

The point is, what about adding new trees, available only through IC2 agriculture cross-breeding? I can't think of any at the moment, but new wood colors, higher wood yield, or other desirable attributes would be cool.

As FenixR said, if you want wood colors get EXBL.
    Me want Apple crop naw!

• Well, there's a reason I said "and other desirable characteristics"...

Since, obviously, people don't like the wood colors idea...
    What about oak trees with a percentage chance to drop an extra log, maybe (if possible) having this percentage based on the crop's 'gain' stat?
    Or just really large/tall trees, which provide a lot of wood, or are useful for structures?
    Or tin and copper trees/bushes, which, if they grow on a dirt block above a 3x3 chunk of copper or tin ore, they have a small chance of their leaves or logs growing as Tin Leaves or Copper Leaves, which would give Small Pile of Copper/Tin, similar to Small Piles of Iron? With the amount it yields possibly related to the crop's Gain stat somehow, if possible?

Actually, now that I think about it... How possible would it be to have saplings grow out of crops like normal saplings, though obviously without the direct benefit of bonemeal? This might open the door to tree breeding in IC2, which might provide varying benefits based on stats and species. Growth and Gain should be obvious; Growth causes the sapling to go from crop to tree faster, while Gain increases the number of logs are put on that tree. No idea what Resistance would provide to the tree after it's grown, though, if anything.

Still no idea what these trees could provide beyond more wood, though...

• What about making them into small 1x1 bush, growing all sorts of fruits.

There aren't many fruits in the current crop system, from what i understand (though with the addition of two new vegetables i now have no clue about agriculture.)

• OH, NO! With Thermal Expansion one could get infinite Wood from compressing Logs! And which Planks would we get from compressing Sticks?

We could say that's thermal expansion wich is OP ? Or simply make: 4 stick --> 1 plank.

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Well, as sayd before, this would be too much for work for almost nothing, after all, Wood is kinda easy to get, even in automated forms.

If you want diferent colours, use the PaintGun mod (http://www.minecraftforum.net/…age__st__20#entry18770977) it is neat, almost conflictless and has awesome TP compatibility.

I wouldnt say no to a bush that produces apples, but the Mo' crops mod and familiar ones do that very well...

And about the sticks to planks, the best would be 4 sticks - 1 plank or 6 sticks - 1 plank, in order to make it a not as good way to get wood, but i have no idea how can we code a machine that requires 4 of X in order to produce Y, speacially because you could just remove the sticks in the middle of the operation...

The Viper will hide in the shadows... unseen... unheard... and when you least expect, she strikes.

• And about the sticks to planks, the best would be 4 sticks - 1 plank or 6 sticks - 1 plank, in order to make it a not as good way to get wood, but i have no idea how can we code a machine that requires 4 of X in order to produce Y, speacially because you could just remove the sticks in the middle of the operation...

It's already done. 8 Copper Ingot + Compressor.

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!